"One Hit Wonder" follow-up attempts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SoporJoe, Jan 12, 2019.

1. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Looking at a number of these from around '70
    makes me cringe. A lot of these guys had the
    chops but they were ( probably ) forced to play
    some real pop bilge ... for example, The Lemon
    Pipers. The lead looks like a dealer then you see
    him sing like that. Yowza. It's weird to see how
    some of these acts were trying to sell themselves
    as mainstream but looked nothing of the kind.

"Looking Glass" had a monster out of the gate
    and if they'd gone slightly heavier they may have
    had a chance. I can see contemporaries watching
    them thinking,

"Oh my God. WHAT are you doing to yourselves?"

Mechanical Man likes this.
  2. John54

John54 Senior Member

The Ravel's Bolero of pop ...

3. Cachiva

Cachiva Forum Resident

Here it is at #33. Is this image clear enough to read? It
    was hard to get the hole page to show on my display!

[​IMG]

4. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

"Jimmy Loves Marianne" also got a second life in 1984 when it was covered by new wave singer Josie Cotton. That version only hit #82 on the Hot 100, but it was all over college radio that year. I was surprised to learn it was a cover version since I associated the song so strongly with Josie Cotton.

dcincinci likes this.
  5. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

That's because it wasn't a single in the US.

Toni Basil's actual follow-up to "Mickey" was "Shoppin' from A to Z," which reached the lofty position of #77:

jupiter8 and Jarleboy like this.
  6. tim_neely

Chumbawamba's follow-up to "Tubthumping" in the US was called "Amnesia," but few remember it, even with the great opening riff that was inescapable at one time:

It peaked at #101.

7. tim_neely

Infamously, Jimi Hendrix was a one-hit wonder on the US Hot 100 with only one Top 40 hit, "All Along the Watchtower" (#20 in 1968). The immediate follow-up single was "Crosstown Traffic," which peaked at #52:

ARK, Hammerpeg and andy749 like this.
  8. tim_neely

Actually, his follow-up was "Monsters' Holiday," which peaked at #30 in late 1962, so he wasn't really a one-hit wonder.

9. tim_neely

Off the top of my head, the only ones that didn't release a follow-up were charity one-offs like USA For Africa. Also, the group M/A/R/R/S dissolved in acrimony before they could record a true follow-up to "Pump Up the Volume."

Hammerpeg and Jarleboy like this.
  10. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

Hendrix was a one-hit wonder in the U.S. Top 40 with "Watchtower," but not the Hot 100.

According to Joel Whitburn's "Top Pop Singles" book, Hendrix had seven Hot 100 hits, starting with "Purple Haze" (#65) and ending with "Dolly Dagger" (#74). His other entries on the singles chart besides "Watchtower" included "Foxey Lady," "Up From The Skies," "Crosstown Traffic" (which you mentioned), and "Freedom."

Suncola, gotblues and Jarleboy like this.
  11. tim_neely

Men Without Hats were not a one-hit wonder -- "Pop Goes the World" got to #20 in 1987/88.

Jamey K, negative1, ARK and 10 others like this.
  12. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

After the otherworldly and downright spooky "Sally Go 'Round the Roses," a run-of-the-mill teenage angst song was probably the last thing anyone expected from the Jaynetts.

But that's what we got, and it bubbled under the Hot 100...

13. tim_neely

Remember the Sanford-Townsend Band and their top 10 hit "Smoke from a Distant Fire" in 1977? Well, they were a "true" one-hit wonder, because they never had another Hot 100 hit at all, even below #40.

By the time they needed a follow-up to their slow-breaking hit in October 1977, they had changed their name to simply Sanford & Townsend and released "Does It Have to Be You," which failed to chart:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    dcincinci likes this.
  14. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Not sure if they had another hit single in other territories, but Sniff 'n' the Tears will go down in history for just one great song.

I don't think it was the actual follow up to Driver's seat, but within a year or two the band released a 45 that sounded suspiciously similar to their big hit:

Great band BTW. Should have been better known than just for Driver's seat/

geo50000 and Jarleboy like this.
  15. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

The Elegants were a true one-hit wonder: "Little Star" went to #1 and then they never made the chart again. One reason I've seen cited is that their other records sounded too much like "Little Star". Not true, if you ask me, although you can tell it's the same group:

16. tim_neely

I guess Right Said Fred was too sexy to have another big hit. Their attempted follow-up was "Don't Talk Just Kiss," which got to #76 in 1992:

51IS, ARK, Hammerpeg and 2 others like this.
  17. tim_neely

In 1965, the British band Unit Four Plus Two had their only big US hit, "Concrete and Clay," and it wasn't all that big with a #28 peak. Their immediate follow-up was "You've Never Been in Love Like This Before," which only got to #95:

sewerdog likes this.
  18. tim_neely

In 1973, the Canadian group Skylark had its only US hit with "Wildflower" ("Let her cry, for she's a lady/Let her dream, for she's a child," etc.). The follow-up was an edited version of "I'll Have to Go Away," which didn't chart. This album cut is more than five minutes long, and the 45 was chopped to 3:26.

CliffL and MikeM like this.
  19. Totti is god

Totti is god Forum Resident

GAZEBO. I Like Chopine. Huge one hit

20. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Followed by this one - a sizeable hit in several European countries:

21. tim_neely

Bruce Channel got all the way to #1 with "Hey! Baby" in 1962. His follow-up, "Number One Man," didn't come close to #1, peaking at #52, and three more charted singles fared even worse.

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. DeadPhishBlues

DeadPhishBlues I just got back from Kill Devil Falls

23. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Randy Newman's follow-up to 'Short People' (Billboard #2) - a 3:35 edit of 'Baltimore' - apparently did not even reach the stage of "bubbling under" the Hot 100
    Randy Newman - Baltimore (Edit)

The LP version, which ran to 4:02

casey casey, Suncola and Jarleboy like this.
  24. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

It's good to know this, of course; however, the working definition of "One-Hit Wonder" for those who study such things has traditionally been "artists who had only one song make the Billboard Top 40."

25. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I liked this song a lot, and was happy when I found the single (with a picture sleeve) many years after the fact.

The problem was that it featured Skylark's female vocalist (at the time married to soon-to-become famed producer David Foster) rather than the male vocalist who was heard on "Wildflower." So that probably confused Top 40 listeners of the day.