OPPO BDP-105 Tidal not playing

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sacsongs, Dec 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member Thread Starter

Tidal will load on the phone app but will not play when I try to hit the arrow. Firmware shows up to date BDP10X-83-1226. I can play Tidal connecting my iPad with the app running. I didn't see anything in the settings on the desktop app to set anything for Oppo. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

My Oppo is in a two channel system with no monitor. I have to pull it out of the rack to take it upstairs to look at any settings on the unit.

Thanks in advance!

2. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

My apologies if what I ask is very obvious - are you trying to stream Tidal through your oppo with the oppo app or the Tidal app?

3. sacsongs

No problem. I am trying to stream Tidal through the Oppo with the Oppo phone app MediaControl.

4. Lukather

Lukather Forum Resident

Oppo stopped offering this, I ran into the same problem

5. sacsongs

Thanks. I thought something was wrong. I understand that the Apple TV app works.

6. drumnman2

drumnman2 Active Member

I have an Oppo 105d and just listened to Tidal last night so they haven't stopped offering it. I would try to download the Media Control app again... unless I don't understand your question. I do use an Android tablet if that could possibly be any different, doubt it.

audiomixer likes this.
  7. sacsongs

Yep that did the trick @drumnman2 ! Thanks. Now does the master versions play on the Oppo via streaming? I’m guessing not as it states in settings “to use master you must have hi-fi account.” Then Hi-Fi states “For Hi-Fi playback, you need to use Chrome or the Tidal desktop application.” Bummer

8. drumnman2

drumnman2 Active Member

I do have a hi-fi account which is $10 more per month. I get cd quality sound streaming with that but you are correct, you can't get masters (MQA) via streaming, only desktop. Plus you need the appropriate hardware to fully decode MQA. I doubt you'd hear the difference unless you have a high resolving system so don't worry about it.

9. sacsongs

Good to know. Thanks for all you help @drumnman2 !!

10. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Next time, try logging out of TIDAL then logging back in again. If your Internet provider resets the IP address of your modem (which can happen several times a month, all the devices downstream (including the OPPO) should release and then reacquire whatever connections they're logged into. Sometimes that doesn't happen properly, so a device (including an OPPO) ends up hanging onto an login that's no longer functioning. The device thinks it has a proper connection, but there's actually nothing there. Logout of TIDAL, then log back in again.

sacsongs likes this.
  11. rudym457

rudym457 Well-Known Member

i am having the same problem. Tidal works fine on my MacBook Pro but does not commence playback when i tap the arrow on the Oppo Media Manager app. on my iPhone. both Mac and Oppo are on the same Network and the same router. Oppo support could not figure this one out. they suggested that i reset the IP to manual and change both din's to 000000000000 for no.1 and din #2 to 888888888888888. did not work. rebooted the app. no luck. i live in a hotel and they said something about a second authorization? why would i need this if Tidal works fine on the Mac? thinking about just throwing in the towel and buy a Bluesound or Lumin.

12. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

The Mac and the Oppo are on the same WiFi network, ethernet network or combination?

The TIDAL app on your phone (or TIDAL itself) may be getting confused because two instances of account access are present on/from the same LAN. So what happens when you log off TIDAL on the Mac and then run the TIDAL app on your iPhone?

13. Keoma

Keoma Forum Resident

Apologies for resuscitating an old thread, but I just (finally) signed up for Tidal (after having a million issues with Qobuz on my Fiio M11 player and giving up on that service, much as I loved the quality and selection). I have an Oppo 105 as well. I have used the Media Controller app on my iPad for years without any real problems, mainly to play music from attached USB drives. I finally tried the Tidal option built-into the Oppo Media Controller app, and while I was able to sign in without a hitch... same issues as the OP. I hit "play" and... nothing.

A shame, because I LOVE the way the interface looks on the ipad!

Any help would be appreciated!

14. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

You have an orphaned piece of hardware. The TIDAL functionality built into the Oppo 105 was not some casual thing that Oppo did on its own. Far from it, the TIDAL functionality was licensed by Oppo from TIDAL. The licensing must be renewed, or the functionality ceases. The Oppo 105 is orphaned because Oppo got out of the hardware player business and the TIDAL license is no longer being paid so the firmware ID no longer works for the Oppo 105. Buy a different streamer - e.g., a Bluesound Node2i - and connect its digital output (from TIDAL) to the excellent DAC in the Oppo 105. It will sound wonderful.

15. Keoma

Keoma Forum Resident

Thank you so much! That makes sense, and I had no idea. I am glad it's not something else. I was going crazy trying to figure it out... Looks like I will have to resort to the MconnectHD third-party app to use Tidal through the Oppo, since I really do not want to purchase yet another piece of equipment. Thanks for clarifying this for me!

16. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

That’s my assumption. I know at least two other Oppo 105D owners in Toronto who’ve had the same problem. First thing to do (if you haven’t already tried it) before giving up is to log off TIDAL in the Oppo app, kill the app, then shut off the 105, wait a minute, turn the 105 back on, launch the app again and log in to TIDAL.

fluffskul likes this.
  17. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Keoma,

You can connect a computer via USB to your Oppo 105 and use the TIDAL desktop app to get hi-res streaming working. No idea whether there is a remote control option (via phone or tablet) as my control computer is in my listening room next to my seat.

18. Keoma

Keoma Forum Resident

Yes, I did try that (multiple times). No luck, I'm afraid.

19. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

But if that is the case, why does Tidal still work on my 105?

fluffskul likes this.
  20. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Because @Keoma has a different issue? Like I said in a follow-up post to him, it was just an assumption. So I also suggested a logoff and re-login. That didn’t work. Perhaps now he can try rebooting his router? Maybe he has to reboot his iPad or whatever he’s using to run the Oppo app?

21. Keoma

Keoma Forum Resident

Perhaps folks who have used Tidal on the Oppo for years are still able to do so, but new accounts (those created *after* Oppo *supposedly* stopped paying the license fee to Tidal) have no playback privileges? Can somebody else check on this? The folks who where having the same issue in Toronto, were they new users?

22. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I tested my Oppo out this morning and it worked fine. Not sure why but am not complaining.

23. Keoma

Keoma Forum Resident

Did you have Tidal access prior to Oppo stopped making the players?

24. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I was a late boarder to the Tidal train and don’t recall if this was before or after they ceased making the 20x series.

25. Keoma

Keoma Forum Resident

So you have the 205? I have the 105. That is the model with the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.