OJC SACD's again

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by trumpetplayer, Feb 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member Thread Starter

I know this has been discussed but, I listened to the Gil Evans plus 10 sacd, that sounds great. but the others i have

Sonny Rollins - Tenor Madness
    Art Pepper - plus eleven
    Miles Davis - Relaxing

they sound good, but nothing really special. I may need to do some more listening. does any know if Fantasy used the original master tapes on those.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Most of the SACDs in the series have sounded lackluster.... I agree.

3. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I wonder if Fantasy got the message. So far the few I listened to out of the second batch of ten (which includes Eric Dolphy, Art Pepper, Isaac Hayes "Shaft", John Coltrane and Kenny Burrell, etc.) sound so much better than most that were released in the first batch of 10.

You mention Art Pepper + 11 - I think this SACD sounds wonderful, maybe not the best sounding SACD out there, but much better than almost anything from the 1st batch of 10 released last year. Miles Davis "Relaxin" - I have but have yet to listen to.

As you wonder, though, I also wonder what these SACDs were sourced from (all 20 Fantasy, with the exception of Gil Evans + 10). I assume that they were not taken from the original tapes, but from the exact same sources that were used for the redbook release of the same title.

4. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport New Member

I picked up Shaft today but won't get a chance to listen until tomorrow night. I picked up Relaxin over the weekend at listened to it along with Cookin' (Analogue Productions) and Steamin (MFSL) and I have to say Relaxin sounds like a CD compared to the other two. I'll buy Workin just to have it, but I wish AP was releasing it.

5. Claude

Claude Senior Member

6. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

has anyone compared the XRCD versions with the SACDs of the Miles Davis and Art Pepper titles? - that could be interesting.

7. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

I did this with the Art Pepper title. The SACD sounded more flat and had better detail in my opinion. The XRCD definitely had more "Air" to it. The XRCD is not bad at all, but the SACD sounds better (and a bit more dynamic) to me.

8. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

I am very curious about the sources myself.

9. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

Do you know who is releasing Workin'?

10. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member Thread Starter

My guess is that Fantasy will be releasing it, I doubt that they will let anyone license too much of there catalog for sacd when they can do themselves and increase profit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.