Opinions about KISS?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

So what music did you grow into?
    Many of us don't use music as some sort of gauge to measure our "taste" in music.
    Some how I was able to still like Kiss even after absorbing lots of music like Bartok, Hindemith, Coltrane etc.
    I guess some of us have the ability to appreciate a broader range of music than others.

2. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Absolutely.

I had a career as a recording artist. Three major label deals. (Dropped every time.....so, I had my turn at bat....I just struck out....oh well, onwards and upwards.) Then I produced, engineered, mixed and composed "sound-a-likes" for various media. By that point, I had to quickly a-tune myself to any type of music I was asked to help facilitate. And I had NO IDEA what I might be asked to do next.......I ended up getting my Bachelors in composition from Berklee (In Boston.) and concentrating exclusively on composing. Which I enjoyed....I couldn't stand producing and engineering....not for a living anyway....I HATED that job.

At any rate, I had to learn to compose (And notate.) full orchestral pieces.....then when I went to work ,Mainly doing incidental cues for reality shows. I had to produce a number of cues in whatever style or genre the spec sheet asked for...so....I've dabbled in more types of music than I knew existed....often learning what that genre was, while simultaneously composing cues in that style. (Thank God for the internet....how else is a KISS fan going to learn the rules of writing "Meringue" or Baroque"?)

But KISS has always stayed with me, and I believe getting my early musical education through them helped me in ways other composers can't understand. KISS taught me to GET TO THE POINT.....what am writing this piece or song for? DO THAT.....Don't screw around with a bunch of superfluos crap. (Unless that's what the piece calls for.)

We've all heard of "KEEP. IT. SIMPLE. STUPID."

And to this day, it's the best musical lesson I have ever learned.

3. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

INTERESTING!

I'm going to give it a listen with that in mind.

....but for the record, I always Dynasty sounded awesome!

4. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I had no idea about any of this!! What I thought up to this point was that the “classic era” songs were remixed to some degree. Most notable to me was the drum sound on I Love It Loud. It lacked the “heaviness” of the drum sound on Creatures (like the drums had been neutered). I never noticed any difference on the Smashes versions of Lick It Up, or Tears Are Falling.
    I haven’t listened to this album in well over 20 years, so I am going to need to revisit this. So are you saying the non Gene or Paul produced songs are completely re-recorded??? Or are you just referring to the drums? Other than the drum sound, some added reverb, and maybe some edits, everything else sounds the same as the originals to me. Fascinating indeed!!

MikeInFla likes this.
  5. Black Cat Surfboards

Black Cat Surfboards Forum Resident

13 years old...."bought the "Rock and Roll all Night" on 45 rpm 7" when it came out. it sounded pretty fresh and exciting to my young ears. I still think its a nifty song with a killer riff. That was pretty much the last time I ever really was jazzed by Kiss.

changeling69 likes this.
  6. futureinreverse

futureinreverse Forum Resident

The thing about KISS is they have a fascinating history, and it's a very fun band to talk about. I'm sure other bands like Aerosmith, Foreigner, and Styx have their die-hard fans that like to discuss minutia of those bands, but there's just something about KISS. The history of the makeup adds an interesting layer to the story. So does the oddball dynamics of the original lineup, a very unlikely gang of guys. Relating to that is the fact that 2 of the original 4 are pretty straight-laced and "professional" for rock stars. There are just a lot of interesting angles of the history of the band that make it fascinating to discuss and read about. If you enjoy any of Klosterman's writings on the band, you'll understand. For me, the other bands that compete are the Monkees and Fleetwood Mac, bands with similarly interesting histories and facets.

7. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Well said.

Curveboy and futureinreverse like this.
  8. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Yes,

The non Gene and Paul produced songs are 100% rerecorded.

It was 100% due to thew retroactive tax bill they had been served. Crazy Nights cost them a fair bit of money too.

But yes, re-listen to it......"Love Gun" actually isn't bad. But you'll clearly see everything has been re-tracked on the cheap.

9. changeling69

changeling69 WorldCitizen

I'd like to talk about Kiss's worst album ever.....Dynasty. They reached their wimpiest high with songs like I was made for loving you....I get the fact that the album was produced and arranged for the "disco" crowd, but Kiss ain't the Stones where anything they do, they get away with. The latter released Some Girls which was directed to the poppier dance crowd, but it was waaaaay more credible than any Dynasty.

10. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Dynasty is one of my favorite records ever.....And is KISS's 2nd best selling studio record.

"I was made for loving you" is a beloved song, worldwide, to this very day.

Don't mistake your own opinions for objective truth.

11. Many Clouds

Many Clouds Forum Resident

“I was made for loving you “ is a great song. One of my favourite Kiss songs. I’m not a big Kiss fan, but like some of their stuff.

deeluxdx7, changeling69 and carlwm like this.
  12. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I like Some Girls more than Dynasty but it's still a very good record and ironically it includes the best ever Stones cover 2000 Man, the only Stones cover which most agree leaves the original in the dust (keep in mind that The Stones are my favorite band of all time).

deeluxdx7 and carlwm like this.
  13. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

100% re-recorded? Nope. The old tracks are messed with to some extent, most notably the drums, but they're still the old tracks.

Curveboy and Terrapin Station like this.
  14. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Yes, and even their name is just total cringe.

changeling69 likes this.
  15. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Is Kiss your Number 2? I in fact would of thought Kiss was your number 1 from various threads... I respectfully disagree about 2000 Man, but I know a lot of other people are on your side of this. I do though, actually like Ace's take, but I'll take Mick's vocal every time.

changeling69 likes this.
  16. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Not even in my Top 10. I barely listen to classic rock these days. But KISS threads are always interesting to read and participate in. As for Mick's vocal - I would love to hear a more beefed up live version of 2000 Man from The Stones. The original is almost letargic.

carlwm likes this.
  17. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

IMO 2000 is one of the lesser songs from Satanic Majesties, not bad either, but you may have a point on energy level.. The Kiss version beats it for energy, but The Stones version sounds more organic and Mick is a million times the singer Ace is. I have a lot of Kiss videos's and though all the Ace songs are good, he never sings them well. A little let down on quality from Stanley and even Simmons. For me a bigger let down than when the Beatles gave Ringo the mic. In the live setting I'd even say Ringo is a better singer.
    I do like Aces vocals better on studio recordings than his live work. Quite surprised Kiss is outside of your top 10. I guess I'm with you there, outside mine too, but the discussions often grab me. So what music you getting into now?

carlwm likes this.
  18. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Well, The Clash is arguably my number 2 now and overall it's mostly reggae/dub, also a lot of punk, proto or post, Paisley Undergound. Kraut, plus the classic Iggy/Lou/Bowie stuff etc. As for KISS, well the classic era (as well as Sabbath's) is arguably the only hard rock that still does it for me. And I like Ace's vocals as well as Peter's. Sure he's not Mick (who is??) but he's good the way he is. To me it's a bit like Keef singing - we all know how imperfect his voice is but it works. The same with Ace on his KISS tunes and 1978 solo album. Too bad his later solo stuff is generic hair metal.

BDC likes this.
  19. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Ok I like all that stuff too for the most part. Good analogy with Keef...........
    I generally like all the studio Keith cuts, and find it hit and miss on the live. Kiss with the original lineup having Ace do a tune is indeed a similar thing, and either bands show wouldn't be right without these appearances.

changeling69 likes this.
  20. Automatic Changer

Automatic Changer Forum Resident

Fixed.

changeling69 likes this.
  21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Can't compare Dynasty and Some Girls because I haven't heard the latter. I generally prefer KISS to The Stones though, and regard Dynasty as a mostly excellent album although, ironically, in terms of this discussion, one of the songs I'm not keen on, is the Stones cover.

changeling69 likes this.
  22. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I think Molly Hatchet and Bonnie Tyler also did Hide Your Heart...but I don't think anyone picked up on the other songs.

carlwm likes this.
  23. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I think there is only partial truth to this story...first off, they didn't re-record any songs except Beth.
    The pre-1979 tracks were remixed, along with I Love It Loud. And they used drum triggers; not a drum machine per-say.

Yes, the two new tracks used a drum machine, but I'm pretty sure Eric Carr programmed them himself.

I think the reason for all this was that Paul wanted to do a new album and tour; Gene didn't. So as a stop gap they put together a new greatest hits package. Then Paul went out on a small solo tour shortly after and did X In Sex as part of the live set. He also threw in Hide Your Heart to gage fan reaction; he wanted it on Crazy Nights, and Gene didn't like it. Once Gene saw the fans chanting along with it he saw the potential and they put it out on HITS.

Terrapin Station, Queezma and carlwm like this.
  24. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Both those versions are excellent.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  25. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

There is a great live b-side from the Steel Wheels era of 2,000 Man...

changeling69 likes this.