Olivia: If Not For You: Deluxe Edition - Yeah, It's Compressed.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by COBill, Sep 12, 2022.

1. COBill

COBill Forum Resident Thread Starter

Primary Wave has recently released a new, deluxe remastered edition of Olivia Newton-John's If Not For You.

Sadly, as is par for the course in 2022, the remaster compresses dynamics significantly.

While it's not a ridiculous amount, DR drops from 12 from the older release of the title track on her Let Me Be There album to 9 on the new remastered "Deluxe Edition" album.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  2. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    phillyal1, Billy_Sunday and yesstiles like this.
  3. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I have this on order. Too bad it’s compressed. But the entire second disc of additional tracks can make up for that.

I’m glad I kept my Japan Pastmasters series disc from 1990 that sounds absolutely beautiful!

COBill likes this.
  4. COBill

[​IMG]

Galley likes this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

There’s plenty of talk about this in the ONJ appreciation thread. The reissue actually came out last Friday. Not a month ago. Unfortunately there’s a delay with the CD which now seems to be arriving in late September/early October. The vinyl version is out though.

Jarleboy and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

The Pastmasters version is an absolute beauty.

The INFY album is also included in full on the 1994 48 Original Tracks compilation. This remains one of the best sounding CDs I’ve ever heard. By anyone.:)

Jarleboy, WhatDoIKnow and yesstiles like this.
  7. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

What is your source for the top waveform?

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

I've seen worse

WhatDoIKnow and Jarleboy like this.
  10. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

It looks bad enough to me.

Jarleboy and COBill like this.
  11. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Well, it doesn't look like a crew cut. That's something.

WhatDoIKnow and Jarleboy like this.
  12. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

DR9? My god, do the labels not have any respect for the deceased? :rolleyes:

McLover and Jarleboy like this.
  13. COBill

Keep in mind this was remastered and engineered long before her death.

Jarleboy likes this.
  14. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I got the vinyl today and thought it sounded great. I’m really pleased with the mastering and the pressing quality.

Chris_Sydney, COBill and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  15. Chris_Sydney

Chris_Sydney Forum Resident

The reviews so far for both the vinyl and the double CD are good. Even @Bobby Morrow, the fussiest of Olivia connoisseurs, is satisfied! A lengthy essay, a note from Olivia and a singles discography in the CD booklet, plus loads of rare bonus content on the second disc as well.

x

Chiu.0606 and GoodKitty like this.
  16. Bobby Morrow

Never forget that it’s a prerequisite on here that new remasters are given rapturous initial reviews only for people to turn on them a few days/weeks later.:D

But I do have to say they’ve done a great job with the mastering on If Not For You. The package is worth buying for the bonus disc alone, but I’d tell anyone who’s on the fence about this release to definitely get it.

17. Chiu.0606

Chiu.0606 Forum Resident

18. Bobby Morrow

Supposedly 4 tracks are sourced from acetates. The rest are from the mastertapes.

Chiu.0606 likes this.
  19. TimM

TimM Senior Member

Both this new remaster and the earlier Physical one are obviously compressed. Sadly, I have certainly heard many worse remasters, but that doesn't make these ok. I would suggest checking them out on Qobuz, Tidal or Amazon HD and deciding for yourself as I would be the first to say one size does not fit all. Some completists might just want the extra tracks on the second disc while others might just want a CD version since no others are currently in print. Both of those are certainly valid reasons for buying these. In my opinion, the hardcore ONJ fans almost certainly have better sounding versions of the main albums.

AdrianSoundchaser likes this.
  20. MusicMan2020

MusicMan2020 Well-Known Member