Olivia Newton-John Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

It was an odd interview. Didn’t really sound like her. They must have caught her with her guard down.:)

One thing it did make me realise was that Olivia had a rough time in the early 90s… The collapse of Koala Blue, the death of Collette Chuda, Olivia’s own continuing struggle to have a baby. If cancer can be caused by stress, there’s no wonder she got ill really.

Rosewater, Mezepokaj and KJTC like this.
  2. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Also her divorce from Matt L. I’m sure she never wanted that to ever happen since she came from divorced parents. So many negatives in her life around that time. She always has a positive spirit a thriver she calls herself. I continue to admire.

3. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

Given Olivia’s complete lack of promotional capacity by the time single No.2 from Soul Kiss came round, I think anything that wasn’t following a huge hit was going to struggle.

I think Toughen Up *could* have done better than Soul Kiss as lead single, though - it’s catchier and arguably more radio-friendly - but it still would have needed far more promotion than she seemed able to give at the time. It might have caught the Britten/Lyle-penned 'What's Love Got To Do With It' wave, or it may have suffered by comparison.

The reason I think it would have been a far better choice as lead single is that it would have been much more in-keeping with the female singer zeitgeist at the time. Madonna, Cyndi, Tina were releasing punchy, assertive, take-charge pop... and then Olivia's new release was all about getting down on her knees and 'begging' her baby. Clearly a male-written song about a man's w*nk-fantasy. It just didn't fit with the flow of what was happening.

I'm sort of sorry MCA didn't stick with the original plan. Although a clunky title, Queen Of The Publication would at least have sounded like a FUN album, and Toughen Up would have had a 'girl-power' feel to it (albeit another male-written song...)

All that said, whatever the album was called, and whatever the lead single was... it needed to come out in late '84, not a year later.

Rosewater and Bobby Morrow like this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

I can see why they led with Soul Kiss. It does sound different to every other track and was a new sound for Olivia. Lyrically it’s more subtle (!) than Physical but is still on the saucy side. Unfortunately, Soul Kiss just isn’t that strong a song (IMO). If you look at the US top 30 around this time, SK isn’t one of the best singles in it.

I still say they should have gone with Culture Shock as lead single. The lyrics would have brought publicity and questions for Olivia. Should she have been around to answer them. It’s catchy in a slightly irritating way too. It might have worked. Of course it could have gone with the other way, with the public being bored/offended with the overtly sexual stuff.

And also, as I’ve said before, Olivia had great difficulty admitting to having one lover, never mind two. So this was another problem.:D

Rosewater and John Adam like this.
  5. VietAnh1111

VietAnh1111 is happily married to Stevie Nicks

I remember a story back in early 1970s that she broke off her engagement with the guitarist Bruce Welch and then Bruce attempted suicide after that, right?

6. Jerms

Jerms Forum Resident

I don't know about him attempting suicide, but he did co-write "Please Mr. Please" with John Rostill which was supposedly written about his break-up with Olivia.

Rosewater likes this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

Recorded his own version of it a year before Olivia too.

Rosewater likes this.
  8. Mezepokaj

Mezepokaj Forum Resident

I would've chosen Toughen Up as lead single as well. It couldn't have performed worse than the title track – which I love, but could only see doing well (maybe) after a smash hit.

leicbri likes this.
  9. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

What ever happen to Matt her ex husband? I swore I remember reading an article a long long time ago that he chose to live in a tent or something away from everything man made and live off the land or something like that. Was that true? I wonder what he does for a living? He was an actor but what happen to him after their divorce?

NoYesMaybe likes this.
  10. Chris_Sydney

Chris_Sydney Forum Resident

He lives in Oregon with his new partner. Chloe and her fiance have moved to Oregon too.

x

NoYesMaybe likes this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

Tactfully put.:)

He pops up on Chloe’s Instagram occasionally. It’s all a bit Beverly Hillbillies, isn’t it?

rockerreds likes this.
  12. Bobby Morrow

He took an overdose, yes. A big story in the U.K. press at the time.

From what I’ve picked up over the years, Olivia began a series of shows in 1972 with Sacha Distel. The two of them had an affair. Olivia confessed to Bruce and ended their relationship, hoping that Distel would break up with his wife. However, Sacha wouldn’t leave his wife so Olivia broke up with him!

It’s all a bit grubby, isn’t it?

:D

NoYesMaybe, VietAnh1111 and Rosewater like this.
  13. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

It seems unnecessarily cruel for her to have recorded this then.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  14. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I’ve never seen any of her social media so I’ll have to check that out as I want to see what he looks like now. Beverly Hillbillies? Lol I don’t get it.

15. Bobby Morrow

You might do when you see the posts.:)

Matt looks OK for his age. He always wears some sort of hat, so I’m guessing he’s sensitive about his hair loss. I think he’s around 63 now.

16. Mezepokaj

Mezepokaj Forum Resident

I didn't know this episode was so salacious. Olivia must feel a little embarrassed when she looks back on this. :hide:

17. Bobby Morrow

I don’t recall her discussing it in detail in her biog.:D

18. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

I always loved this picture from Olivia, i think the interview she did for a Dutch newspaper in 1992 when she annoucned to the world she had breastcaner, had also a similair picture like this, on the back cover from the 7-inch single "I Need Love" had also a similair picture like this.

Mezepokaj and Bobby Morrow like this.
  19. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

I didn't know that Bruce Welch also recorded it in 1974, and to be honest i really like his version too

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  20. Mezepokaj

Mezepokaj Forum Resident

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  21. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

Wow, never knew this story, and if this is true Olivia doesn't sound like a person who would begin a affair with a married person because of her parents that was divorsed.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

Welch mentioned Olivia broke off their relationship because she was seeing someone else in his biog in the 80s. However, he didn’t name Distel at that point.

Rosewater likes this.
  23. Mezepokaj

Mezepokaj Forum Resident

She looked really great during this period.

[​IMG]

Rosewater likes this.
  24. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

Okay, well i can say and undertand Bruch Welch point, that love can really hurts your feelings and hart when you found out it's suddenly all over, i gues everybody has been their.

VietAnh1111 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  25. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

Yes she really does look good in that year, i also love all the pictures from the backcover from the album "Back To Basics" she as a very beautiful woman for het age of 44 year. :)

[​IMG]