Olivia Newton-John Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Yes, that's been debated for years! Maybe it's just a typo? Some songs could have been 'in the can' from 1977, but the feel and sound of 'Totally Hot' is so fresh and alive that I somehow doubt it. Then again, maybe it's just my perception of the album. I do put it on a pedestal rather! Can we email John and ask?!

Song4U likes this.
  2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

30 years old and still gams like a teenager!

Ya, and for the longest time I thought it was released in 1977 because of that. I thought maybe they recorded the album right after filming Grease. That 1977 typo was a major mistake.

Song4U likes this.
  3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Oh come now...I worked so hard on my avatar! I do need to do something about that. Could do a lot worse than having her on my pages! What a stunning beauty.

Song4U and Scopitone like this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

Excellent review as usual, Chris. You should really do a biog/career respective on Olivia! Great points on the artwork, too. I'd forgotten that Olivia 'borrowed' from the 'Grease' look! Took it and updated it! As for the music, Olivia's lyrics, whoever writes her material, seem to have a singular theme. She's the spurned 'girlfriend' trying to get the attention of an uninterested suitor. Poor Olivia!

Song4U likes this.
  5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Any fan of the album owes themselves a treat and needs to get the MFSL on vinyl if they still listen to that format. The MCA is junk, like most of their pressings from that period. I have an extra if anyone around here wants it super cheap. I got it a few weeks ago and it has some pops and clicks...not a huge deal but normally people take good care of their MFSL vinyl and nowI am spoiled and want it perfect. I got a real clean copy last week so if someone that is not real fussy about their vinyl wants to hear a copy, I would like to see someone get some enjoyment from it. Just PM me... I would only feel right getting postage for it...you can have the album!

6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Wow..what an exquisite review...you put mine to shame. Thank you for all the info...I agree with everything you said!

8. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I must have gotten lucky because my brown label USA MCA LP of "Totally Hot" sound absolutely fantastic! My USA MCA rainbow label LP of "Physical" on the other hand sounds like garbage.

9. Bobby Morrow

One more comment on the 'Spirits' album... 'Stop, Think Again'... Yes, they really should have on that one!

10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Regarding Totally Hot, I don't currently own it but recall there was one song that I really liked for the first 3/4, and then the producers had her go through some vocal gymnastics (screaming) and it totally ruined the song for me. Was that the title track? I can't recall.

Still love the two big hits from this album though so after reading all the reviews here, I should give the album another try.

11. Bobby Morrow

It could be the opening track, 'Please Don't Keep Me Waiting'. That has a prolonged outro with Olivia wailing a duet with a vocoder. A bit of an acquired taste! She does get more animated towards the end of the title track too, so it could be that one you mean. Give it another spin!

12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Yeah, I think it was the vocoder. I recall being really, really turned off by it after enjoying the song immensely up to that point. Is there a live version available without that production?

I will give the album another try with a fresh listen in 2014.

13. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

I apologize if these have already been posted. She looks like she might be ready to bestow a "soul kiss" in the 2nd image.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Song4U likes this.
  14. Bobby Morrow

Great picture disc. And you should be so lucky!

15. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

I could die a very happy man if that happened!

16. Bobby Morrow

If it still doesn't tickle your fancy, try her 1981 'Physical' album. It's a really solid pop album that's largely free of vocal acrobatics!

17. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Right and Chris_Sydney while you're at it....make it a coffee table size book with lots of beautiful full page color photos...what a read that would be...proud to display...but what would the cover photo be???...an almost impossible decision!!

18. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

WOW!!
    That is one item I have always wanted and that one looks mint....just amazing!!!

19. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

It's a great one! After importing a copy at a bit of expense when it was initially released I recently found a minty one in a nearby used record store for $4. My jaw dropped! And yes, I grabbed it. Now I can display both sides at once! :)

Song4U likes this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

I got mine in May 1979. My local record shop just happened to have it in. I didn't even know it existed. It cost £7.99, which was around twice as much as a normal LP then.

Pizza likes this.
  21. Bobby Morrow

It does pop up on eBay occasionally and places like Esprit are worth a try. I don't think it's madly expensive either. Though it's not dirt cheap either!

22. Pizza

I would love an SACD release for Totally Hot. (And no surprise, an SACD for Xanadu too!!)

bru87tr likes this.
  23. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Well...I can't possibly top any of your previous reviews on this album...they have been incredible. Olivia's career has been so diverse...I give her credit for always keeping things fresh and willing to venture out in new directions. I wish Karen Carpenter could have had that same opportunity. When one looks at the cover of Totally Hot and then back to the covers of her early albums like HYNBM, Clearly Love and DSB...you realize just how she was willing to take risks and we have not even got to Physical her biggest risk taker of all.

I can still remember hearing this album for the first time...I'm one of the few that actually enjoyed the opening track...it was unlike any song before...for me it just wouldn't be the same song without those nuances. I love how the song builds until she can't hold back anymore...so much yearning, she's firm, strong and confident...for me it's just a sexy song...it sets you in the mood for what's to come. I absolutely adore the song Dancin' 'Round And 'Round...I love the lyric..."come on music wash my tears away".

I remember the song "A Little More Love" being played on the radio a lot back then and every now and then I will still hear it on adult contemporary radio. I have always placed this song right along side "Magic" they were both huge hit's and the lyrics, production and vocal work from Olivia are just stellar...how can it get any better than this? John Farrar hit it out of the park on these.

What I like about this album is not only do we have the pop/rock tracks but sprinkled in between are some lovely ballads that Olivia always excels at recording. The order of tracks on Totally Hot must be commended. I still remember when I heard this record for the first time the only track that did nothing for me was "Gimme Some Lovin' and to this day I still feel much the same way, it's ok just seemed rushed or the last hope. I wonder if another track was considered before this. I wish we knew of the exact dates these tracks were recorded...was Gimme Some Lovin' recorded say before A Little More Love? I'd love to know that answer....yeah how do we contact that Mr. Farrar??

I am so happy that the "Extended Version of Totally Hot" finally made it's way to digital format on the box set...I really like that added guitar instrumental of John's...at 5:20 it's "Hot"

Scopitone, Bobby Morrow and Pizza like this.
  24. Pizza

Back in the day, there was a Goldmine record dealer who knew I was a big Olivia fan and he would automatically import items like that knowing he had an automatic sale with me. He wasn't cheap but my area record stores didn't stock her imports unless I ordered them. I would always jump on a specialty item like that.

Song4U likes this.
  25. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Here is "Gimme Some Lovin" that Olivia performs from her Hollywood Nights tv show years after Totally Hot. I like the part when she dresses up in that "Toomorrow" space outfit!! at 2:45 :D This is a wild video!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.