On the "Let it Be" movie ...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PRW94, Nov 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Glyn Johns

phillyal1 likes this.
  2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

There was an entire thread on this subject - titled something like, "Did Lennon's heroin use lead to the break up of the Beatles?" where people were talking about how he was strung out, and his heroin use affected his songwriting, etc. It's just not supported by the end results. We know exactly what Lennon was doing from February 68, when he went to India, through the end of 1969 and for much of the time, particularly in 1969, he was constantly in front of television cameras. In most interviews, he is clear-eyed and coherent, although a lot of his ideas sound pretty dated today. Musically, his contributions were off the charts, no?

Dear Prudence
    Glass Onion
    Bungalow Bill
    Happiness is a Warm Gun
    I'm So Tired
    Julia
    Yer Blues
    Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me & My Monkey
    Revolution 1
    Cry Baby Cry
    Revolution 9
    Good Night
    Revolution (single)

Hey Bulldog
    Don't Let Me Down
    Dig a Pony
    Across the Universe
    I've Got a Feeling
    The Ballad of John & Yoko
    Come Together
    I Want You (She's so Heavy)
    Because
    Sun King
    Mean Mr. Mustard
    Polythene Pam
    Give Peace a Chance
    Cold Turkey

3. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

He wrote "Hey Bulldog" in 1968, if you consider the recording session (feb) the moment when he wrote it. Or thereabouts.

4. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I guess that's true of Across the Universe as well, even though they worked on it at Twickenham.

5. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Jack is right. And THAT is what it is - a Documentary. It is not supposed to show them as happy time boys (Night) or on vacation (Help!) or as cartoon characters (Yellow), it is showing them as real working people. Want to spend a day in the studio with The Beatles - well this is it people. Dig It or get out.

6. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Yeah. To me the only thing that is depressing is the atmosphere; the cold, gloomy, dreary, early morning vibe of a big warehouse thing.

MGSeveral likes this.
  7. Tero

Tero Forum Resident

This seems to be the lone thread on the movie. Wikipedia now claims a 2020 release for the 50th anniversary.

Let It Be has not been officially available on home video since the 1980s, although original and bootleg copies of the film still circulate, while early attempts to release the film on DVD and Blu-ray did not come to fruition.[2] In 2019, it was announced that a new version of the film incorporating previously-unseen footage, directed by Peter Jackson, would be released to coincide with the album and film's fiftieth anniversary, and will be followed by a remastered re-release of the original film.
    Let It Be (1970 film) - Wikipedia
    Unusual for Wiki, not reference is given.

8. KirkK

KirkK Senior Member

See this thread: THE BEATLES - New "LET IT BE" film project with Peter Jackson

9. Tero

Tero Forum Resident

OK thanks

10. Ed Petry

Ed Petry Forum Resident

My reason for wanting a release of the "Let It Be" movie is simple. It is, imho. the BEST music they released and the movie is part of that release. Most argue with me on that statement but let me explain.
    Everyone argues, fights, squabbles. SO? Yes, the members of the band were angry, stoned, jealous, bitter, distracted...use whatever words you want here. Maybe the idea was a bit off the mark, maybe the timing was wrong, maybe Paul was overbearing. YES to all that and everything I've read of 49+ years. YES, Okay.

But, when they started playing the music was as if the issues were not there. Just great rock'n'roll and music that, imho, stands the test of time. I pull LIB off the shelf and listen to it because it is great music made while "life" was entering their lives. They just plain rocked without equal on LIB!!! LIB is my emergency music in the car. I have copies (3 or 4 now) of the CD in family vehicles so I am able to listen to it when I forget the iPod or iPhone.

Imho, "Let It Be" is the Beatles' best album. I loved the movie in 1970 and continue that to current times.

@Paul and Ringo and Apple. Please release all of the nagra tapes and video.

11. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Went on a rock and roll tour of London today. Last stop on the tour was the Apple studios. When the rooftop version of Get Back started playing on the van’s stereo I got goosebumps. Can’t wait for this movie!

blutiga likes this.
  12. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Yep. For me I'm probably anticipating this with as much glee and excitement as I did for Anthology. Was that nearly 25 years ago now. OMG.

EddieMann likes this.
  13. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Yeah, I stopped reading here.

14. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I agree with most of this. "Let It Be" has many of my favorite Beatles moments, the songs are great, the playing is often moving in a way their earlier polished stuff was not. Best album? No. I'd put the White Album above it. Still, I'm buying the film and remixed album with no reservations. People seem to dismiss this album because it's some sort of consensus - like Revolution #9. It sure stands up for me. I'm glad someone else agrees.

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

They are about all released, you mean to say you didn't know?

16. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

There is actually a nice widescreen stereo edition of Let It Be doing the rounds now. I got it at a record fair on a Blu Ray.
    Its really good quality and stereo sound in most of the scenes. Not true HD but its not bad.
    And nothing is chopped off the edges.
    I doubt that the official release will be much better quality than this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.