One possible reason Star Trek The Motion Picture Directors Cut is not on blu ray?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by XIDOR, May 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

That is what ADR is for. Very true. The entire dialog for Tron had to be looped as the costumes made too much noise.

2. john morris

Speculation! How do you know how well it might sell? It might be 2001 copies. :biglaugh:

Seriously though, I think 2000 copies is a bit dim. For example if a 5.1 mix of an album sells 10 000 copies it considered to have done well. But we are talking about the DC of Star Trek: The Motion Picture here. It would sell more than 2000 copies.....Not even as a joke. 20 0000 easy. But they could always Jack up the price to compensate.

3. It could be but the additional footage also had segments missing visual effects. It also depends 0n how it was assembled and if the footage is still around (it’s remarkable how things can disappear. Ecuador of mislabeling, etc.)

4. john morris

Funny, I have the Blu-ray HD Of Aliens and I can see the grain on that. Or is this a recent decision of Jim's? I can see the point of some NR for evening out film grain so it dosen't vary like crazy from on one scene to the next. But they are a few HD /4k release where they have removed all the film grain and it looks like plastic Land.

It is like in audio mastering. A little bit of Eq Is o.k. but too many engineers use too much EQ. And the use of compression I won't even get into. I think balance is needed for redoing these films in 4k.

5. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I think most of the additional pieces are on the Blu-ray. The only one missing effects is the extended spacewalk scene; the set frame work can be seen behind Shatner.

In theory I'm not aware of any reason that version can't be put back together; maybe excise that troublesome shot...except, of course, money, time, and someone giving a damn.

wayneklein likes this.
  6. Sadly...Paramount does sometimes have a history of not giving a damn.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  7. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

That version was I think cut together for the first network TV airing on ABC circa '82. I suppose it could be recreated for Blu-ray, but Wise's official director's cut is far superior (and features numerous new effects shots).

8. john morris

I remember those 4.1 / 6 channel 70 mm releases of old. They seemed to be better surround mixes in those days. More bold. It is maybe just my old memory. I heard more rear channel information back then (with all the problems of 6 track optical soundtracks) then I do with today's Dolby Atmos mixes. I guess the mixing style was different.

Films I remember seeing in 6 track 70 mm:

Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home (1984) I saw the 70 mm presentation 4 times over 4 weeks. The film always looked good to me and the sound was perfect.

Aliens (1986)

Return of the Jedi (back in 1983)

Dances With Wolves (Actually shot in 70 mm)

Hamlet (Actually shot in 70 mm)

Yes, why bother with the expense of a 70 mm print when a nice 35 mm print with it's Dolby Digital soundtrack is cheaper to produce and dosen't have all the alignment/calibration issues that 70 mm had.

captainsolo likes this.
  9. john morris

I wish. I have the Blu-ray and even the additional dialog bits aren't there.

10. BeatleJWOL

Even as deleted scenes? I haven't checked my copy lately.

11. BeatleJWOL

For reference:
    Deleted scene

Not that it matters, per this comment from the High Def Digest review:
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture Blu-ray Review | High Def Digest

john morris likes this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

bottom line; will we get the DC on BD...EVER????

13. john morris

I would like to see the TV version of Star Trek 2. It explains why Scotty is crying in Sick Bay. And did not William Shatner have to cut 20 minutes or more out of Star Trek 5. Can we have a DC of that too? Or is that footage lost?

BeatlesObsessive likes this.
  14. john morris

Within the next 50 years.....Sure.

15. john morris

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

very sad...: (

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

This was all done back in 2011-2012. Fox had some control over grain level (since they paid for the work), so I'm guessing the final decision was a compromise.

john morris likes this.
  18. john morris

Mmmm.....it looked pretty grainy. Are you telling me the actual negative was way more grainy than what I saw? Scary!

19. BeatleJWOL

Shatner's been lobbying to make a director's cut of STV for, well, ever.

That's the so-named "Special Longer Version" and is apparently the same as the ABC TV version of the film.

sunspot42 and john morris like this.
  20. john morris

Will that ever get on HD? I loved that one.

21. BeatleJWOL

Seems unlikely. I think it was said the TV version was felt to be too long and not to Robert Wise's tastes.

I happen to think all those character moments are great and should be there. Balances out the endless shots in the second third of the film of Shatner and Takei gaping at a green screen. A few of them violate the "show, don't tell" rule but I'm not inclined to think that's always a problem, particularly in Trek, the franchise that perfected technobabble.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes. A lot of 1980s films are really, really grainy (particularly in HD, where the grain is 6 times sharper than it was in SD).

That's what Mr. Wise told me when we were doing some fixes on the home video release of Sound of Music, for which I mastered maybe 3 scenes in 1996-1997 (out of the whole feature). Wise said if it was up to him, Star Trek would've been 2 hours, which "would've gotten to the point faster." This is the guy who edited dozens of films prior to becoming a director (including Citizen Kane), so he's one of the most editing-savvy directors in movie history.

That is extremely true.

BeatlesObsessive and BeatleJWOL like this.
  23. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I think Aliens was "totally" regrained and then they put back a new layer of grain to make it more even throughout the film. I can be wrong but I remember reading something like that when I bought the blu-ray box set

24. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yeah, I'd cut more of the effects and dump in all of the cut character work. Trek was always about character pieces and not so much about plot, even back in the '60s, compared to other "action" shows of the time. So a cut with all of the character stuff and less of the (recycled, anyhow) plot would probably work better as a Trek film.

25. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I see a lot of Blu-Rays in the Walmart Value Bin that should have never been released. "Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Director's Cut) should be released! My opinion.

john morris and sunspot42 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.