Olivia Newton-John Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 10, 2019.

1. KEAD

KEAD Forum Resident

Agree!

leicbri likes this.
  2. KEAD

KEAD Forum Resident

My entire family loved ON-J. We would all listen to the Top 40 and cheer her on. Yes, I miss my grandmama and grandpapa terribly

leicbri and edcw like this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Interesting Eurovision piece from 1974.

[​IMG]

Chris_Sydney, leicbri and KEAD like this.
  4. Mezepokaj

Mezepokaj Forum Resident

The full Only Olivia special now reached over 500k views on Youtube. This is actually a very good result, especially if we consider it was uploaded 3 months ago (and taken down for a few days), and features only Olivia's country-era hits. :agree:

edcw and leicbri like this.
  5. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

Did the Marie Toland covers record ever emerge, I wonder?

6. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

It is - but I wish they'd stop putting up the individual songs as well - or at least, intersperse them with something, ANYTHING, else!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

No idea.

8. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

It appears something did, anyway!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  9. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

10. Bobby Morrow

It’s amazing the things you learn after 50 years!

I didn’t even know how many votes Olivia’s Eurovision songs received back then. 27,000 for Long Live Love doesn’t sound a lot, until you consider that everyone had to send in their votes by post in 1974!

leicbri likes this.
  11. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

Fascinating, isn't it? For all the derision LLL has had heaped on it over the years (including from Olivia) it was a CLEAR winner out of the set. I'm surprised that Have Love Will Travel didn't do better - although it's the kind of song that probably gets catchier after second or third listen...

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  12. Bobby Morrow

I remember someone saying that Long Live Love was the last song to be performed on Clunk Click and therefore the one the public remembered best.:) Apparently the votes weren’t sent in until all the songs had been shown. Not sure if that’s true.

I’m not surprised Someday got the fewest votes. It’s a nice song, but hardly Eurovision material.

leicbri likes this.
  13. KEAD

KEAD Forum Resident

I believe we just passed the 49th anniversary of the single release of "Have You Never Been Mellow" by the way

leicbri likes this.
  14. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

Deluxe Edition album release this time next year, then? ;)

KEAD and Bobby Morrow like this.
  15. KEAD

KEAD Forum Resident

Let's hope so...
    Maybe "A Window to the Sky (aka Richard's Window)" and "Fly Away" as bonuses? What am I forgetting that came out around that time that was not on one of her albums?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
  16. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

Has anyone noticed that someone has altered several of Olivia's Wikipedia album entries with completely spurious information about single placings?

According to this fantasist, What Is Life reached #1 in Germany (I've corrected this one), and Something Better To Do was her "sixth Number One single in the Netherlands".

They also claim that Soul Kiss reached "Number One in Norway" and The Rumour was "a Number One single in Finland."

An even more unlikely imagining: apparently, both Livin' In Desperate Times and Take A Chance were "chart toppers in Luxembourg".

:crazy: :biglaugh:

You can tell these are edits by the same person due to the capitalisation of Number One throughout.

Honestly, some people have far too much time on their hands.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
    Bobby Morrow likes this.
  17. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

It gets better! Did you know? A Little More Love was #1 in Israel, and Deeper Than The Night was #1 in Ireland! And good old Tied Up made it to the top in Cyprus!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
    Bobby Morrow likes this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

Her achievements are outstanding.:D

leicbri likes this.
  19. Jerms

Jerms Forum Resident

"Fly Away" was on the charts the same time as "Let It Shine" so I would include that as a bonus track on a Clearly Love deluxe edition but she did cover two John Denver songs on Have You Never Been Mellow so it would also be a good fit as a bonus track on that as well. In fact, I would probably do that seeing that we probably have a better chance of getting that than Clearly Love.

I'm hoping (but not holding my breath) that we'll get a physical release of the Soul Kiss remaster with "Electric" and the remixes of "Soul Kiss" and "Toughen Up" included as bonus tracks. I'll be highly disappointed if we don't get a remaster of If You Love Me Let Me Know this year since this year is the album's 50th anniversary and includes one of Olivia's signature songs. But who will release it? Primary Wave or MCA??

I wish that Vinyl Me Please could get the license to reissue Olivia's catalog. I subscribed to their Dolly Parton program last year and they did an awesome job with every album. Most of the albums in the series had never been issued on vinyl before and look and sound great! Just makes me wish that they could give Olivia's albums the same treatment.

20. edcw

edcw Forum Resident

I’m wondering what PW is going to do with the catalog in 2024. They’re certainly keeping her social media active, albeit with rather subpar content and poor quality video, so it appears they plan to keep working the catalog. But I’m not certain if it’s going to result in a lot of physical product. Perhaps it may materialize in more digital content on streaming services or video on YouTube. I feel like the truncated volume two of the duets collection does not bode well for physical product.

KJTC and KEAD like this.
  21. Bobby Morrow

I was just wondering what the next release will be. And when.

KJTC, Rosewater, KEAD and 1 other person like this.
  22. KEAD

KEAD Forum Resident

I don't know why Primary Wave do not publish a box set and get it over with. That always seemed to me the logical step to take, but maybe I'm just out of touch? I know it's probably a pipe dream to have everything instead of having to wait for it piecemeal.

Didn't someone have a contact over at PW that we could quiz?

jeremylr, ZedLife64, KJTC and 2 others like this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

From what I remember, Primary Wave didn’t answer anyone’s queries.

Occasionally Vinny Vero would reply to a comment, but he’s long gone now.

KJTC and Rosewater like this.
  24. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

I agree, because boxsets are really becoming a trend these couple years, so many older artist like Queen, Billy Joel and many others are releasing big boxsets bots in vinyl and cd, so why not our Olivia.

Now we have to wait what next release will come.

RSteven, KJTC and Bobby Morrow like this.
  25. KEAD

KEAD Forum Resident

If they do a box set, I wish that they would hire me to do quality control before they release it. Some of the problems with the Physical deluxe release were just unforgivable, IMO

RSteven, KJTC and Rosewater like this.