OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Does anyone know what the actual voltage output on the 103 is ? (2V or 2.1 as on the 105 ?) The manual doesn't say, neither can I find it anywhere online.

2. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Replied on your dedicated thread

The Pinhead likes this.
  3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Thanx. I read some poster compared the output levels with the 105 and believed the spl obtained was consistent between those two units (2.1V) Wonder if it won't be too hot for my vintage receiver (2V OK so far)

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Indeed, the Topping D50 DAC improved upon the sound of the Oppo 103 and 105 for stereo playback sound in all formats. Still need the Oppos for decoding 5.1 and all surround, but for stereo sound, I've hit paydirt at $199.99

https://www.amazon.com/TOPPING-ES90...t=&hvlocphy=9030945&hvtargid=pla-569045086968

tmtomh and Brother_Rael like this.
  5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Should be lovely and perfect. I'd have no fears.

The Pinhead likes this.
  6. Fathomgreencamaro

Fathomgreencamaro Well-Known Member

Need Oppo 105 streaming advice.

My 105 is <6 feet from the router. Currently using the Oppo WiFi adapter. Oppo outputs audio via analog to a Marantz 4300 quad receiver(vintage). Oppo outputs video via HDMI to a Sony 4K projector.

I want to stream Amazon Prime movies, Pandora, and maybe others.

1) Is Amazon Firestick4K the best choice? Only choice?
    2) Should I use ethernet cable to the Oppo and/or Firestick(via it's ethernet adapter)?

Thanks for the advice!

7. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

If price doesn't matter a Nvidia Shield is probably the best option. I use a Firestick 4K however which I paid $25 for around the holidays and have no complaints.

With that said, you aren't going to get 4K output AND audio both with your setup. To get audio you will have to use the HDMI input of the Oppo and that model is limited to 1080p. Plugging it into the 4K projector you aren't going to get audio to the Oppo. An HTPC with two HDMI's or a 4K reciever will give you options for both audio and video but my guess that isn't the direction you were looking to go.

Optical out to the Oppo is an option with the Shield but that limits the formats to compressed multichannel.

Edit... Doesn't look like the Shield has optical out so you might have to get a Roku sadly. But if all you care about is streaming Amazon movies you should be fine...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  8. Fathomgreencamaro

Thanks for the great explanation. How would the Roku solve my dilemna?

Here's an outside the box(literally) possibility. What if I got a 4K disc player to handle the streaming to the projector, and routed audio from the new player to my Oppo? I'll eventually want to play 4K discs, but my Oppo has been upgraded a bit and has analog outs, so I'd like to keep that in place for audio, including SACD, DVD-A, etc. Could I output the audio from a lesser player, without losing sound quality? Kind of like just using it as a transport?

9. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Whether you plug a Fire TV Stick or a Roku or a CD transport into the Oppo 105 you will not get 4k. The HDMI connections on the back of the 105 are not HDCP2.2-capable and will not pass 4k to your projector. The Fire TV Stick and the Roku will stream Amazon Prime, Pandora, Netflix, et all very capably, however, at 1080p, not 4k.

The short answer to "how can I get 4k on my present setup?" is that you cannot.

I am a 4k fan and an Oppo fanboi for life and I feel your pain.

10. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

following this exchange hoping to learn.

4K TVs are now industry-standard. And as far as sound goes, if you are using an HDMI or optical from your Oppo to your receiver you are sending a digital signal to your receiver regardless. So the Oppo's DAC isn't factoring in. I'm confused why the need to run a streaming service through a disc player?

11. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Perhaps due to a lack of other "smart" equipment?

12. Hymie the Robot

A Roku Ultra with optical out will provide you with 4K to your 4K projector and the optical out to the Oppo.

Yes, a 4K blu-ray player with two HDMI outs, one for 4K video to projector and the other for audio to your Oppo is an option. Keep in mind that streaming options on any blu-ray player will be limited compared to a dedicated streaming device.

The issue is that projectors, unlike TVs, don't have optical out for compatibility.

A "standard" setup would be a 4K receiver so you could plug any 4K streaming device via HDMI and output both 4K and uncompressed audio. The optical route is a compromise for compatibility.

You could get full uncompressed audio by connecting a streaming device to the Oppo HDMI in, but the resolution would be 1080p rather than 4K to your projector and that would be a larger compromise than an optical out solution which would be compressed DTS and AC3 audio.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  13. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

His vintage Marantz 4300 has neither HDMI nor optical capabilities. His projector is ceiling mounted with limited available connections. Of course, he could use a second HDMI from the Roku to the projector, but then he loses sound.

fluffskul and tmtomh like this.
  14. Fathomgreencamaro

Thanks very much for the brutal honesty. That is what I needed to know.

My thought was buying a 4K player just to pass the video to the projector, while simultaneously sending the sound to the Oppo 105.

hi_watt and Simon A like this.
  15. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Now if you had a nice funeral for the Marantz, retired it to a place of honor in the attic, and bought an HDCP2.2-capable AV receiver and hooked the Oppo to its 5.1 analog inputs and a Fire TV Stick or Roku to another HDMI input and then connected the HDMI output to your projector, you'd get 4k!

I understand; the Marantz has been a loyal family member for so many years; it's hard to say goodbye. Maybe it's time.

hi_watt likes this.
  16. richard3102

richard3102 New Member

hello all... on an oppo 103d with latest firmware, i want to run my fireTV ("lite" =1080p max) stick through the player -- but, i cannot get the stick to operate via front the front hdmi/mhl input; using the rear hdmi input works fine -- is the rear hdmi input different from front? if yes, is it a matter of the rear running one hdmi version and the front another? any help to get my front hdmi/mhl able to accept the fireTV stick appreciated ...thanks

17. richard3102

richard3102 New Member

p.s., the appropriate hdmi input is selected-for in each case

18. Hymie the Robot

I have the same Oppo and a 4K Firestick and both HDMI inputs work with it. I have plugged it directly, used the add-on cable and used a cheap 3 port hdmi switch, and all worked fine. Does the front work with other devices?

jeffsab likes this.
  19. richard3102

richard3102 New Member

thanks for the feedback -- to confirm, the rear hdmi input seems to work with various sources as expected/well/fine, including the following 3 sources; however front hdmi input presented a black screen with fireTV litedirect plug-in or cable input, a distorted image with android screen casting via usb-c to hdmi cable, and about 6sec of fine image with another disc player hdmi cable input then going to blank -- un/replugging cable to re-initiate handshake produces same result... again, all works as meant to when plugged in via rear hdmi... from your report, seems like i make have defective hardware, but my next test will be a system reset to see if that clears things up

20. richard3102

richard3102 New Member

update: resetting to factory defaults did not change anything

21. Hymie the Robot

Just get a hdmi switch, plug it in the back and don't worry about it. I use a Harmony hub remote with the switch and Oppo and it is smooth as butter. Oppo would probably fix it for $100 plus shipping but you could probably pick up the Harmony and the switch for about the same price and end up with additional inputs.

22. richard3102

richard3102 New Member

thanks & cheers...

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  23. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

It won't be much of a consolation to you, but I have the same problem. The front HDMI input on my 105 stopped working after a while and I even had it fixed at some point. But after some more time it stopped working again. I learned to live without it, though it's annoying. It seems to be a weak spot on this model.

HiFi Guy 008 and tmtomh like this.
  24. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

My Oppo 105 has suddenly not recognized SACDs. It shows and plays the CD layer. I’ve reset to factory default. Unplugged it and replugged it several times.

plays dvd-a 24/192 just fine. Not in the mood for Linda Ronstadt right now.

What’s going on?
    Help.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    hi_watt likes this.
  25. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Also, using the app, “no players found.”

Again and again. And the sound is not quite right.

Time to send it in?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.