"Official" Residents Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, Nov 3, 2009.

1. TheSleeper

TheSleeper Martyr Apprentice

the Bad Day twitch thing sounds exciting. hopefully thats real someday

2. DannyRiggs80

DannyRiggs80 Well-Known Member

surfling likes this.
  3. TheSleeper

That was fast, hopefully I can be home in time! Maybe i could watch the VOD later but that's no fun...

4. DannyRiggs80

DannyRiggs80 Well-Known Member

If you missed the Bad Day twitch session:

Twitch

surfling likes this.
  5. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

What a busy few days in RZ-land!

surfling and DannyRiggs80 like this.
  6. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

Thanks, I watched a little but to be honest all the tech problems in the beginning turned me off.
    I've seen this a few times with podcasts too lately. There is a reason for the concept of a soundcheck...
    The run-through video that was linked earlier does the same job better.

TheSleeper likes this.
  7. Mort Portos

Mort Portos dugga dugga dugga

I had assumed from that Discord transcript that Homer was going to be in on the Twitch stream, too. Oh well.

Have any of you received your Secret Records Bunny-related vinyl yet? How do they sound? I finally got around to ordering BB-live on cd, plus some other ones I've been meaning to actually buy: Brumalia, Roman de la Rose, Codgers and Ughs.

8. TheSleeper

I'm forkin' over a darn fortune to repurchase Eskimo Deconstructed and IBD Live since I'm pretty sure they got lost in the mail. Remember kids: Always pay extra for tracking.

9. Mort Portos

Mort Portos dugga dugga dugga

Oh, dude. I'm so sorry. That's Real ****ty.

TheSleeper likes this.
  10. vince

Somebody put up some extra "Vileness Fats" footage!

11. vince

12. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

Different from what's on the Theory Of Obscurity extras? That would be amazing!

13. vince

There's some 'extra-length',to my eyes, at least.

14. vince

Meanwhile....
    The Residents thank you for subscribing.
    View this email in your browser
    Hello there!

We do hope this finds you well and thriving. Perhaps an irritating neighbour has just had to move away to look after an elderly relative, or those weird trousers you bought back in '86 have finally come into style.

And why not. But this is a Residents mailout, so let's stop talking trousers and talk Residents. Well, the big news is the tour dates. That's right, after a year or so starved of the public attention and approval they so desperately need, the Fad Four are hitting the road again, both in the US (which is somewhere near Mexico) and in Europe. Fancy some of that? Then be here then:

[​IMG]
    TICKETS USA 2021

21.08. 2021: The Imperial, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    23.08. 2021: Urban Lounge, Salt Lake City, Utah
    24.08. 2021: Bluebird Theater, Denver, Colorado
    26.08. 2021: The Cedar, Minneapolis, Minnesota
    27.08. 2021: Lincoln Hall, Chicago, Illinois
    28.08. 2021: The Shelter, Detroit, Michigan
    30.08. 2021: Higher Ground, Burlington, Vermont
    31.08. 2021: The Sinclair, Cambridge, Massachusetts
    02.09. 2021: (le) poisson rouge, New York City, New York
    03.09. 2021:The Foundry, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    04.09. 2021: Ottobar, Baltimore, Maryland
    05.09. 2021: Cat's Cradle, Carrboro, North Carolina
    06.09. 2021: Variety Playhouse, Atlanta, Georgia
    09.09. 2021: The Kessler, Dallas, Texas
    10.09. 2021: The Heights, Houston, Texas
    11.09. 2021: The Parish, Austin, Texas
    14.09. 2021: 191 Toole, Tucson, Arizona
    15.09. 2021: The Regent Theater, Los Angeles, California
    18.09. 2021: The Rio Theater, Santa Cruz, California

TICKETS EUROPE 2022

21.01.2022: NL - Amsterdam, Melkweg
    22.01.2022: D - Essen, Zeche Carl
    24.01.2022: D - Frankfurt, Mousonturm
    25.01.2022: A - Wien, Flex
    26.01.2022: CZ - Prague, Palac Akropolis
    27.01.2022: PL - Wroclaw, Stary Klasztor
    28.01.2022: PL - Gdansk, B 90
    30.01.2022: D - Berlin, ColumbiaTheater
    02.02.2022: DK - Copenhagen, Loppen
    03.02.2022: N -Oslo, Rockefeller
    04.02.2022: N - Larvik, Bølgen
    06.02.2022: B - Brussels, Botanique
    14.02.2022: FL - Helsinki, The Savoy Theatre

TICKETS UK & IRELAND 2022

08.02.2022: UK - London, Union Chapel
    09.02.2022: UK - Bristol, St Georges
    10.02.2022: UK - Newcastle, Boiler Shop
    11.02.2022: IRL - Dublin, Button Factory
    12.02.2022: UK - Leeds, Irish Centre

Rumours abound concerning possible set-lists, costly dressing room demands and Cha-Cha's ongoing battle with TikTok addiction, but we're assured all is well besides and a boffo night is guaranteed for all. Including you!

Meanwhile, the group recently recorded a unique performance for the upcoming Night Music 40th Anniversary. Duck Stab Alive! was produced in conjunction with the band's longtime great pal John Sanborn, and will air via Nite Flite's Night Flight Plus app, and maybe elsewhere, as of June 5th. Be sure to tune in.
    [​IMG]

The group's ongoing pREServed series continues this month too - 'Gingerbread Man' is issued as both an LP and a 3CD set packed with unreleased material on May 28th, and as we speak the band are piecing together an extensive 'Wormwood' package, including a vinyl release. It goes without saying the guys continue to be equally shocked, freaked out and delighted at the interest in their old offcuts and whatnot, so a huge thanks to everybody who continues to buy, stream, dissect, critique and enjoy these remarkable sets.

Then there's the upcoming Record Store Day release, which is a delight. 'Leftovers Again?!' will be upon us on June 12th, and is packed full of previously unheard stuff, different versions of familiar tunes, demos and unlistenable old nonsense of the very best kind. Created under lockdown conditions, and culled from the original multitrack tapes, it's a keeper. Not to be missed, that one.

And finally, we're pleased to report The Residents are hard at work finishing their forthcoming movie, which may or may not completely change the paradigm of film-making forever. An accompanying OST is also being prepared, and word is that almost everybody is almost happy with almost all of it, which is a good place to be. You'll be the first to hear of it once whatever happens next happens next.

And that was that. As ever, please know that The Residents are watching over you, and only ever want to make you happy. They just have trouble showing it.

Your pals,
    New Ralph Too

[​IMG]

joebacons, Sytze, wolfram and 2 others like this.
  15. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Thanks for this! Just got my ticket for January 2022. I haven't bought a concert ticket in quite a while.

Scope J likes this.
  16. vince

Scope J likes this.
  17. Dave in Preston

Dave in Preston Forum Resident

Will Sergeant of Echo and the Bunnymen was a Residents fan. He and Bill Drummond, their manager at the time, went to the same Mole Show gig as I did (Birmingham Town Hall, England, 28th June 1983)

bzfgt, vince and Scope J like this.
  18. vince

Would that be the reason how THIS wound up on the Korova label?
    [​IMG]

19. Dave in Preston

Dave in Preston Forum Resident

It's very possible, E&TB were the biggest band on Korova

20. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I also have a George & James lp on Korova.

21. TheSleeper

The Fat Boy tape is very interesting. "Little Thoughts" and "Trail Mix" are actually Cube E quotes for some reason? "Trail Mix" even got used in the album and I never noticed it was just "Trail Dance". "Little Thoughts" is just "Little Sister". I was actually wondering if "Little Sister" was an injoke among the Residents, given how they bothered to rework it for Our Finest Flowers (and insist on performing it on two different tours). That is a pretty weird song to begin with so I wouldn't be surprised.

Other thing of note is how the Gingerbread Man instrumental has "Old Soldier" sequenced between "Butcher" and "Old Woman". So if you were to go with the original order, "Aging Musician" would begin the second half of the album, aka Side B in a vinyl format. That would explain the reiteration of Ginger's theme, plus it's a strong opener. I guess either it felt weird to have two songs about old people in a row, or the final order simply sounded better. But it's interesting that Hardy would still bother to sequence the album for vinyl.

And I wish the final album didn't have every song start with a fade-in... it would sound so much better without them.

citizensmurf likes this.
  22. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I got my copy yesterday but haven't played it yet. Read through the liner notes, they are really great. The G3P to Fillmore 97 era of the Rez is my hands down favourite, so I love that the Preserved series is getting into it. I do hope a Bad Day one comes out, as it my not be a proper "album", but the music on the game and the Have a Bad Day is some of their best.

It doesn't shock me at all that the back story to the Hunters sessions was made up (That Slab Called Night). Still, what a great amount of music. Hunters (as I've said before) is truly legendary.

Sarcasm alert
    (What! The Residents lie about their history to foster a more interesting myth. It can't be.)

octophone and TheSleeper like this.
  23. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

I started on the Hunters/Prelude to the Teds disc as I'd only previously heard the Hunters Concentrate from "Our Tired, Our Poor..." which is barely 4 minutes long! A good decision as the other 2 discs inevitably suffer from the occasional longueurs that are inevitable in a content-packed compendium like this. I think that third disc is the one to which I'll be returning, to the point where I've "revised" the packaging decision and put it in one of the card sleeves.

wolfram and citizensmurf like this.
  24. 86mets

86mets Counting Crows #1 Fan

I envy those of you who live in the area otherwise known as "NOT USA"...I'm still waiting on my copy...can hardly wait...

25. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Ironically, I waited about 3 months to get my copy of Freak Show from Amazon.ca, but my copy of Gingerbread Man arrived on the release day. It's not just shipping delays in our own areas, they are everywhere.

Last edited: May 30, 2021