Olivia Newton-John Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

If they've screwed up Carried Away then we have big trouble - it's the best track on the album!

2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, I think it’s a different mix. However many people can’t really tell the difference. Or don’t care that much if they can.

I’m probably just too close to the album.:)

John Adam, Northernlight and RSteven like this.
  3. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

Okay, well we all getting older and forget things what we saw back then, or like you i also record everything on video but sometimes we don't have the time to put on the record button, but glad we have Youtube, so much video's to disover about Olivia like this one.

Northernlight, Bobby Morrow and KJTC like this.
  4. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Does anyone know exactly what videos were shown on the Let’s Get Physical TV show? I know all the videos were not shown due to it being a 1 hr show.

Am I missing a song or 2? Some of this order is right based on her speaking and the next song cueing in or out.
    I’m trying to determine the exact order and songs.

Rolling
    (Speaking on Beach)
    Landslide
    Magic
    Physical
    Carried Away
    (Speaking housework)
    A Little More Love
    (Speaking w/Judge Stable)
    Recovery
    (Speaking at Pool)
    The Dolphin Song
    Stranger’s Touch
    Silvery Rain
    (Closing speaking at tennis court)

5. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I found on the Only Olivia club website they indicate that 2 videos were not played on the tv special. Love Make Me Strong and Falling. If that’s the case this might be the tv special order:

These song run approx 44:30 then adding in the speaking parts about 5 mins brings it to 49:30 that leaves 10-11 mins of commercials.

I wonder if this could be right?

Rolling
    (Speaking on Beach)
    Landslide
    Magic
    Physical
    Carried Away
    (Speaking housework)
    A Little More Love
    Recovery
    Make A Move On Me
    (Speaking at Pool)
    The Dolphin Song
    Stranger’s Touch
    Silvery Rain
    Hopelessly Devoted To You

Rosewater likes this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

I honestly can’t remember, but this seems accurate.

7. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Wiki is saying the Love Make Me Strong and Hopelessly Devoted were not on the tv special but don’t mention Falling. Wiki sometimes can be wrong.

It bothers me that I don’t know for certain. So we’re there 3 videos omitted?

Rosewater likes this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

It’s so long ago, I can’t really remember! Pretty sure HDTY was on the TV special though.

Rosewater likes this.
  9. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I’m listening to my VHS rip of the audio and Silvery Rain is really cool to hear as an mp3 with all the back ground sounds and there is an edit in the middle that extends the middle a bit longer before she ends it. Quite different sounding than the album version.

Rosewater and Bobby Morrow like this.
  10. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

So it looks like the Only Olivia site is wrong Falling did appear on the tv special according to the Australian tv version on you tube. Falling comes before Magic. I don’t think Hopelessly appeared.

Rosewater likes this.
  11. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I believe this list might be correct as I’m going by the Australian tv special uploaded on u tube.

I added in Falling and removed Hopelessly. This list comes in at approximately 45 min, 5 mins of her intros leaves 10 mins of commercials.
    I don’t remember how long commercials took up in the 80’s on hour long tv shows.

Rolling
    (Speaking on Beach)
    Landslide
    Stranger’s Touch
    Physical
    Carried Away
    (Speaking housework)
    A Little More Love
    Recovery
    Falling
    Magic
    (Speaking at Pool)
    The Dolphin Song
    Silvery Rain

Rosewater likes this.
  12. Chris_Sydney

Chris_Sydney Forum Resident

My memory is that ‘Stranger’s Touch’ wasn’t on the Aussie broadcast. I believe ‘Hopelessly Devoted To You’ was, as was ‘Falling’. I think the only other excised song was ‘Love Make Me Strong’.

x

13. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Unfortunately, the channel 7 Australian tv broadcast that someone uploaded to u tube doesn't show Strangers but it also cuts off Physical (goes from Landslide) briefly shows 5 secs of Physical and then cues to Carried Away so some wasn't recorded. So I can't confirm if Stranger's was shown. That user ID Roy G. has parts 1-3 and they all total 36 mins so some of it is missing.

14. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Olivia was always so good at lip syncing her songs on a live stage. It's not always easy but she made it look easy and watching her lips she is really good at it.

Northernlight, Rosewater and RSteven like this.
  15. Northernlight

Northernlight Forum Resident

I'm too close to the song... drool...

16. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

In the UK broadcast, Love Make Me Strong and Falling were omitted, and Hopelessly Devoted appeared. (For years, I couldn't figure out what the still of Olivia in the Falling video - the one that appears in the closing credits - was of! It was a great surprise when I finally got a copy of the video album itself. I was sad at the lack of talking inserts, but glad to have two 'extra' videos that I didn't even know existed.)

It's possible that other territories edited something else out for time's sake. Or, they may have edited something out when repeating the special. I wouldn't be sure that that Australian TV broadast on YouTube was the original transmission.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  17. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I found a website that says in 1981 commercial took up 18% of a 1 hr broadcast. That turns out to be 12 mins of commercials.

It’s possible different videos were omitted and replaced based on regions. The consensus shows Love Make Me Strong did not appear. Not sure about Falling or Hopelessly for the USA broadcast.

18. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I don’t see how Vinny can say Carried Away is the original. If you listen to the video of Carried Away the audio is clearly different than the Physical Cd Disc 1 on the 40th anniversary. That’s evidence right there.

19. Bobby Morrow

I’ve given up with Vinny.:D

20. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I wrote previously that before purchasing this deluxe edition I've never owned this album, so I don't know whether Carried Away is the original. However, in response to what you wrote:

1. I'd never assume that the audio portion of a video matches either the original album audio or the single audio, if the single differs from the album. Some videos have dedicated mixes, even if it's just some added overdubs or edits.

2. Sometimes albums get issued with more than one mix of a track or tracks so the version on the deluxe edition might not match what you previously had on this album but maybe it does match a different issue of this album. Then again, given the squealing noises on the dvd maybe Vinny just doesn't care and chooses to ignore people who are attempting to call his attention to faults in this release.

Northernlight and Song4U like this.
  21. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Yes I agree with you. In normal cases I'd never compare an audio from a CD to a video.

I was only using the video comparison for Carried Away because I already stated earlier that the version of Carried Away on this remaster is different from the original MCA CD and LP. Vinny stated he got the original master of Physical but to me it's not identical to the original MCA CD/LP. So as additional proof...I just wanted to state that the VHS video version of Carried Away (which to me sounds exactly like the original MCA CD/LP) is not the same Carried Away he put on this deluxe edition set.

To my ears, the alternate mix of Carried Away that he put on the bonus disc (2) sounds closer to the original but only the first 55 seconds into the song, the rest sounds different and to my ears her vocals sound a bit harsher on this alternate mix. Neither one is my favorite, I guess I'm just so use to hearing the original, I don't hate the new mixes, I'm happy to have them just that to me they don't sound like the original masters that I'm use to hearing.

22. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I don't know if anyone cares about hearing this but lol

I've been listening to my VHS audio rip the past few days and have been enjoying it but I didn't feel the quality was as good as the DVD.

So I went back to the audio rip I made of the new Physical DVD video album and made some adjustments in audacity. I ended up amplifying the entire rip 2.0 since the audio was so low. I then had to increase the volume on Rolling since it was just way too low, it didn't match the rest of the videos. So I got that volume to blend really well into Landslide so it flows a lot better sound wise. However I still felt the whole video program sounded muddy or too much bass that it buried Olivia's vocals and it had no clarity. So I adjusted the treble in audacity to about 3 which really helped to give her vocals some clarity without any harshness. I am really happy with how it all turned out.

It's not like I'm going to listen to this all the time but I'm weird when it comes to Olivia in that I want all that she has put out. Creating an audio program of the Physical video album so I can listen to it on the go or in my car just puts a smile on my face. I actually like hearing all the sounds created in the video as an audio file. Meaning the cool lightening strikes, the longer instrumental edit in the middle and different sounds in Silvery Rain (kinda puts you right into the feel of the song) and wind blowing in the opening and closing of Recovery, the night club noise in A Little More Love , Love Make Me Strong and Make a Move on Me, the added beats at the beginning of Landslide and Stranger's Touch with the night club noise all remind me of how much I love this video.

Eric_Generic and Bobby Morrow like this.
  23. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

24. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

I picked up theBack to Basics Essential Collection in a charity shop the other day. First time I’ve heard some of the earlier songs since 1982 when i bought Greatest hits as a Christmas present for my mother. Hearing them 40 years on I’m struck by how much it’s her voice that draws you in. Things like Banks of theOhio, Honestly Love You, Sam etc wouldn’t be nearly as effective in the hands of another singer. Perfect marriage of song and performer I’d say

25. SCan

SCan Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the origin of the following songs on the deluxe version of "Physical":

* Carried Away (Alternate Mix)
    * Twist Of Fate (Alternate Mix)
    * Livin’ In Desperate Times (Humberto’s Alternate Mix)

All are designated as "previously unreleased," but it is unclear when (or why) these were originally created. Were these sitting in the vaults since the 1980s and/or something recently created and added to the package? The liner notes do not provide any other information. I expected the alternate "Twist Of Fate" to be the video version where she sings the second chorus after the bridge the same way as throughout the rest of the song.

GoodKitty likes this.