"One Hit Wonders" Daily Trivia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oldies trivia guy, Sep 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buzzzx

buzzzx Forum Resident

I like the Timothy song, but I never heard it back in the day. And in 1971 I listened to AM radio a lot.

2. Oldies trivia guy

Oldies trivia guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

That is surprising, it was a popular and controversial hit. Usually controversial songs of that time were about drugs or sex, not cannibalism.

3. Oldies trivia guy

ANSWER TO YESTERDAY'S QUESTION........

1/20/19

Another song recorded to be a "B" side. A European tune with a historical American title that became a bigger hit in America than Europe where it was also a huge hit by a different artist.

"Apache" / Jorgen Ingmann & His Guitar

Atco Records #2 1961

Jorgen Ingmann-Pedersen was from Copenhagen, Denmark. The head of Metronome Records, Bent Fabric ("Alley Cat"), persuaded Atlantic records to issue some stateside singles on Jorgen. Jerry Lordon's "Apache" was first cut by Bert Weedon but drew little attention. The Shadows worked up a rendition that outsold all others worldwide but failed to chart in the U.S. Jorgen's version was intended for the "B" side of his self-penned "Echo Boogie". He was in disbelief when Bent called to tell him "Apache" was a hit in America. He never toured the U.S.

What I found recently after starting this thread was that if someone correctly answers the question soon after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to participate. I don't want that to happen since this is a forum. So, let me describe how I think this can work successfully. You have five choices for initial answers...

1. If you absolutely know that you know the answer, without any doubt, simply post "GOLD STAR", and leave a comment, if you like, about the song that doesn't hint or giveaway the answer. Please come back and post your full comments and memories about the song after the answer has been posted. This is what I want to encourage the most since this is a forum.

2. If you want to confirm your initial thought and look it up, post a SILVER STAR , with the same criteria as in #1.

3. If you want to take the time to research the answer, post a TIN STAR. Same criteria as #1.

4. Post your guesses. But let us know it's a guess, meaning it may or may not be correct. Comments would be welcomed.

5. Simply post "I don't know" and leave any comments you might have.

With these choices, it gives everyone a chance to correctly answer the question early and still leave room for everyone to participate until the official answer is posted. Again, I really want to hear your comments and memories about the song/artist.

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with. In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart. Give yourself a gold star if you know it or a silver star if you need to confirm it or a Tin Star if you need to take the time to research it. Good luck and have fun !

NEW QUESTION........

1/21/19

This Louisianan's songs were produced by another One Hit Wonder that has been posted on this thread and he also wrote the last hit for an artist that had numerous hits in the late 50's and early 60's.

Please choose from the answer options above........

bluemooze likes this.
  4. Oldies trivia guy

:whistle:.....waiting....

5. Oldies trivia guy

Wow....still no responses....guess you need a good hint...the producer was Billy Swan.

6. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

Now, a tin star on No. 125

7. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I know I've seen this talked about before but it's like an elusive butterfly in the canyons of my mind. I'm gonna kick myself when the answer is revealed.

John B Good likes this.
  8. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Silver star for "125

9. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

I just got a tin star on 125.

10. Oldies trivia guy

ANSWER TO YESTERDAY'S QUESTION.......

1/21/19

This Louisianan's songs were produced by another One Hit Wonder that has been posted on this thread and he also wrote the last hit for an artist that had numerous hits in the late 50's and early 60's.

"Polk Salad Annie" / Tony Joe White
    Monument Records #8 1969

After Tony made his way to Nashville, the Louisiana native was hired by Combine Music as a songwriter. Some of his songs made their way to Monument records. His first few didn't do very well but then he hit paydirt with "Polk Salad Annie". Billy Swan ("I Can Help") was the producer on those early recordings. Other songs failed to make the Top 40, but, He did write Brook Benton's last hit, "Rainy Night In Georgia".

What I found recently after starting this thread was that if someone correctly answers the question soon after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to participate. I don't want that to happen since this is a forum. So, let me describe how I think this can work successfully. You have five choices for initial answers...

1. If you absolutely know that you know the answer, without any doubt, simply post "GOLD STAR", and leave a comment, if you like, about the song that doesn't hint or giveaway the answer. Please come back and post your full comments and memories about the song after the answer has been posted. This is what I want to encourage the most since this is a forum.

2. If you want to confirm your initial thought and look it up, post a SILVER STAR , with the same criteria as in #1.

3. If you want to take the time to research the answer, post a TIN STAR. Same criteria as #1.

4. Post your guesses. But let us know it's a guess, meaning it may or may not be correct. Comments would be welcomed.

5. Simply post "I don't know" and leave any comments you might have.

With these choices, it gives everyone a chance to correctly answer the question early and still leave room for everyone to participate until the official answer is posted. Again, I really want to hear your comments and memories about the song/artist.

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with. In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart. Give yourself a gold star if you know it or a silver star if you need to confirm it or a Tin Star if you need to take the time to research it. Good luck and have fun !

NEW QUESTION...........

1/22/19

The only Top 10 song I know of that came out of Belgium. The artist commited suicide in 1985.

Please choose from the answer options above........

bluemooze likes this.
  11. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

Ah, gold star on 126.

12. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Gold star on #126 as well.

13. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

14. crustycurmudgeon

Tin for 126. What would have been a silver it turns out didn't break the top 40 in the US.

15. John54

John54 Senior Member

Gold star on #126. I had #125 right too but didn't know it ...

16. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

For #126, the first artist and song I thought of was Belgian but not a U.S. hit so then I thought of another one, checked and I'm positive I have the answer now. So I guess it's a tin star.

17. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Silver Star, first one I've had a clue about for days.

18. crustycurmudgeon

Perhaps the same initial guess as me.

19. crustycurmudgeon

Dave Morey from KFOG on his "10 At 10" show would play this song in a Hits From Hell set.

20. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

Gold Star for me too. There is some speculation that this song wasn't really number one but they couldn't allow the real one at the top of the charts. I've been struggling with these one hit wonders from the US in general. But get me on the subject of 60s garage bands and I'm golden.

21. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

And me, I suspect. International hit, especially across Europe, but not top 40 in USA. And he's still alive!

But when I looked at his page on Wikipedia, it mentioned the one that is the correct answer. So tin star for me.

22. Oldies trivia guy

DUE TO EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES, THIS THREAD MUST TAKE A HIATUS FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. I HOPE TO RETURN SOON.

ANSWER TO YESTERDAY'S QUESTION........

1/22/19

The only Top 10 song I know of that came out of Belgium. The artist commited suicide in 1985.

"Dominique" / The Singing Nun
    Philips Records #1 1963

Sister Luc-Gabrielle (b. Janine Deckers) and four other nuns from a convent in Fichermont, Belgium recorded about a dozen songs at the Philips studios in Brussels. The songs had been favorites at youth retreats. The bosses at Philips thought a couple had commercial promise and were released in Europe and America. "Dominique" and the album shot to the top of the charts everywhere. She came to the U.S. to appear on the Ed Sullivan Show and Debbie Reynolds starred in the movie "The Singing Nun". No other tunes hit big in America. She and her partner of 10 years committed suicide in 1985.

Thanks for participating.

John B Good and bluemooze like this.
  23. crustycurmudgeon

Well, no mention on Plastic Bertrand's Wikipedia page of Dominique, so my initial guess is not the same as yours.
    edit: However, the page for Ca Plane Pour Moi does mention Dominique.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  24. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

"Dominique" by The Singing Nun kept "Louie Louie" by the Kingsmen from number one. There is the thought that the garage classic was kept off the top spot even though it sold more. She was faced many years later with a huge additional tax demand over the hit.

Thanks for the quiz.

bluemooze likes this.
  25. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

I hope that whatever the extenuating circumstances are can be solved soon. Until then, thanks for this thread.

---

Re The Singing Nun:

Later in her singing career, it was said that she recorded an ode to birth control entitled "Glory Be to God for the Golden Pill." This tidbit is in most of her biographies.

I couldn't find any evidence for a long, long time that such a song existed. But it really does. It's called "La pilule d'or" (or "The Golden Pill"), and it was released under the name Luc Dominique, which Ms. Deckers started using in 1967, after she left the Dominican order of nuns. The 45 was released in France as Philips 434.341 and in French-speaking parts of Canada as Philips 373.983.

A rough Google Translate of the chorus:

The golden pill has passed by,
    Biology has taken a new step.
    Lord, I give thanks to you.

Here it the song:

The lyrics:

Quand nos grands-mères se mettaient en ménage
    On leur disait "Ma fille, sois bien sage.
    Sois soumise à ton mari, mets au monde une grande famille
    Les enfants que Dieu t'envoie, accueille-les dans la joie."

La pilule d'or est passée par là, la biologie a fait un nouveau pas.
    Seigneur, je rends grâce à toi.

Il est dépassé, le triste enfantillage
    Car l'humanité toujours grandit en âge.
    La pilule, c'est épatant, même si elle a deux tranchants
    Elle souligne la victoire des amoureux sur l'histoire.

On a compris que la progéniture
    Doit être fruit d'amour et non d'aventure
    Et qu'dans la vie en commun, l'essentiel, c'est d'être un
    De bâtir son unité avant que d'enfanter.

Face au problème de la démographie
    Des nations surpeuplées, des affamés d'Asie
    La pilule peut enfin lutter contre le destin.
    Gens comblés, gens saturés, puisse-t-elle nous inquiéter?

Apothicaires, ne criez pas victoire
    Et vous, ne dites pas "Bravo, faisons la foire!"
    Le problème contraception attend notre réflexion
    Ni tabou, ni parti pris mais l'amour premier servi.

Science et connaissance éclairent la foi
    Puisse l'humanité grandir dans la joie.
    Seigneur, que l'amour soit roi, Seigneur, que l'amour soit roi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.