‘Once Upon A Time In Hollywood’ Tarantino's Next

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Olompali, Mar 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

See? What do I know. Far sooner than I imagined.
    Bluesman, standard or option? I'm assuming they
    bought it new.

Bluesman Mark and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. TheDailyBuzzherd

That was my experience, too.

zebop and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. TheDailyBuzzherd

I was hatched in that general area and WABC and WNBC and WiCC were IT.
    Ron Lundy, Harry Harrison, Al Warren, Don Imus, Bruce Morrow, so many others ...

Y'know what some of me fave surprise songs to hear? "Timothy" by The Buoys
    and "Yellow River" by Christie. Years later I discovered that it was The Tremeloes
    that played the backing track. I am VERY unhip.

I completely missed The Golden Age of FM.

My Dad bought a cheap toy convertible in '70 for me Mom ( yeah right ) and it
    had a little AM radio. To cruise around the reservoir hearing AM pop with the top
    down on early weekend nights is a memory.

zebop and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. TheDailyBuzzherd

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

It was optional back then. AM would have been standard on that car.

It was 2-3 years old when they bought it.

TheDailyBuzzherd likes this.
  6. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I just overheard an interesting conversation at work between 20-something co-workers who have seen this movie. One called it “too weird,” and another guy liked it and stuck up for it, but said, “I really didn’t understand why all these people were meandering around Hollywood.”

Tarantino is 56, which is just barely old enough to remember the events of 1969 first-hand. Most people under 40 probably have a fuzzy grasp at best of who Sharon Tate, Roman Polanski, Bruce Lee, and the Manson family were. Likewise, the debate over whether people in 1969 would have been listening to Paul Revere & the Raiders or the Doors is a total non-issue to anyone under 40. The old people and pop culture obsessives on this forum can debate Tarantino’s proclivity to re-write history, but, to a younger audience, this movie is history, or, probably more accurately, simply a vaguely “retro” entertainment with a cool fight scene at the end. Paul Revere getting on the soundtrack of this album, or any of the artists who got on the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack, is a huge win for them, because these sorts of retro movies are increasingly what define the 60s and 70s for people too young to have lived through them.

7. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I wonder what most "20-something's" frame of reference of QT's movies are, anyway? Haven't they seen any of his other stuff? This was rather straightforward comparatively--doesn't jump around much in the narrative for instance.

8. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

This movie is not for them. There will be another superhero movie along soon enough (although Marvel's Avengers, Iron Man, Spiderman and Thor did in fact all originate prior to 1969)

9. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Hmmmm, I'm 57, almost 58, so I was 7 when the murders occured. I had to have some awareness of them, (the news, my parents commenting on them, etc.), even if I didn't realize it, because as I got older I "knew" about this without realizing where/how I knew. By the time the miniseries of Helter Skelter came out in 1976 I had enough interest in & knowledge of the subject to not only watch it, (at age 14), but to also buy the paperback of the book released to tie in with the miniseries & read it. In fact after I read it, both of my parents did also. So, it's possible Tarantino soaked up some info unconsciously, much as I likely did.

joemarine likes this.
  10. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

I'm pretty sure to really enjoy this movie, you would need to want to connect with the period it is set in. If someone doesn't really care, it would be one big ..... whoosh.

BeatleJWOL and Bluesman Mark like this.
  11. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Very cool. I have a friend in NY who figured out a way to monetize his car collecting habits by renting them for film and TV. He's got some nice cars, but a lot of them are just 'odd'- he's a pretty well-known automotive journalist.

I think, re Polanski, I've already told the story of seeing the offering from Simon Kidson several years ago of Polanksi's 275 GTB. (Kidson's uncle was one of the "Bentley Boys" and Simon is a well known broker of serious iron). The write up contained a story about a young guy hitching when Sharon Tate pulled up in the Ferrari and offered him a ride up to the top of the canyon, which he declined, because he was headed to Santa Barbara. He was subsequently picked up by a van full of long hairs headed his way-- the Iron Butterfly, who were playing at his school. So he hopped in.
    I related this story to a friend who is a very well heeled collector; he said "that was me!" He has some other good car stories that he has since posted on the web- including helping Miles Davis out of his wreck of a Miura and dumping Miles' drugs before the authorities arrived.
    Life is strange.

Vidiot likes this.
  12. ManFromCouv

I was 11 and it was exactly the same for me, except I had never heard anything about it until the 1976 two-parts series. After that …. I was hooked, for good or bad. Probably bad.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Since there are some car experts here, what model and make of the car Tex, Krinwinkel, Atkins, and Kasabian we’re driving? The one Rick berated so badly?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I found out that the guy who liked the movie but didn’t understand who all the characters were - “why did that woman go to the movies?”, etc. - is actually 32. I didn’t bother trying to have a “well, she was Sharon Tate, and what really happened in 1969 was X, Y, and Z,” because there was no point. He doesn’t have the framework to begin to understand what happened in 1969. The 90s are ancient history to him. The 60s might as well be Civil War times to him.

joemarine, Vidiot and Lightworker like this.
  15. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

According to the article Vidiot posted, and which I replied to above, it was a '59 Ford Galaxie. They used a replica of it, rather than the actual car. Here's one that doesn't have such a grotesque history, but if you research the car, it's discussed on various blogs.
    https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ford/galaxie/2249529.html

GodShifter and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Well I’m under 40 and absolutely loved this film. With that logic a movie set in the Civil War would be for no one. I’ve also been well aware of the real events for quite some time. My wife, whose in her twenties, was hesitant about the movie because she was scared it would portray what really happened.

Chris DeVoe and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

My wife and I screened Rio Bravo for a 46-year-old American-born white male co-worker (from Virginia no less)
    recently because he told us that he had never heard of it. When Dean Martin first appears in the saloon scene at the
    beginning, this guy says: "Hey...is that John Wayne?" I didn't even bother trying to explain why Rick Nelson's character
    and Martin sang together later on in the film. Sad.

joemarine, Vidiot and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. ManFromCouv

Not a car expert in any way but …. 1959 Ford Fairlane.
    The actual original car the killers used is still around. I think it's at an exhibit in Las Vegas or something like that.

19. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

The events of August 9th, 1969 were a mere 4 months before my 9th birthday. Not only do I remember that event, but also RFK / MLK from the previous year, quite well. Turbulent times, indeed.

BeatleJWOL, joemarine, Vidiot and 3 others like this.
  20. ManFromCouv

Well, for context … the way we regarded the Tate-LaBianca murders in the 90's is same way people of today regard the O.J. Simpson murders. Same passage of time …. which kinda blows my mind.

21. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The first moon landing was a welcome relief from the stress of that period. Not a whole lot of other positive news floating around...

22. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Perhaps that "Simpsons" episode?

23. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

That just sounds like a cognitive awareness thing on the part of the thirtysomething.

Most of us who were little at one time could understand the basics of things like the Revolutionary/Civil/Cowboys-Indians/WWI-II War, etc. as touchstones on good guys vs. bad guys and things like sports teams and tell those things apart and tell which side was supposed to be which - even if some of those events had happened hundreds of years ago. It was a way of learning history and relative time. They even had Vietnam War, and vaguely Korean War mini play figures when I was a kid - though they weren't named as such on the packaging - just the toy soliders of the day. Do they have Gulf War playsets these days?

I guess in this movie there isn't a clearcut bad vs. good until the end. There's just sane vs. crazy, and youth vs. older. Everyone is a bit 'wild' in this story, to fit the wild times. But, like in the Westerns of old, there's just certain lines you don't cross.

24. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Most people here by nature have some sense of history and a timeline of 20th century events. When I’m with younger people listening to a record like Led Zeppelin II, however, and they ask, “when did this come out?” and I reply, “late 1969, it was their second album of that year,” they look at me like I have magic powers. The guy I overheard discussing Once Upon A Time In Hollywood today is 32, and I’d bet $100 he can’t identify who was President in 1969 or place Woodstock or the moon landing in 1969. People here are debating tiny nuances of accuracy - would Cliff and Rick have switched from AM to FM by 1969? - but most people under 40 lack even the most basic context or knowledge to judge Tarantino’s deviations from history in this film. There was a line where of the characters says that Sharon Tate is living in Dennis Wilson and Terry Melcher’s old house. To me, that’s clunky exposition of a fact I don’t need to be told about, to my co-worker who doesn’t even grasp who Sharon Tate was, she might as well have been living in Rudolph Valentino and Al Jolson’s house.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  25. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I assume the other 'not-from-'68-item' was:
    The little 'parkour'-move Pitt ( or HIS stunt-double) does to get on the roof!

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.