"Official" Residents Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, Nov 3, 2009.

1. TheSleeper

TheSleeper Martyr Apprentice

Here's all the hidden tracks in the series so far:
    Third Reich disc 2 - two Oh Mummy radio ads. nothing you'd kill to hear honestly
    Commercial Album Disc 1 - a concentrate of the radio ads, basically 5-second snippets of every song with an announcer saying their titles
    Mole Box disc 5 (Uncle Sam show) - interview with Hardy Fox before the Uncle Sam show
    Not Available disc 2 - the untitled "Rest Aria" loop
    Nickle disc 2 - "hellooooo everybody" tape, this one's on streaming services so it's not really hidden but it's unlisted so..

surfling, Scope J and wolfram like this.
  2. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Cool! Thank you.

I will have another look at my Mole Box for the Hardy Fox interview, since I have that on CD as well.

Scope J likes this.
  3. Buster Stabs Big Bubbles!

Buster Stabs Big Bubbles! Forum Resident

Does anyone know when the Residents officially stopped using the E-mu Emulator and started moving onto using computer-based DAWs? I suspect that this happened at some time between God in Three Persons and Hunters, but it's difficult to tell.

4. TheSleeper

Last time I can remember hearing Emulators is on the Cube E tour (perfect use of sampling imo). Freak Show was already almost entirely computer-based.

vince likes this.
  5. Buster Stabs Big Bubbles!

Ah cool. It does make sense that they would embrace new musical technology with the Freak Show music given that they were also embracing the CD-ROM form of media.

How do you differentiate the Emulator sound from the computer-based MIDI one, by the way, in terms of sound? Is it in terms of the patches/samples themselves, the way they were played, or both? The sound palette of Tunes of Two Cities and George & James sound different than that of Freak Show and Hunters, but it's hard for me to describe the difference in words.

6. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I've never considered a Digital Audio Workstation to be an instrument in the sense that the E-mu is/was . It's a hardware-software solution designed for recording and editing audio files. Did they use one of these to make music for live performance?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  7. TheSleeper

I think it's the samples, yea. Particularly the silly trumpet which I miss dearly, that's completely gone in Cube E - I suppose they replaced it for that toy saxophone which just isn't as fun but still charming, I'd say. Cube E just sounds... shiny. If you listen to the 13th Anniversary sound, it's really murky and almost feels like they're using toys. That low-quality sound. The sampling/instrumentation in Cube E is like the complete opposite, it's like the Residents just covered everything in futuristic chrome. That's probably computers doing the work now, either that or they just suddenly learned how to make Emulators sound better. Hardy was playing heavily with midi/computer music ever since the.. Snakey Wake, I think? So I'd guess Cube E is when the change happened and Freak Show is definitely more inorganic (some would say lifeless) than anything previous

surfling likes this.
  8. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

This is interesting!
    ( I assumed the tracks that WEREN'T on the original ESD CD wound up on the pREServed sets...
    maybe I'm wrong!
    [​IMG]

‘Icky Flux – The Original Soundtrack Recording’
    LIMITED EDITION ORANGE AND YELLOW VINYL 2LP

• FIRST TIME EVER RELEASE FOR THE COMPLETE ALTERNATIVE SOUNDTRACK TO THE GROUP’S SEMINAL 2001 VIDEO
    • BRILLIANT STUDIO RE-INTERPRETATIONS OF CLASSIC MATERIAL, INCLUDING ‘HELLO SKINNY’, ‘CONSTANTINOPLE’, ‘THIS IS A MAN’S MAN’S MAN’S WORLD’, THE ‘ONE MINUTE MOVIES’ AND MORE
    • 2LP SET PRESSED ON ORANGE AND YELLOW VINYL
    • AVAILABLE IN LIMITED QUANTITIES WORLDWIDE

Released to mark the turn of the new millennium in 2001, the “Icky Flix” DVD showcased The Residents award winning videos in glorious technicolour.

To accompany those icky old films, the group also produced brand new recordings of each of the twenty songs, providing an alternate new soundtrack to some otherwise ancient visual material.

Inspired in places, plain ridiculous in others, “Icky Flix – The Original Soundtrack Recording” now brings together those Residential classics in their unedited entirety, as reworked by the group and singer Molly Harvey in the year 2000.

Familiar to fans, enticing to the curious and just too damn weird to everybody else, this is The Residents up to their old tricks again, reworking some of their favourite old tunes in their own style. Whether or not some members of the group ever realised they’d recorded the originals of those tunes in the first place is anybody’s guess.

Available exclusively for Record Store Day 2020, on coloured vinyl and in limited quantities worldwide.

Track List:

Side A

1. Icky In?
    2. The Third Reich & Roll
    3. Constantinople
    4. Hello Skinny
    5. Kick A Picnic
    6. Moisture
    7. Act Of Being Polite
    8. Perfect Love
    9. Simple Song
    10. Songs For Swinging Larvae

Side B

1. Where Is She?
    2. Vileness Fats (Concentrate)

Side C

1. This Is A Man’s Man’s Man’s World
    2. Stars And Stripes Forever
    3. Harry The Head
    4. Jelly Jack The Boneless Boy
    5. The Gingerbread Man (Concentrate)

Side D

1. He Also Serves
    2. Bad Day On The Midway (Concentrate)
    3. Just For You (Disfigured Night Part 7)
    4. Burn Baby Burn
    5. Icky Out!

9. Odourman

Odourman Active Member

It's a Casio Digital Horn. I have one myself.
    Today I like Cube E more because it sounds so retro midi. More than I used to. I'm really enjoying listning to the midi sounds of The Residents now.
    I used to play games with my Sound Blaster on PC. I connected my synth and used sound fonts.
    I loved Bad Day in the Midway as a kid. The Residents Freak Show is one of favorites now. It's nostalgic.

surfling and vince like this.
  10. TheSleeper

Some of them did, but we still got some of them left like "Stars & Stripes", "Harry the Head", "Where is She", etc.! Pretty neat that the whole thing is finally showing up, hopefully in actual stereo mixes too instead of just squashing and compressing the surround mixes into stereo...

11. vince

US TOUR CANCELLED!!!
    [​IMG]

Friday, March 13 2020, 7:02am

NORTH AMERICAN TOUR POSTPONED
    OH NO!!! ...but unfortunately - OH YES!!!
    Yes, it's true The Residents are postponing their eagerly awaited DOG STAB! American tour! This was not a decision that came easily for the Cryptics or THE UNDEFINED FOUR but these are STRANGE TIMES and while The Residents easily embrace odd, sickness, especially the enabling of disease among their loyal fans is something else - MONDO UNCOOL! But for you lucky dudes and dudettes in Europe, nothing is changed. The Residents will be cooling their eyeballs in the old country in January and February of next year! Meanwhile, WASH YOUR HANDS... and stuff like that!

bzfgt likes this.
  12. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

:cry:

vince likes this.
  13. Scope J

Hopefully we will get MM&B soon.

vince likes this.
  14. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Just some clarification on MIDI, as it seems to be wholly misunderstood by music fans and non-electronic musicians all over.

MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) is not an instrument itself, nor is it a computer. It is simply an interface that allows communication and connectivity between controllers and electronic instruments or other gear.

MIDI has no sound of its own, and you don't even need a computer to use MIDI. At the simplest level, you can use a MIDI cable (5 pin standard) to control one synthesizer (the sound source) from another keyboard (the controller). There are MIDI files and software that were developed along with computer technology for music production; but these are not audio files or sound sources, they are just parameters or instructions that send messages from the controller or DAW (digital audio workstation) to the instrument or sound source.

So The Residents used MIDI, but the MIDI was not what you were hearing. It's like describing the sound of a guitar by talking about the movements of the fingers.

Sorry for the lecture, but my nerd alarms were going off. As you were.

15. vince

There's a new "Home Age Conversation" podcast up!

16. Scope J

Any werd on MM&B?

17. Buster Stabs Big Bubbles!

Citizensmurf - Thanks for including the explanation!

I'm actually more curious about what exactly MIDI was used in conjunction with from the 90s on. Like, what specific software, what presets/sample banks/soundfonts/VSTs they were using. I'm also guessing that at this point, by "they", we exclusively mean Hardy Fox.

I ask this because I love the different kinds of "Residential" tones and I'm always trying to replicate it when making my own music. I do find that SQ8L does a pretty good job of it - it's a freeware VST that can be imported into most DAWs like FL Studio.

And yeah, it's a real bummer about the US tour - I had gotten a ticket to see them here in Seattle in April.

18. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

All quiet over at Cherry Red, save for the Icky Flix double LP for the now-postponed Record Store Day...I wonder what's next?

19. nje50

nje50 Forum Resident

Scope J likes this.
  20. Scope J

HAPPY BIRTHDAY H!

[​IMG]

vince, homeslice, bzfgt and 3 others like this.
  21. Scope J

From the Official site:

North American Tour RESCHEDULED for 2021

WE ARE INDEED BACK!!! Well practically... sort of... The Residents' Dog Stab tour has been rescheduled for the spring of 2021 and all of us who aren't dead by then will be HUMPIN' and BUMPIN'!!! WE'RE COMIN' TO YOUR TOWN, WE'RE GONNA PARTY IT DOWN!!!

[​IMG]

22. vince

At first, I thought this was the 'tribute' album from the '90's!!!! Then, I remembered, that was "Eyesore"!
    Looking at the track list, I see some things I DON'T have!!!!:yikes:

nje50, Scope J and acetboy like this.
  23. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Quick question: what Free Weird MP3 was posted two weeks ago, March 20?

24. Scope J

25. vince

No "Ralph Radio Special" cassette??
    I would think the "Buckaroo/Black" cassette would be the rarest!
    Hope so, since I have one!