Oh no! indy mike's pick ONE tune per hour thread topic: Songs done under an alias....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by indy mike, Aug 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

Here's an obvious one: The Traveling Wilburys

2. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

"Don't Tell Me What To Do" - The Sllednats (Standells)

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

3. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

:laugh:

Glove go get Bob. :cool:

4. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

"Somebody's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonight" - Earl Vince and The Valiants (Fleetwood Mac)

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

5. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

"The Chipmunk Song" (AWA others) - - The Chipmunks (David Seville)

6. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Great song ... Lou Ann Barton has adopted it as a signature song in her live act for the last 20 years.

Hometown boy :) ... who gets more recognition in Europe ... unfortunately, he is very sick. :(

7. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

"Cinnamon" (#11 in '68) - - Derek (Johnny Cymbal - - "Mr. Bass Man" (#16 in '63))

8. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

THRILLINGTON- Percy "Thrills" Thrillington
    AKA Paul McCartney

9. Shakey

Shakey New Member

Sorry wrong thread!

10. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

"Bumble Boogie" (#21 - '61) - - B. Bumble (Ernie Freeman on piano) & The Stingers (Earl Palmer on drums, Rene Hall on guitar, Tommy Tedesco on guitar and Red Calender on bass) ... BTW, this was supposedly recorded at Gold Star.

11. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

The Lion Sleeps Tonight (#3 - '72) - - Robert John (Bobby Pedrick, Jr. - - "White Bucks and Saddle Shoes" (#74 - '58)) ... Pedrick had some better 45s in the late '50s that never charted.

12. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

chip - here's another from Rockin' Ronnie Dawson - Mr. Dawson went from Backbeat Records to a label run by Big Ed McLemore (of Sportatorium fame) to Columbia (who really didn't have much luck with rock and roll up to that point); unfortunately for Ronnie, things didn't get any better at Columbia, as his tune Do Do Do performed under the alternate monicker Commonwealth Jones (again with the Jones) died on the vine.

What's got Ronnie in poor health? He was keeping the flame alive for lovers of true rock and roll...

Hey Boss - this one's legit, too!!!

13. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Masked Marauders!

;)

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I don't know if this was mentioned but, due to a contract dispute with Decca Records, Buddy Holly released "That'll Be The Day" under the name "The Crickets".

15. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

Steve,
    Was that the one that was recorded at Owen Bradley's Barn in Nashville? Then again, probably not, since the Crickets weren't allowed to play.

I've got that one on vinyl on the box that's supposed to be "comprehensive." (Blue bkgrnd, w Holley on cover, white trim edging).

Definitely sounds stilted compared to the hit version.

Doug

16. indy mike

Hey - you said you couldn't think of any earlier! ;)

Gospel fans might recognize the name David Walker from his singing with the gospel group The Mighty Clouds of Joy - me, I know him better as the leather lunged howler Bunker Hill, whose raw and rockin' Hide and Go Seek actually snuck its way onto the Top 40 chart. Even better, Link Wray and his brother Vernon Wray aka Ray Vernon aka Lucky Wray (I'll get to that later) were behind Mr. Hills sneaky secular song sensation... Joan Jett did a nice cover version of Hide and Go Seek, but it ain't as wild as this screamer - dig it on Ace's Golden Age of Rock and Roll #6....

17. indy mike

Well, that box WAS comprehensive until Steve started palying vault digger and found some undubbed goodies in the MCA vaults; there's been more neat-o stuff that's popped up since then that's waiting for a legitimate release. I guess holding our breath for an up-to-date Buddy box wouldn't be a good idea... :(

18. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

The big "C" ... inoperable ... but my friend told me tonight that it appears to be in remission ... which is good news.

19. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Don't Go Near The Eskimos (#62 in '62) - - Ben Colder (Sheb Wooley ("Ben Miller" in the movie "High Noon" and "Pete Nolan" on TV's Rawhide) - - "The Purple People Eater" (#1 in '58))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.