Olivia Newton-John: Essential Stuff

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PsychedelicWheelz, Mar 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

A quarter? I certainly don't know where to look, do I? lol

Johnny Reb likes this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

John Adam likes this.
  3. John Adam

This first album, she just sings, beautifully in her pleasant tone, so innocent (???) and beautiful. This album was the biggest surprise [for me] in discovering Olivia's pre-Grease career! As much as international commercial success came later in the 70's, the early stuff has become my favorite era to listen to.

Pizza, Johnny Reb and Bobby Morrow like this.
  4. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

Yard sales! :agree:

John Adam likes this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

Yard sales held by elderly people would be a good place to start.:D

John Adam and Johnny Reb like this.
  6. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

A quarter is less than I paid, but I didn't pay a lot for it. I didn't learn of this album's existence until about 1982, and then I scoured every used record store in Houston for a copy. It took quite a while to find one, but once I did, I think I only paid $2 or $3 for it. It was not in the greatest condition, but it sufficed until I got a mint copy of Crystal Lady, which had most of the tracks from If Not for You. A few years later, I stumbled across a copy of If Not for You that was in excellent condition.

Johnny Reb and John Adam like this.
  7. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Would love to find a copy of this album...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Without the horrid ring-wear on just about every copy I see locally.
    It's esp. bad on the back cover.

Darryl

John Adam likes this.
  8. John Adam

I know this ones not rare, but you are right, even the most beautiful album cover looks ugly with ring wear!
    I think this cover is beautiful. It's too bad this very sublime album didn't make a bigger splash. It's really quite beautiful both inside and out!
    That said, I've used one word three times, but in this case it's valid!

David Campbell and Johnny Reb like this.
  9. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I picked up a factory sealed one about a year ago for $5 CDN. I haven't opened it. Same mastering as US, but better pressing quality. Cross the border an it is yours. BTW it is the gatefold version, not the reissue. I also have a Japanese pressing - unfortunately it is printed darker than it should be.

The album didn't get much push from MCA. Olivia was seeking to terminate her contract at the time.

10. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

First time I grabbed ONJ Greatest Hits it was a repress (no gatefold). I would later find a first press gatefold cover.

Darryl

11. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

The only album I'm having a hard time finding a copy of around these parts is 'If Not For You', I've found lovely original pressings for all her other MCA albums nice and cheap here in Detroit.

David Campbell likes this.
  12. Bobby Morrow

I managed to get a sealed US copy from Esprit about 5 years ago. It was a good day as I also got a copy of Clearly Love with the ‘pocket’ opening on the gatefold. The UK version is identical other than the sleeve that holds the record opens normally.

As everyone knows, MAGTB was a standard LP here. The lyrics were printed on a white cardboard inner sleeve.

13. colinu

I have never seen a non-gatefold version.

14. JRad

JRad Well-Known Member

At a local record shop, I've picked up used vinyl copies of Let Me Be There, Have You Never Been Mellow, Xanadu and Greatest Hits Vol. 2- the latter, in nice ondition, I used to have, ur I foolishly tossed most of my old vinyl in the late 90s or so. Who knew vinyl would be desirable again? :p

15. DetroitDoomsayer

Thought I'd just pop this in here for fellow fans:

[​IMG]

Juliana Hatfield covers Olivia Newton-John on forthcoming album | superdeluxeedition

"A nice touch is that one dollar from the sale of every album will be donated to the Olivia Newton-John Cancer Wellness & Research Centre (ONJ Centre), a nonprofit organisation dedicated to providing patients with cancer access to leading medical treatment, breakthrough research, and the best in wellness and supportive care."

16. Bobby Morrow

I wonder if there are any plans to reissue Olivia’s albums on CD? I think some of the 1998 Australian Festival titles are still in print, but there are gaps. We’ve been lucky though, with Olivia’s catalogue. Every major album has been released and I don’t think any of Olivia’s CDs are terrible. Still, it’d be nice to see them properly reissued with good mastering and bonus material.

Yes, I know, I was saying this in 2001.:D

17. NYGiordano

NYGiordano Forum Resident

I'm not sure about the situation internationally-but,here in the US,it's highly unlikely that any of her catalog will be reissued on CD. MCA issued all of her original albums on CD back in the late 80's. Many of them didn't sell-and went out-of-print fairly quickly. Even Physical,her best-selling album,has already been out-of-print for twenty years. Many of her post-1990 albums weren't released stateside-and were only available here as imports.

Olivia was a singles artist-and today,decades after her hit-making years have ended,people generally just buy her greatest-hits packages.

18. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

I imagine the Japanese will re-release her catalogue on CD again at some point. They seem to love to do that. Maybe in 2021 for the 50th anniversary of her first album we'll get a new box set -- including those early albums.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

That would be nice. The 2010 box was excellent, but it felt incomplete without those 3 albums. Plus, Music Makes My Day (UK)/Let Me Be There (Aus) is a wonderful sounding album, going by the songs from it on 48 Original Tracks, but has never had a great quality CD release.

20. colinu

Not sure if one of the re-release labels (Wounded Bird, BBR etc.) could tackle Olivia's catalog - 2fers with bonus tracks etc. The time is now, not tomorrow - physical media sales are in decline. Maybe they could even do a vinyl reissue.

greelywinger and David Campbell like this.
  21. DetroitDoomsayer

I lobbied RealGoneMusic, who I think have been doing very nice reissues.
    Personally, I'd rather have single disc reissues instead of two-fers.

Real Gone Music has a suggestion box that I've used on many occasions. I love sending them ideas, hopefully someday maybe
    some of them will be taken up and produced.
    Send Olivia catalog requests here: Real Gone Music - Real Gone Suggestion Box

Let's let them know that fans would be happy happy happy for reissues!

22. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Ears perked up for Livy vinyl.

Darryl

23. Bobby Morrow

Did you ever hear anything back?

24. DetroitDoomsayer

No, I don't think they are in the habit of replying to their Suggestion Box submissions, as they probably receive many.
    They say they read each and every suggestion, and have actually created product from some of them.
    So I'm always hopeful and I still send them suggestions from time to time.

I'm excited though, I won an auction for the MCA CD of Don't Stop Believin' yesterday. $12.50 shipped! Only 4 titles left to finish collecting on CD.

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  25. Bobby Morrow

Which are the ones you have left to get?

Jarleboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.