One Year Later - The Legacy Of Gregg Allman

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Myke, May 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse Thread Starter

From Hittin' The Note's Facebook page...

" As many of you know, Hittin’ the Note was given access over the years to film a number of Allman Brothers Band concerts – simply for the archives, just to have so that one day we could look back fondly on all of the magic we experienced. A dozen HTN clips, along with other professionally filmed moments were used on the “Queen of Hearts” anniversary compilation put together by Concord Records to mark the one year anniversary of Gregg’s passing. Check it out by going to www.GreggAllman.com

While Joe Bell (and Ron Currens) did most of the filming, John Lynskey (Editor) used his considerable skills to interview Gregg a number of times, throughout the decades after the band reformed in 1989. You can see a compilation of John’s articles from the magazine on Gregg’s “One Year Later” link on the home page www.GreggAllman.com

Hittin’ the Note deeply shares with you, the Fans, Family, Managers, Road Crew and Friends - the sorrow of Gregg’s passing and the joy of the memories he left behind. Because music matters… "

2. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I’d like to see a DVD of all the restored footage of the Allman Brothers from 1969-1971 to start with, including Atlanta 1970.
    I’m sure there is lots plus the mid 1970s had some great moments too.

3. Myke

68 minute interview with Scott Sharrard, Alan Paul, and Jonny Podell :

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  4. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I'd like an expanded version of the live album with Cowboy and orchestra. Given there was an orchestra, there may not be much variation between dates, though. Were there additional songs in the original set list?

allbrosca and pool_of_tears like this.
  5. Myke

Whipping Post was presented to the Brothers as it appeared in 1997 on Searching For Simplicity ? Wow.

In the last year, every time I hear how the music he preferred was what he gave us via his solo career...that he played the Brothers' music out of love, and respect to Duane, and then Duane's memory is such a revelation for me.
    Bringing up his solo versions of Midnight Rider, Come And Go Blues, Whipping Post.

ARK, Hep Alien and Bill Mac like this.
  6. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Gregory's legacy will always have an asterisk beside it simply because of the untimely
    demise of his brother.

Ignatius likes this.
  7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Yes there were more songs in the set. A full show would make a great addition to a Super Deluxe Edition Of Laid Back

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  8. pool_of_tears

Thanks, @MYKE

9. Myke

You're welcome. Spoke to Alan Paul today...his SRV book will be out next Spring.

jwb1231970 likes this.
  10. pool_of_tears

Ooh, I’ll be checking that out

Myke likes this.
  11. blueslover99

blueslover99 Forum Resident

I always had that impression since the One More Try anthology. The music on there presented a very different career overview of unreleased material that suggested more of a mellow singer/songwriter, definitely a different side of the "Allman Brothers" sound.

ARK and Hep Alien like this.
  12. Myke

Oh yeah, I knew about that release in advance, thanks to a half-page ad in a free music periodical, but until Gregg passed, I just thought it was simply another side...not his first preference. And hearing today how he came in from a smoke break to hear Berry expanding on Whipping Post...I was floored. I love "new" revelations about 49 year-old music.

13. blueslover99

blueslover99 Forum Resident

Same...this information is revelatory!

Myke likes this.
  14. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Will they release thus stuff for physical purchase?

15. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Helluva writer IMHO. Love his Big in China and ABB books. Revisit them frequently.

Myke likes this.
  16. Myke

What stuff ?

17. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Did
    I completely misunderstand this thread?
    I thought Hittin ?The ?Note was presenting some concerts and interviews they had stored.
    My apologies, if I misunderstood.
    Glen

pool_of_tears and Myke like this.
  18. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Some nice words about Brother Gregg in the liner-notes of Little Steven's new
    live set, `Soulfire Live!'. Steve covers `It's Not My Cross To Bear', which I never
    in a million years would have expected.

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Gregg soldiered on with the Allmans through some good times and some bad. In the end, I think the legacy of the band over its entire lifetime will someday be appreciated. There is the idea out there that it was over when Duane died (and times when it seemed true) but they put out a lot more good work than bad over the years, the later albums are underrated, and the body of live work is unmatched.

20. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Not a day goes by without thinking about all the "Brothers" that we have been fortunate to have, and forever stung by their loss. Been digging the Oswley Stanley 3-disc set. I miss Gregg most of all and he's only been gone a short time. I play two cover songs in his honor every single day, just me. an acoustic, a drink and Gregg hangin' out close by. With the deepest respect.....

CCrider92 likes this.
  21. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Saw this today. Guess this is a good of place as any to share it. Cool pic of Gregg w/Dan Toler and Hank Williams Jr..

[​IMG]

Hep Alien and ARK like this.
  22. pool_of_tears

3 years ago, and it still stings. The music sure does help ease things, a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.