"One Hit Wonder" follow-up attempts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SoporJoe, Jan 12, 2019.

1. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Julie London was a consistent adult contemporary artist, but as a pop chanteuse, she only scored once, with "Cry Me A River." "Lonely Girl" was her followup.

Jarleboy likes this.
  2. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

In the last week or two, John Denver's 'Take me home, Country Roads' single has gained a UK Gold Disc for 100,000+ sales. Still never troubled the singles chart though!

seed_drill and Jarleboy like this.
  3. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I discovered his show in the mid 90s in NY. I used to stay up until 5AM to listen to the odd and obscure hour from 4 to 5. I would go through my Billboard and look for low chart records that I had never heard before and call up and request them. It was funny as he would always ask if it was a favorite song of mine. No. If it was, I would have had the record and wouldn't have had to ask to hear it on the radio.

Celebrated Summer likes this.
  4. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I always preferred it to Rock Me Amadeus - great track.

Jayseph and Jarleboy like this.
  5. James Slattery

I made a CDR for myself a few years ago of one-hit wonder follow ups. Here are some I haven't seen her yet:

6. James Slattery

7. James Slattery

8. James Slattery

9. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Sonny Geraci and Climax had a Top 3 hit with Precious & Few. This should have followed it into the Top 10. I included this upload for the brief history lesson and that it just sounds better than the others.

10. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I love "Please Believe Me". I don't think it sounded that much like "Little Star" either. As you say, it just sounded like The Elegants. The flip side, "Goodnight" was also a quality song.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  11. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Fantastic album, and original copies are still quite affordable if you can find them.

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I really like "Heaven and Hell". The UA single has a lyric change in the first verse ("..discovering that her love has gone dead" replacing "...discovering someone else in your bed") and a different lead vocal. The mono single packs more punch than the LP version.

13. John54

John54 Senior Member

I like that better than Stay Awhile.

Maybe the band would have had better luck by doing a complete switcheroo and going death metal or something ...

14. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

EMF did have big hits with both Unbelievable and Lies.
    I've been listening to EMF now & from a fund-me site discovered James Adkin's still making music!

Though that project, The Party Faithful, was since closed on that site, through research found his own site & purchased CD there,
    receiving communications from both an associate and James, himself!
    Signed up on his site & there's new release arriving April '19: Hope others' here who like, or liked, will find this information helpful. (Just clicking on link, included below, will redirect you there)

Solo Album No. 3 Popcorn Storm Arriving 2019 - James Atkin

15. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

16. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

i had no idea this meredith brookes followup existed, she seemed epitome of a 'one and done' to me commercially. I kinda like it a lot actually---and feels like it could/should have gotten traction in the pop marketplace of the time. Wonder if any backroom crummy industry shenanigans were (or were not...) at work...

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Cyrkle...

rkt88 likes this.
  18. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

The U.S.'s loss. The Easybeats' later songs, beginning with Friday on My Mind, were much better than their early stuff IMO. They also earned my respect for not sticking with a comfortable formula.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  19. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

20. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

It's the only song of theirs that I could identify. What "hit" was it a follow-up to?

Incidentally, I'd say back in the 1960s it was not at all unusual for an artist's first Australian hit to actually be their second international hit. I'm not sure why this was. Perhaps DJs were a bit slow to recognise the "next big thing" until they had already had their big hit and were on to their second one.

Michael likes this.
  21. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

A very perceptive post. To some people "One Hit Wonder" simply means "I've forgotten about all their other hits."

goodiesguy, ARK and rkt88 like this.
  22. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Geno was a #1 hit in the UK. Come On Eileen (also a #1 hit) was much later and on a different label.

23. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Beverly just squeaks into the "2-hit wonder" category... "We're Free" hit #40.

Pigeon City likes this.
  24. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

And again, bowing to regional tastes, her third single I'll Make You Music also had some play in the Islands. I bought all three.

geo50000 likes this.
  25. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

yeah, and the hit was a song even paul simon wouldn't cut ;)