Opinions on Floorstanding Speakers - Budget $4K

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheVinylAddict, May 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

Sorry, I have no input on the speakers you have listed, but would really like to hear your thoughts on the Adagio when you get it going.

mike catucci and TheVinylAddict like this.
  2. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

There's a dealer ad on Canuck Audio mart now for a set at $3500 CAD, which is $2660 right now in USD, and marked as excellent condition, pretty good deal.

So who is the Focal raving Kevin?

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  3. SteevG

SteevG Forum Resident

If you're going down the valve rabbit hole, the Klipsch Forte III is a keeper. Great for music throughout a house and can really handle any amp.

Happy hunting!

dwilawyer and TheVinylAddict like this.
  4. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found Thread Starter

Thanks @timind -- we seem to have similar tastes!

Yeah, agreed, but he especially raved about the 1028 Be... lots of hand waving and foot shuffling when he talked about these! LOL :)

Surely I will :) - but it will take time as the only thing longer than my audio to-do list right now is my work and personal to-do --- suddenly my travel schedule went from nothing to too many trips, including overseas...

Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio. :) Cheers Davey.

I have Klipsch now - including the RP-450C center in one room, the RP-250S surrounds, and Klipsch RP floorstanders.... I took a long hard look at the Cornwall and Forte... at the end of the day, the type of music I listen to and the shape / size of the Klispsch Heritage led me in other directions. I was tempted though... the Forte III's are great for rock, jazz, but fall just a little short on classical, which I listen to as much as rock and jazz.

EDIT - btw, valve for the phono stage only, not for the pre / amp.... I have Parasound P5 / A21 combo, so can drive a wide range. THe Klipsch are very easy to drive, and I have an A21 that is complete overkill for that! If I do go tube amp though, then I will revisit.

5. SteevG

SteevG Forum Resident

I use a beautiful pair of Quartets and listen to about 30% classical (WFMT Chicago and a lot of vinyl) the Klipsch will work well there too.

dwilawyer and TheVinylAddict like this.
  6. Davey

Ah, makes sense, didn't know he'd moved up to one name diva status in the audio world, I'm so hopelessly out of touch.... :)

timind and TheVinylAddict like this.
  7. TheVinylAddict

Well, technically I said "Kevin D" so he didn't... but close :). He's a "D-Drop" away from diva status....

8. Davey

Oh, whew, good to know I'm not out of touch, but bad to know my reading skills have sunk so low, guess I should've read your update :)

At least the stereo is sounding pretty good right now, spinning some Bowery Electric from the Beat record.

9. Helom

Helom Forum member

So which of these have you auditioned, or have you not had a chance to audition any of them?

Either of the Vandys would be my pick because I've heard most of the rest and they all have that "hyper real" treble that seems to impress during auditions but grow tiresome in the long run. The Revels would be my third choice because they have adjustable treble and I believe they can be tamed with the right components.

Guildx500 and TheVinylAddict like this.
  10. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I would want to try the Tekton Double Impacts - although they seem to break all the rules there are too many positive reports on them to ignore.

11. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

And there was a pretty positive review on the Impact monitors in the latest Stereophile. The monitors incorporate the essentials of the Double Impact floorstanders but without the dual 10” woofers. I hope Stereophile also reviews the Double Impacts, but because of the latest review, I don’t know if they will dedicate resources to one now.

They are kind of a blind buy, unfortunately. Some people really like them (me included) others don’t.

12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

A friend has the Double Impacts. I was impressed but the tweeter array but it still seems odd to me. They are a very midrange forward, present speaker.

TheVinylAddict and Kristofa like this.
  13. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

It seems so odd to me too, Lee. But too many good reports to ignore.

Kristofa likes this.
  14. TheVinylAddict

I've heard all but the Revels and Dynaudios. Was in SD a last month and heard the Vandy's. Hard to ignore them.... For the Monitor Audios, I only heard the 200 locally (an fellow audiophile), and can only imagine what the 300 sounds like as they were very nice. Of course, it all depends on synergy and the system they are in, and this system matched nicely.

Again, the Vandy's, though they don't get the attention and love they used to, are hard to ignore. The owner of the shop in SD where I tried them out is very high on them too....

The DI's are BIG, too big for my space. They were considered though. I actually spoke with Eric at Tekton a couple of times, and he had me interested in the Electrons.... but at the end of the day, too many design changes on those, and I was not 100% comfortable with the tweeter array.

The DI's have tons of good reviews and testimonials... but the Electrons, not so much, actually devoid of user or pro reviews which was cause for hesitation. Plus, I would have to get up to Salt Lake to hear them, and have not had the chance.... not a large distribution network, it's Salt Lake or bust for auditioning them.

Kristofa likes this.
  15. 4xoddic

4xoddic Forum Resident

• . . . I'll say! and then one has to weigh/discard the reviews of 1027/28/37/38 Focal Beryllium tweeters with unknown run-in time; *claims of inadequate upstream power & sources; & room dynamics => maybe leaves Google with 2 opinions, one being KevinD's.

I've got a BB in town, but would need to travel 2 hours minimum to hear anything I was remotely interested in hearing. I was upgrading from Polk RTi-a9s; & have 4 of them in a 7.0 HT Powering the front 2 with a *Yamaha P7000S (700 wpc) via preouts from a Yamaha RX-A1050, source a Yamaha BD-A1040. All in a 19' X 11' X 8' room with an opening on back wall of 9' X 8'.

So SHTV wisdom => audio road trip, RMAF, AG, auctions aside; those deals on 1028bes kept popping up. In addition to dealers with demos on AG being undercut by MD & Kevin . . . I experienced an asset windfall & had holes flaming in all my pockets.

One last Google of 1028be prices, & voila, now there are "refurbished" models of 1038bes marked down another $1K ($1k > 1028bes). I ignore the non-audiophile angel & hit Buy Now; they're shipped from Quebec & 15 days later I wrestle 2 of the Polks out & waddle 2 1038bes into place.

Sorry OP, but this is not a review, only a buying experience. Wife came home 2 days after delivery. WAF = I can hear a difference, I didn't think I would. They look smaller than the Polks . . .

I will admit they do not overpower the room, as reviews would predict. They did not sound harsh due to low- brow upstream components. The beryllium tweeters sound pretty smooth, hard to believe these might not have run-in time in a showroom. I put on David Grisman DGQ20 & Joseph Carroll's bass was in the corner of the room! The one-eyed guy has a smile on his face.:righton:

808_state and TheVinylAddict like this.
  16. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Focal or Dynaudio...design and construction I guess. Vandys are supposed to be amazing as well but I believe should be bi-amped (per the manufacturer). But you are absolutely right in noting that it's all system dependent synergy. Very cool that you're doing the homework.

17. TheVinylAddict

OK.... still mulling my speaker choices, treading carefully :)

One question - I passed up an opportunity locally to get a like new set of Golden Ear Triton 1's for $2500 (retail in the $5K range).

Anybody have experience with the GE Triton 1's or 2's, and more importantly, have had a chance to contrast to a Vandersteen 2 or 3, or a Monitor 300, etc?

In other words, where does GE fit into the "audiophile, critical listening" lineup? I am usually not a fan of powered speakers, I had a couple Def Techs powered before ---- however, those selling the GE's said these are powered speakers "done right". Besides, the GE's are actually designed by the Def Tech designer....

Anyway, thoughts are always welcomed!!

18. Helom

Helom Forum member

One of the brightest, most ear piercing speakers I've heard, and that was paired with McIntosh amps. I've tried multiple Triton speakers at a local dealer trying to understand what all the fuss is about...I just don't get it.:confused:

The same dealer sells Revel, MA, and B&W -- all better speakers IMO

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    Dave, hobbes4444, displayname and 3 others like this.
  19. TheVinylAddict

Thanks for your feedback Helom - first you know I value your input :righton:, and second I have heard that feedback before. (you know by now just because I ask a question doesn't mean I have not researched).

Interesting this speaker foray I have undertaken. I am going to continue treading carefully. I will say after recent phono preamp upgrades and auditions (Adagio, LCR Tube, upgraded LCR / COpla) that I never thought my Klipsch speakers could sound this good.... and moreover, some are telling me that once I go all tube to complement that Adagio, I will be shocked just how good the Klipsch will sound , even the "lowly" Reference Premiers I own. (and especially things like Corwalls, Fortes) . Actually, the RP's are a good speaker, I shouldn't call them lowly.... but I still wouldn't mind comparing something else. There is definitely another tier up IMHO for not a lot more $$$ used.

Fun, fun, fun!

Oh, still interested in others feedback on the Golden Ears.... always open to learning, and more feedback! It all comes down to system synergy too....

displayname likes this.
  20. Helom

Helom Forum member

I wouldn't call the RPs lowly. I heard tgem with SS gear - Integra amps, so they definitely weren't in their element, but i can imagine them being very good with tubes.

21. TheVinylAddict

Yeah, 98db sensitivity, a long history of Klipsch shining with tubes.... you are right. But the RP's are the Rodney Dangerfield of the Klipsch line compared to the Heritage line --- maybe rightfully so, but IMHO the RP series filled the gaps where the RF and prior series fell down.

Cheers.

Helom likes this.
  22. TheVinylAddict

That being said, I still have to try other speakers!

Like the guy on the other end of the .44 said in Dirty Harry "I got's to know!" :cool:

Helom likes this.
  23. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I'D have to admit, my prejudice against GE speakers has always been the cabinet. Never could get past the sock. That was until the last two Reference GE speakers hit the market. They where fabulous and very aggressive speakers. Never saw them as bright, I rather thought Sandys interpretation of that folded ribon tweeter is rather nice. They have great synergy with Bel Canto amps and Wireworld interconnects and Analysis Plus speaker cables

displayname and TheVinylAddict like this.
  24. TheVinylAddict

Just as a data point, how much are the Reference again??:cool:

25. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

JBL L300? :D

Dingusboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.