Olivia Newton-John Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, the chorus is the pits. Diane Warren should be ashamed.

2. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

That song will go nowhere. At least they’re trying and still releasing stuff. I would have pulled an old classic duet she did, take your pick, rereleased it and made a new video of some type to go with it.

VietAnh1111 and Eric_Generic like this.
  3. Pizza

I love remixes and medleys. This sadly has little energy and is too long. It was a chore to get through. They made the right decision pulling the plug on it.

Steps always did a great job with remixes. Maybe a mashup would have been more fun.

4. Bobby Morrow

That’s the thing about the duets album. Although Olivia is known for recording some of the most popular duets of her generation, none of them are on it!

VietAnh1111, leicbri and Eric_Generic like this.
  5. Pizza

I haven’t looked at the track listing. Probably best I don’t. I’m guessing they’re saving the best for last or do not want to compete with the two GH CDs.

6. edcw

edcw Forum Resident

I think for the most part, they’re trying to make this collection feel like something new by sticking to her lesser known duets (with the exception of “Suddenly”). She recorded a lot of under the radar duets since 2000, so there’s a lot to choose from. For the casual listener, this collection will seem somewhat fresh. For a die-hard fan, we’ve heard everything already except for the from the vault tracks.

7. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

I wish they had included her other ‘new’ (2020/21?) recording with Paul Anka on ‘Do I Love You’ on this, and released it as the second single. The snippet heard on Instagram sounded gorgeous. And it would have been new to fans as well as to casual listeners.

VietAnh1111 likes this.
  8. edcw

edcw Forum Resident

I would assume that they’re saving that for volume two. “Put Your Head…” made volume one. Unless there are songs that we don’t know about yet, it seems that “Do I Love You” & “Jolene” may have been her final recordings. Something could have also been done with Chloe (which was alluded to a few times).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    VietAnh1111 likes this.
  9. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

i have reservations about there even being a Volume 2… mins you, maybe they will put the hits on that, which will give it a boost!

10. SCan

SCan Well-Known Member

Does the world really need another compilation album with "You're The One That I Want," "Summer Nights," "Xanadu," etc. on it? I would rather have these duet compilations feature some of her lesser known, harder to find and especially unreleased duets than the hits. Just think of all the Cliff Richard duets that could have been included on this volume instead of "Suddenly" like "Don't Move Away," "Let It Be Me," "Everybody's Someone" or anything from "Heathcliff" to name just some of the other recordings they did together. (Heck, they could fill a compilation of just songs Olivia and Cliff recorded and performed together!) At this point, these duet compilations are intended for the diehard fans. Based on how quickly the two "Greatest Hits" collections faded from the charts, I can't imagine a more casual fan wanting to dive that much deeper into her catalog than the hits included on those albums.

ZedLife64 and TimM like this.
  11. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

That’s what’s odd, though - is this duets collection really enough to attract either die-hard fans (we’ve heard most of these tracks before) or the general public (who’ll be looking for hits and big names)?

I guess the strategy in splitting the collection into volumes is to maximise sales - but I wonder if it will? Volume 1 may well chart on the back of the publicity surrounding the fact this is Olivia’s posthumous album with her last recording (Jolene) on it. It has been mentioned in the context of the Dolly duet release, the State Memorial, and tributes from big-name stars. But what will ‘push’ volume 2?

I wish they had gone all-in with a major duets double-album. One disc could have been actual duet hits, plus retrospective duets that weren’t hits (or even singles) but which were from Olivia’s peak commercial era, with a-list names (like Gene Kelly and Elton John). The second could have been rarities and new recordings.

I don’t think a hits-laden double-album posthumous release of ONJ + a galaxy of stars would have been too big an ‘ask’ of the public. And yes, for some of us it would have been a case of “YTOTIW and Xanadu AGAIN? Really??” - but it would have created a nice ‘complete’ package with mainstream hit potential.

Then they could get on with the back-catalogue releases with hit potential - like Totally Hot!

I just wonder when Volume 2 is scheduled. Is it next? If so, I worry that momentum is going to slow considerably…

12. edcw

edcw Forum Resident

I’m thinking/hoping that PW might slip in a re-issue between Volumes One & Two, perhaps scheduling the re-issue for the summer & Volume Two for the fall/holiday time. I also wonder if at some point they’ll issue a holiday compilation, considering how heavy the Christmas music output was in the latter part of her career.

leicbri likes this.
  13. Chris_Sydney

Chris_Sydney Forum Resident

I really like 'True To Yourself' for what it is. 20 years ago the sound of the track would have felt very contemporary, and anything is better than 'I'll Come Running' which as @Bobby Morrow has pointed out is one of the worst choruses in Olivia's whole catalogue. She and Tina deserved so much better.

x

14. Pizza

Lol! I guess I’ll come running in defense of I’ll Come Running despite everyone kicking it. I’m not a fan of the 2 album but I actually find this song catchy. I’ll I’ll I’ll I’ll I’ll come running…:wiggle:

15. Bobby Morrow

The only 2 tracks I want on Volume 1 are Jolene and Window In The Wall. You can keep the rest of it. That’s why I’m not buying the CD. I know I’ll never play it, so what’s the point? I’m happy to stream the aforementioned 2 songs.

leicbri likes this.
  16. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

Just a pop in to note tomorrow is the 25th anniversary of the last time our Livvy had a top ten album on the Billboard 200 although chart rules at the time disqualifed it. Thanks to the 20th anniversary release of Grease in theatres, the soundtracl album shot up to #10 for the week of 3/28/98. Since older titles were banned at the time, it topped the catalog chart instead and allowed Natalie Imbruglia to debut and land her only top ten album with her set, Left Of The Middle, in its place.

mosogotamravip, leicbri and edcw like this.
  17. Chris_Sydney

Chris_Sydney Forum Resident

An exciting new upload - I can't wait to see this in high quality!

x

18. Bobby Morrow

I wonder if they’ll show Jimmy Savile introducing her.:D

VietAnh1111 and leicbri like this.
  19. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

I love how Olivia conveniently “forgot” who hosted the show where she sang all the possible songs for Eurovision entry. On the U.K. tour in 2013, she said it was on “Cliff Richard’s TV show”.

Of course, knowing Olivia, that could just as easily have been a genuine misremembering rather than a strictly tactful one!

20. Bobby Morrow

I think she later assumed that every U.K. show she did in the 70s was with Cliff.:D

21. NoYesMaybe

NoYesMaybe Forum Resident

Björk's dress in her new video is obviously inspired by that Someday video! :biglaugh:

KJTC likes this.
  22. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

For those into hi resolution music, Apple
    Music has Grease in hi res.

leicbri, Pizza and edcw like this.
  23. Pizza

That’s cool!
    It may sound odd, but my current go to for Grease is playing the musical numbers from the 4K. Hearing the original surround mix is heaven to me.

bru87tr likes this.
  24. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Jeez, Olivia vinyl INFY down to $6.15, at that price I had to buy it.

Limited-time deal: If Not For You[LP] Amazon.com

25. Pizza

Honestly, it was a poor choice to release it in the first place. Her most forgotten album. It went straight into the cutout bin when it was released. Almost anything else in her early MCA career would have been miles better. I could understand it if they were going to release all her early MCA albums but I don't suspect that's the game plan, so I fear it stoled a spot away from Have You Never Been Mellow. I'm hopeful that Totally Hot still has a chance. I don't see the duet releases doing great either. It makes me sad seeing what they're doing. I'm a super fan and I'm barely buying some of the stuff.

VietAnh1111, Mezepokaj and TimM like this.