"One Hit Wonders" Daily Trivia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oldies trivia guy, Sep 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

No star for #203. Never found the answer and even the clue didn't help, because I completely forgot about the song called "The Duck."

Silver Star for #204. I ran down a mental list of all the many people who wrote Ronstadt's hits, thought, "Oh, let me check that one," and my hunch was perfect.

geo50000 likes this.
  2. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Been on a losing streak for weeks with the trivia here but I was certain I knew this latest one. Unfortunately, the Everly Bros. part threw me so I had to check, therefore, Silver Star. The horror!

3. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Oh Man, you're outta luck...
    Here's the Sly Stone-produced Bobby Freeman cover of "The Duck", which IMO rocks a lot harder than the hit ...Jackie Lee's version sounds pretty timid compared to this:

bluemooze likes this.
  4. Oldies trivia guy

Oldies trivia guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I agree. It has a lot more "drive" to it.

5. downer

downer Senior Member

Gold #204

6. Oldies trivia guy

Hint for #204.....Michael Landon's first movie roll was "I Was A.....".

7. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

Tin Star for #204 with this clue.

8. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Gold for #202

9. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

#204 tin star, from the clue

Everly Bros link - would never have pictured that!

10. Oldies trivia guy

ANSWER TO YESTERDAY'S QUESTION.......

4/17/19

He was formerly bandleader for The Everly Brothers and wrote a hit for Linda Ronstadt.

"Werewolves Of London" / Warren Zevon
    Asylum Records #21 1978

Yes, in the early 70's, Warren was the keyboardist and bandleader for the Everly Brothers. More recognition came when Linda Ronstadt recorded his "Poor Poor Pitiful Me". Later he teamed up with 3 members of R.E.M. for Hindu Love Gods. In 1975 he roomed with Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham and collaborated with Jackson Browne on his first album. Mick Fleetwood and Lindsey Buckingham appeared on "Werewolves Of London". Warren died of cancer in 2003.

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with.In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart.
    What I found recently after starting this thread was that if someone correctly answers the question soon after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to participate. I don't want that to happen since this is a forum. So, let me describe how I think this can work successfully. You have five choices for initial answers...

1. If you absolutely know that you know the answer, without any doubt, simply post "GOLD STAR", and leave a comment, if you like, about the song that doesn't hint or giveaway the answer. Please come back and post your full comments and memories about the song after the answer has been posted. This is what I want to encourage the most since this is a forum.

2. If you want to confirm your initial thought and look it up, post a SILVER STAR , with the same criteria as in #1.

3. If you want to take the time to research the answer, post a TIN STAR. Same criteria as #1.

4. Post your guesses. But let us know it's a guess, meaning it may or may not be correct. Comments would be welcomed.

5. Simply post "I don't know" and leave any comments you might have.

With these choices, it gives everyone a chance to correctly answer the question early and still leave room for everyone to participate until the official answer is posted. Again, I really want to hear your comments and memories about the song/artist. Good luck and have fun !

NEW QUESTION.......

4/18/19

This group from Oregon and Arizona was formed by a member of a popular 60's sitcom.

Please choose from the answer options above.

bluemooze likes this.
  11. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

205 - Silver

12. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I didn't want to say it before because it might have been construed as too generous a hint, but it's Pitiful that Zevon only had one Top 40 hit in his career.

BTW somewhere I have read that Warren said it was a phrase of Brother Phil's that lead to the creation of Werewolves.

Here is a remarkable song that Phil recorded which he and Warren composed - The Lion and the Lamb

13. Polyscias

Polyscias Forum Resident

David Gilmour is playing guitar on Zevon's Run straight down.

14. Oldies trivia guy

BTW...regarding the hint for #204....For those of you who didn't know, Michael Landon's first movie was "I Was A Teenage Werewolf".

Chemguy likes this.
  15. CatchAsCan

CatchAsCan Forum Resident

205 - Silver (I only had to check that one of the bandmembers was not originally from Oregon or Arizona, as I suspected).

16. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Gold Star for #205.

17. tim_neely

And my reply had a subtle hint in it when I mentioned that my hunch (and not my hair) was perfect. I wasn't having a piƱa colada at Trader Vic's at the time.

18. Oldies trivia guy

Hint for #205......It probably wasn't nearly as big as Marilyn McCoo's "beautiful" one.

19. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I think I know it. Is there a Jan & Dean connection?

20. tim_neely

Tin star for #205. I searched and searched and found nothing, and then the clue gave it to me.

This may be too large a hint, but the 45 has something in common with "They're Coning to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa!" by Napoleon XIV.

MikeM likes this.
  21. ALAN SICHERMAN

ALAN SICHERMAN Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx, NY

I love(d) this album. The hit was "Ro Ro Rosie", the Van Morrison song. The flip side of the single was "My Own Man" which I believe her wrote. Never heard from him after this.

[​IMG]

22. Oldies trivia guy

:)

23. Oldies trivia guy

:)

24. Oldies trivia guy

ANSWER TO YESTERDAY'S QUESTION.......

4/18/19

This group from Oregon and Arizona was formed by a member of a popular 60's sitcom.

"Yellow Balloon" / Yellow Balloon
    Canterbury Records #25 1967

In late 1966, Dean Torrence of Jan and Dean went to songwriter/producer Gary Zekley looking for new material. He was impressed with Gary's "Yellow Balloon" and recorded it solo as Jan was recently injured in a car crash. It was released under the Jan and Dean name but at the same time Canterbury Records came upon it and recruited other musicians, including Don Grady, formerly of "My Three Sons" fame, to record a different version. To show this as a total "studio" effort, the group of musicians, put together by Canterbury artist Grady, were given the same name as the song and no "B" side was recorded. Like another studio song from a couple of years earlier, they just put the song backwards on the "B" side. The group played a few West Coast gigs then disbanded. Dean's version never cracked the Top 100.

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with.In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart.
    What I found recently after starting this thread was that if someone correctly answers the question soon after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to participate. I don't want that to happen since this is a forum. So, let me describe how I think this can work successfully. You have five choices for initial answers...

1. If you absolutely know that you know the answer, without any doubt, simply post "GOLD STAR", and leave a comment, if you like, about the song that doesn't hint or giveaway the answer. Please come back and post your full comments and memories about the song after the answer has been posted. This is what I want to encourage the most since this is a forum.

2. If you want to confirm your initial thought and look it up, post a SILVER STAR , with the same criteria as in #1.

3. If you want to take the time to research the answer, post a TIN STAR. Same criteria as #1.

4. Post your guesses. But let us know it's a guess, meaning it may or may not be correct. Comments would be welcomed.

5. Simply post "I don't know" and leave any comments you might have.

With these choices, it gives everyone a chance to correctly answer the question early and still leave room for everyone to participate until the official answer is posted. Again, I really want to hear your comments and memories about the song/artist. Good luck and have fun !

NEW QUESTION........

4/19/19

A hit from a Dean Martin Impersonator.

Please choose from the answer options above.

bluemooze likes this.
  25. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Regarding the song "Yellow Balloon," this Wikipedia article says that the version released by the "band" Yellow Balloon was recorded entirely by studio musicians and vocalists.

Only after it became a hit was Don Grady recruited to form an actual Yellow Balloon band, since up to that point, no such band existed. So by this account, Grady and company are on the additional tracks on the Yellow Balloon album, but are not on the single.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.