Olivia Newton-John Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

The proper video she's in black. In a nightclub setting. This one is actually better than the official video! I agree with you about the other thing. Never a convincing vamp, Olivia. Cutesy and camp were her mainstays!

As one reviewer put it it, referring to the 'Physical' videos, 'The chocolate box may have new packaging, but the chocolates inside have the same sticky sweet centres!' Harsh, but undeniably true.

Scopitone likes this.
  2. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I love this video, it incorporates a look-a-like Olivia in Grease, Xanadu and Physical.

Scopitone likes this.
  3. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Even in that "Landslide" video, where she captures and imprisons a dude, she does it with a wink.

4. Scopitone

Well done! Reminds me of the 90's tune "David Duchovny". Only not, you know, stalkery.

Song4U likes this.
  5. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

6. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

7. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Yes, Olivia posted this video on her facebook page when it came out saying she was touched and loved it!!

I had to go to iTunes to download it...after all...she is the only one who understands...hey maybe I COULD be her man!! :)

Scopitone likes this.
  8. Scopitone

Did we post this one during the Totally Hot chat?

Lines on her face a bit pronounced here, but otherwise she looks wonderful. I like how she has a more serious expression as she sings the vampy lyrics, alternating with her smiles. There's more here under the surface, and it's compelling.

yesstiles likes this.
  9. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

I still have the original vinyl and the fold out poster that came with it, although it's in bad condition. Do you want my 1981 (lol) review or a recent assessment? I was 13 or 14 years old, back then and I thought the albums tracks were either hit or miss. I absolutely loved the Barry Gibb penned "Carried Away" probably my favorite track, it should have been a single. Did you know it was actually from the Streisand Guilty sessions but Barbra didn't want it so it went to Olivia. I liked Recovery and it's catchy refrain, love her voice on it. The Promise has always been a favorite especially since she wrote it herself, but outside the massive Physical and cheesy Make A Move On Me, I never liked the rest that much. After years I finally started loving Landslide, I hated that violin sound back in the day, the video did not help either LOL. I used to hate Silvery Rain, but it's grown into a great song for me, the verses against the powerful chorus. Love Make Me Strong is not bad. Never cared for Strangers Touch, Falling is one of my least fav Olivia tracks.

Did the video to Physical always have the two guy holding hand in the end or was there different version? Physical sometimes falls into My Heart Will Go On territory, too big you get tired and never want to hear it again LOL.

I remember watching that video special, the one hing I remember is her rolling around in a carpet/blanket for one of the song LOL I think it was for Carried Away.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    Bobby Morrow likes this.
  10. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

11. Scopitone

Wish I could like this one twice.

12. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

Wish my copy was in good condition like that. I loved getting that "signed" poster when I opened the vinyl. It used to hang on my wall.

13. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

The very rare alternative 1986 cover

[​IMG]

tee hee

14. Scopitone

Interesting. I guess it's a typical model "sexy" look, common in magazines and billboards. But still awfully similar.

15. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

It's not a coincidence. The incredible Herb Ritts is the photographer for both shoots. I'm a huge fan of his photos.

Scopitone likes this.
  16. Scopitone

Also, "True Blue" is a great record in its own right.

17. Bobby Morrow

One thing about the Herb Ritts' photos for the 'Physical' sessions, I think this was the first album cover of Olivia's for years that wasn't touched-up! You can clearly see the lines around her eyes and mouth on the front cover for example. In keeping with the new 'adult' Olivia, it was nice to see her look less foggy!

Having said that, did anyone have the poster of the album cover that was for sale then? I remember noticing that Olivia was clearly 'cold' on this, but on the album cover, this wasn't as evident! Cold feet by Olivia or the record company?

18. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

One of my fav albums along with Like A Prayer...but back to Olivia. I loved her in the water, there was something very sexy but sophisticated about them.

19. Bobby Morrow

Along with 'Bedtime Stories', it's my favourite album by her.

20. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

What do you mean by she was "cold" on this? Wish I had that poster.

21. Scopitone

Ooh, I like this one very much.

[​IMG]

22. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

Sorry I hated that album my least favorite of hers, I hated that period.

23. Scopitone

Except perhaps for parts of Erotica, I like just about everything she put out from True Blue all the way through Music. :D I was pretty much done with her after that.

24. Bobby Morrow

A certain part of her stood out! It must have been chilly in the water.

25. Scopitone

BTW, before we get back on track, I want to say thanks for mentioning Herb Ritts. Been looking at his photos of all kinds of people, not just his fantastic work on Liv. That guy is all right. ;)

Troystar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.