"Official" Residents Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, Nov 3, 2009.

1. TheSleeper

TheSleeper Martyr Apprentice

I was going to anyway but I guess I have to buy the CD and wait an obscene amount of time for it to come in the mail if I wanna hear "Midnight Man"

vince likes this.
  2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I'll be getting my physical copy next month, so I'll the full-length then.
    Still....weird, huh?

3. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

4. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

Yep, same here - my favourite is the guitar on "River Runs Dry".
    Does Eric Feldman also play guitar? Or maybe Black Francis contributed some?

Love the guitar playing, love the vibe, and the fact that the band does not try exactly very hard to give the feel of a "lost blues recording" - some of it is straight ahead blues, but many of the tracks remind me more of something like MX-80 Sound trying to sound like the Cramps or something. Which is meant as a compliment! There definitely is a New Wave kind of vibe running through the album.

To me these tracks are the true highlight of the double album and I'm actually surprised they weren't discussed more here after their initial release last year, I think they are all pretty amazing musically - you definitely get the feeling that the band had a lot of fun setting these up and playing them. But maybe most of you only had the chance to listen to them this week finally too, like me...

whatprogress, acetboy and Scope J like this.
  5. Scope J

I'm wondering if Roland is
    on the 45 box tracks, some
    serious R&B chops there!

whatprogress likes this.
  6. vince

From the 'Residents-adjacent' dept:
    Mark Holser from Negativland put up pictures of Rather Ripped Records circa 1978 on the Negativland FB page!
    Negativland

7. Buster Stabs Big Bubbles!

Buster Stabs Big Bubbles! Forum Resident

New Homer Flynn interview! (AFAIK, this is unrelated to the Australian interview mentioned earlier).
    Just started watching it now. Looks like it is pretty fresh, since at this time only 12 others have seen it.

vince likes this.
  8. vince

I DO like the idea of a THREE-VOLUME set of 'art-books' devoted to the art of 'pour-no'!

Scope J likes this.
  9. Scope J

10. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I Do. Too.

vince and Scope J like this.
  11. Buster Stabs Big Bubbles!

Buster Stabs Big Bubbles! Forum Resident

I finished listening to the interview - I really liked it! Audio cuts out in a few places, but otherwise I enjoyed it. Also it's really cool to see a 9-year-old fan of the Residents.

The first thing that came to mind was the Buy of Die! Ralph Records book. Not three volumes, but still pretty cool:
    https://www.amazon.com/Records-Artwork-1972-2015-English-Italian/dp/8899770069

A former co-worker (also a huge Residents fan) purchased a copy and lent it to me for a weekend, it was pretty fun to look through. It was focused more on the visual art than the music itself, but there was some interesting trivia. From what I remember, Snakefinger's original moniker was going to be Comradefinger, since at one point when he was playing, a band member noticed that his fingers resembled the Soviet hammer and sickle. I also remember that the "Duck" in Duck Stab wasn't originally about ducks, but about ducking (like crouching) and stabbing.

Also - this is the Finnish band that Homer mentioned. He's mentioned this band in another interview too:

12. nje50

nje50 Forum Resident

vince and Scope J like this.
  13. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

And for those of you who like me have no idea where to click: it's the first show under

3. The Other Window

from 07-07-2020.

And the interview starts at about 45 minutes in.

14. Scope J

15. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

93curr, edenofflowers, vince and 5 others like this.
  16. whatprogress

whatprogress Cowbell Enthusiast

17. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

I really did, didn't it?! The guy who lipsynced with his mobile did them a major favour but everyone brought The Rez their game.

18. kbmh

kbmh Forum Resident

19. vince

DISC FOUR

CUBE-E LIVE IN SAN FRANCISCO, 1989

1. BUCKAROO BLUES
    2. BLACK BARRY

I wonder if this is the 'cassette-only' version!

20. kbmh

kbmh Forum Resident

Boy, good question. I've been meaning to put that on my laptop but there was a COVID related accident involving said laptop and a glass of wine... Ugh...

bzfgt likes this.
  21. vince

True.
    Not having the entire RMX seems odd.
    And, the box-set form years ago had a DVD!

octophone likes this.
  22. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

I love that video. lol What a hoot! And it seems like they did all of this so quickly. Wasn't it just a week or two ago that they announced it all and asked for contributions??

I'm really enjoying the new album also. I've listened to it quite a few times now. I think it's wonderful. With the first cd, it's like all of those songs could fit right in on other
    works from the past. Love the vocals and everything about it instrumentally. Great guitar work.

And then the second cd does pretty much seem like it could be some vintage release from 50 years ago. Well it doesn't take too much imagination to hear it that way.

bzfgt and Scope J like this.
  23. kbmh

kbmh Forum Resident

It irks me that there is so little professional footage from CUBE-E. I saw the show at the Cowell Theater in SF and it was such a brilliant piece of theater. Between that and the last show of the 13th Anniversary Tour with Penn & Teller - my favorite Residents live shows.

24. kbmh

kbmh Forum Resident

It's certainly surprising that they left off Viva Las Vegas RMX as they (or Euro Ralph) went out of their way to make a promo CD for it:

The Residents - Viva Las Vegas RMX

I believe Euro Ralph was selling them as well.

vince likes this.
  25. vince

For as beautiful as CUBE-E was, they never had the extra $ to professionally film it...
    Beautify photos, though....
    I was lucky enough to catch it TWICE !!