Oppo 105D with Modwright Modification

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tullman, Jan 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

For what it's worth
    I use the Shuguang Black Treasures in my amp

They are the best sounding tube I've rolled yet!

2. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

FYI, Dan has a trade-in modded 205 on clearance (~ 25% off + shipping included) just posted on his audiocircle forum today.

Doug

3. BigGame

BigGame Forum Resident

I got offere for 105 MW 2000€
    Demo device
    Next week I’ll be trying to put in my system No1 to see how it compares with Sony ES+Marantz dac and against Ayon cd 1
    Look like good deal

4. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

You could get a Modwright 205 demo for that price...

5. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

Well, I'm joining the club as I will be receiving a unit shortly. It will come with RCA 50s NOS and stock rectifier. I am thinking to shop for a Philips 5R4GYS rectifier, anyone can point me to a trustworthy source where I can get one?

This player will play back almost all my music softwares. I have many many redbook cds, sacds, DVD-Audio discs, HDCDs, and pre-emphasis cds. Here lies the only problem I face though. The 105 will only play back pre-emphasis cds TOC, not sub-coded. Alas, I have both. If pre-emphasis is not decoded, the material on the cd will sound shrill and way too trebly. That is my only little trouble here, but it is one, I can certainly live with for what this player has to offer! :)

6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member Thread Starter

I got my Philips 5R4GYS at upscaleaudio.com

7. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Unfortunately the remaining stock is reserved for PrimaLuna customers only. See the link. This has been the case for at least 6 months. I tried to buy one last December for my Oppo/Modwright 105D unit.

Philips 5R4GYS Made in Holland

8. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Just bought a matched pair of Sylvania 1940s vintage 6SN7 from Andy at Vintage Tube Services.
    138$ each. They are getting expensive.
    However, I spoke to Dan Wright at Modwright, he said speak to Andy. They were Andys highest recommendation.

Its all subjective of course, but I think I have more detail and definition.
    Has anyone else had the same experience with the modwright Oppo?

Up to now, I've had the Sophia Electric 6SN7 in. For the last few years.

As someone relatively new to tube changing, what could I expect changing out the Sophia Electric 6SN7 with the vintage Sylvania???
    How long do the tubes take to burn in?
    Warm up?
    Overall, I gotta say it, I think I have a real improvement in the sound.

9. Tullman

Wow! I paid $119.00 3 years ago. I should have bought a couple.

Doug_B likes this.
  10. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Me too. Missed the boat.

Doug_B likes this.
  11. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

Me three on all counts.

Doug

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Reopened by request

Bill Mac likes this.
  13. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

FWIW (and posted a few times in the Farewell To Oppo Digital thread), Modwright is not planning to perform any more Oppo mods. Also, those of us who have both the 105 and 205 Modwright Oppo have noticed how much better sounding the modded 205 is compared to the modded 105, and that is not even considering the vastly greater capabilities of the 205 (in terms of audio file playback and multi-format compatibility, gapless playback, MQA - which I don't care for BTW, and far better video quality and video file playback)

14. Tullman

Yes, the 205 is overall better. I did notice the Modwright 205 has a lot more gain than the Modwright 105. Not preferred with my system. The 105 does HDCD playback which actually rivals my Esoteric without this feature.

Bill just purchased the Modwright 105. Hopefully he will chime in with his thoughts.

According to Modwright , there only around 300 of these units.

Bill Mac likes this.
  15. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

HDCD playback is fairly meaningless since any HDCD disc can easily be decoded with software, and the sound of the resulting files played on the Modwright 205 sounds better than either the files or the CD on the 105. Try it and see.

16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thank you :)!
    Yes I did! The ModWright 105 should arrive next week :righton:.

I was wondering if any ModWright Oppo owners are using there players in systems that are used for both two channel and multichannel (audio and video)? Right now I have a 103 and 105 in my main system. The 103 is for multichannel (audio and video) and the 105 is for two channel analog. At this time the 103 and 105 fit in my rack fine. But the Modwright 105 with the added height of the tubes will not fit with the 103. Due to the size of my rack there is no other space for the 103.

My concern is putting too many hours on the ModWright 105. I might try to get creative and move my two Wyred 4 Sound SX-500 mono block amps on the floor if the cabling allows it. Or I could try the ModWright 105 in my bedroom two channel system where there is plenty of room in the rack.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  17. screener

screener Forum Resident

[​IMG]

The PS 9.0 needs a space also. Enjoy your listening experiences!

rbbert and Tullman like this.
  18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Hey Kim, I can place the PS 9.0 on the top of the rack. Hope all is well!

Tullman likes this.
  19. Tullman

Not meaningless for someone like me who'd rather not dick around with the computer. You forgot to mention which software.

20. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Foobar2000 or dBPoweramp. As I posted, my experience is that you will get better sound this way

21. Tullman

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.