Okki Nokki One RCM

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Robber Soul, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Got the seam split blues again

Don't mean to sidetrack the thread, but to hear that you've 'had nothing but problems with' a $700+ RCM is absolutely ridiculous. I see that Pro-ject model has mediocre reviews on Amazon. There should really be NO problems when spending that kind of money on any RCM.

2. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

Absolutely agree @Mattatall. Customer service is key in these matters, and so is word of mouth. That's why these threads are so important for us buyers.

3. Henrik_Swe

Henrik_Swe Well-Known Member

It sure is. Let's just say that by now I know a multitude of defects that this particular RCM might have, given that I am now on unit 4, which works for the most part... It's sad really. As for customer service - both the retailer and the distributor were nothing but accommodating, they're just dealing with a subpar product.

4. WhatDoIKnow

That, at least, is good.
    I am really digging my Okki Nokki One but if it should act up I wouldn't know who to turn to, except the online shop I bought it from, but that's in the Netherlands and I'm in Italy so that would be fun...

5. WhatDoIKnow

I am really enjoying having it, though. Getting better at using it as I go along. Wonderful thing. I bought it because I would get mad trying to clean my records with a MoFi brush and a carbon fibre brush - sometimes I would just give up, the dust sorta refused to get off the vinyl. Now my records are clean, shiny and dust-free. Hurrah!

6. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

superficial surface dust isnt that big of a deal though, its the stuff in the grooves that you mainly want to clean. But yes, I find brushes very ineffective too.

Henrik_Swe likes this.
  7. Henrik_Swe

Henrik_Swe Well-Known Member

Yeah, that'd be something. So there is no distributor in Italy? What about other parts of Europe, if you would happen to know? Just curious.

8. WhatDoIKnow

I think they have a distributor in the UK but that doesn't help now that they aren't part of the EU anymore.
    I think Okki Nokki is... Danish? So I guess I would contact them directly, if any problem arose.

9. WhatDoIKnow

Netherlands, Okki Nokki is originally from the Netherlands, not from Denmark, I just checked. Just like the online shop I bought it from.
    It shouldn't be a big problem contacting them or the online shop, I should imagine. But I'd rather not test it...

Henrik_Swe likes this.
  10. WhatDoIKnow

No, you're right of course, but I find that cleaning new records and replacing the usually cheap paper sleeves they come in really makes a big difference - I pull them out and no speck of dirt, nothing. Very satisfying! :agree:

Leonthepro likes this.
  11. WhatDoIKnow

By the way, I follow the advice of placing the record(s) on the smaller platter but I must add that, in a couple of cases, doing so resulted in the vacuum not removing the veil of liquid.
    The first time this happened I started to worry that something was wrong with the machine but then I realised that the vacuum tube wasn't as close as it should be to the surface of the record, and that the problem was the record itself, which was/is quite warped. I then removed the smaller platter and used the bigger one and with the record now adhering to the (bigger) platter, voilà, the vacuum did its job and all was well again.

Henrik_Swe likes this.
  12. Leonthepro

Its great to have both options.

Henrik_Swe and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  13. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident Thread Starter

I finally got a call that mine has FINALLY arrived. What are your impressions now that you've had a chance to use it for a couple of weeks?

displayname likes this.
  14. WhatDoIKnow

Very happy. As someone stated earlier, the noise when activating the vacuum is "Miele quiet", which I think is an apt description. So yes, quite quiet. I don't have a problem using it during the evening and I don't have to wear ear protection, like someone said about a different RCM.
    Plus it comes with everything you might ever want: one vacuum arm with different settings for 7",10" (I used this setting and of course it's just as good as the) 12". A useful cover, which if I understand correctly not all others have, two platters for 7" and 12"...
    Very well made, very easy to clean.
    I couldn't imagine being without it, to be honest.

Robber Soul, Callahan and GyroSE like this.
  15. happysunshine

happysunshine Tillverkningen av Salubrin startades 1893

I picked up my One yesterday so haven’t lived with it for long but cleaned 3-4 records yesterday. Overall I’m pretty satisfied.

I had the first version of the Okki Nokki about 15 years ago (how time flies!) and both the platter motor and especially the vacuum is A LOT more quiet on the One. I remember using these huge Peltor earmuffs because the vacuum was so annoyingly loud. Not anymore!

Looking at the photos of the One, I expected it to be made out of aluminium or something but it’s all plastic and kind of lightweight, at least compared to the old Okki Nokki which was made out of wood and some kind of vinyl (?) clothing, right? Even the platter on the One is made out of plastic and also the vacuum arm (which was metal on the old one). Nothing wrong with that, just not what I expected.

The clear plastic dust cover is a bit so-so. It doesn’t really fit the machine and doesn’t stay in place that good, but I’m glad it was included.

16. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

On the US site they state it's a "molded ABS unibody design" and "made of high-grade ABS ", which is one reason I'm considering it. Less to rot, warp, etc.

happysunshine and MGW like this.
  17. Leonthepro

I have the old Okki model and I use earmuffs too, loud indeed.

The problem with the old one being wood is that if any small potential leak happens it can really damage the unit, directly and over time. I coated the whole inside with several layers of paint to make it less prone to rot and expansion, already had a leak and it messed up the bottom plate pretty bad. I heard the new one is 1 solid mold, is it not possible to open it up in any way?

I thought the One had a metal arm too though, thats a bummer, I do like my original metal one. This may be the only Con I can think of if I were to upgrade. Can you not use the old metal arm on the new One model though?

happysunshine likes this.
  18. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

The wand/arm is metal and plastic - the part to which the 'lips' attach being metal (the wand/arm itself) and the mount being plastic. The mount should be easier and more economical to manufacture precisely and consistently in plastic than metal.

WhatDoIKnow and happysunshine like this.
  19. happysunshine

You’re absolutely right — it’s just the base of the arm that’s plastic. My bad! I wrote my post at work while having nothing to do and my memory ain’t what it used to be!

MGW and Leonthepro like this.
  20. happysunshine

As @MGW pointed out above, it’s actually only the mount that is plastic, the arm itself is metal. I’m pretty sure the old arm won’t fit the One, because the vacuum opening is quite a bit larger on the new version and of a different design.

Again, I might be wrong as it’s been years since I had the old machine!

Leonthepro likes this.
  21. happysunshine

I obviously ordered the thing half asleep and missed that bit of info! As you say, ABS is definitely preferable and a better material when working with fluids. I just sort of missed the feel and weight of the old version.

WhatDoIKnow, Leonthepro and JackG like this.
  22. Chester0711

Chester0711 Forum Resident

Has anyone seen these in stock anywhere stateside? Literally holding out for one but they seem to be very backed up production-wise.
    I see on their site it says the pre-orders should ship out at end of feb? Anybody get theirs?

23. dusttones

dusttones Forum Resident

They are delayed a few weeks now. It sounds like preorders should be shipped mid March.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  24. WhatDoIKnow

That's great news. And it'll be worth the wait :righton:

25. dusttones

dusttones Forum Resident

Mine just shipped, estimated delivery is Friday.

WhatDoIKnow and MGW like this.