Once Upon a Time in Hollywood SPOILERS! SPOILER THREAD...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I highly recommend you get the novelization paperback written by Tarantino. It rarely covers what we see in the film. It actually serves to fill the gaps between the scenes in the film. It's an an amazing read and you can actually see everything in your mind.

Brandy even gets her own back story. Not only do we follow Rick during his Lancer shoot in more details, but we actually get to learn what the whole pilot is about. I would love to see that pilot, along with episodes of Lancer and the movies Rick starred in.

https://www.amazon.com/Once-Upon-Ti...+hollywood+pa,stripbooks-intl-ship,120&sr=1-1

2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

did he kill his wife?

3. A six-episode run of Bounty Law was planned pre-COVID, but I’ve no idea if that’s still in the works.

Simon A and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

The Bounty Law project has been dropped.
    Instead he is going to do a series based on Elmore Leonard's book 'City Primeval:High Noon In Detroit'.
    Leonard's character Raylan Givens is not in that book but QT is putting him in the mix and calling it 'Justified: City Primeval'.
    Timothy Olyphant will reprise his role as Raylan Givens. Originally QT was going to direct but he's out now.
    Production was going on this summer in Chicago (Chicago plays the part of Detroit)
    link to article;
    Quentin Tarantino in Talks to Direct FX's 'Justified' Revival - Variety\
    from the article;
    Having left the hollers of Kentucky eight years ago, Raylan Givens now lives in Miami, a walking anachronism balancing his life as a U.S. Marshal and part-time father of a 14-year-old girl. His hair is grayer, his hat is dirtier, and the road in front of him is suddenly a lot shorter than the road behind.
    A chance encounter on a desolate Florida highway sends him to Detroit. There he crosses paths with Clement Mansell, aka The Oklahoma Wildman, a violent, sociopathic desperado who's already slipped through the fingers of Detroit's finest once and aims to do so again. Mansell's lawyer, formidable Motor City native Carolyn Wilder, has every intention of representing her client, even as she finds herself caught in between cop and criminal, with her own game afoot as well. These three characters set out on a collision course in classic Elmore Leonard fashion, to see who makes it out of the City Primeval alive.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    Simon A and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Now that Better Call Saul is over this will prob be the next series I watch. Olyphant as Raylan is fun as hell.

budwhite, Simon A and SunSon like this.
  6. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

7. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Finally saw the movie this past week, DVR'd from an FXM airing. I've already watched it three times.

Love the music and the scattered aircheck bits. I've long been a fan of KHJ airchecks, so it was pretty amazing to hear them in a movie of this magnitude.

RSteven, Carl80, cwitt1980 and 3 others like this.
  8. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

If you can't wait for the next QT movie may I suggest a little reading.
    The Switch by Elmore Leonard is the original book with Ordell Robbie and Luis Gara before he wrote Rum Punch.
    Rum Punch was the name of the book that QT made into a movie titled Jackie Brown.
    Or may I suggest a classic pulp fiction, The Name Of The Game Is Death by Dan J. Marlowe.
    This would have been a great QT movie, it got me hooked on old pulp fiction novels. Leo and Pitt would have been perfect for the lead roles.

9. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

So this is when Louis's a** was still beautiful?

SunSon likes this.
  10. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Do you remember Club Mozambique in Detroit? I remember seeing TV commercials for it in the'70s on channel 62.
    That's where Ordell and Luis met.
    Luis was at the bar tapping the straw from his drink on the glass, Ordell walks over puts his hand on Luis' to stop the tapping and says, "we don't go to your clubs and f**k up the beat now do we."
    They were tight ever since.

11. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

No, but I love your reference to Channel 62. Did Elmore ever write about the New Dance Show?

Silver Surfer likes this.
  12. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Get The Switch, it's loaded with Detroit and suburbs mentions and descriptions, even channel 4's Mort Crim!!!
    I missed out on The New Dance Show.

Silver Surfer and twicks like this.
  13. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

OK, I'm on it. Thanks!

SunSon likes this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

15. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I know this movie has been out for over three years now but I just finally saw it this past week. I've read the entire thread and it's been great catching up on the various opinions of this film.

After watching it three times, I actually think there was some foreshadowing going on during the movie. Mr. Schwarz telling Rick early on that he keeps getting beat up at the end of the show because he's playing the bad guy is sort of the first hint that the Manson Family is going to get clobbered. I think Tarantino was setting up for a finale that mimicked movies and television of the time. It just hadda be.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
  16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

He got his revenge on history in Inglorious Basterds and Django, so this one just had to go down that same path. A missed opportunity for him to have transcended his own (now clichéd) genre I feel.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Rick also was redeemed by getting to play the hero again and in grand fashion. I totally get your outlook though.

Purple Jim and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

19. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Any thoughts on the final scene? The gates open for Rick and he goes up as heavenly music is played. Is it meant for Rick? Sharon? The heaven allegory seems clear. Is there also a connection to Cliff being on the roof and noticing Sharon? What other purpose could his being on the roof serve?

20. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Guardian angel perhaps?

DME1061, Tim S, Dayfold and 2 others like this.
  21. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

This mysterious music when Rick goes through the gates, walks through the garden and meets Sharon [​IMG][​IMG]

hi_watt, Dinstun and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

I loved it nearly as much as the movie.

hi_watt and Simon A like this.
  23. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Ghostworld and Dudley Morris like this.
  24. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Well, he was sort of a superhero.

25. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Great example of how the movie's (relative) restraint served it better than the super-graphic stuff in the novel. Compare Pussycat and Cliff's drive in the movie with the one in the book, which is totally over the top even for QT.

SunSon and hi_watt like this.