OPPO BDP-105 Tidal not playing

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sacsongs, Dec 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I have the 103. They didn't include streaming in the 20x series. I only mentioned it as a frame of reference as to when I started subscribing to Tidal.

2. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

The 20x series doesn’t have apps, does it?

3. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

IIRC, TIDAL was not included in the firmware for the 203 and 205 which were the two models current when Oppo got out of the business. So anyone with those more recent versions of the machines was sending output from some external TIDAL renderer to the Oppo DAC. There’s every reason that should continue to work as well as ever. The 203 and 205 contain superb DAC implementations, but the 205 is truly excellent. The 105/105D also remains very good AFAIC.

I followed up yesterday with one of the Toronto users that had a problem. The issue with his 105D was related to firmware - he had not updated it since the initial TIDAL release.

I do not know whether any sorts of cumulative changes to the TIDAL API will eventually cause hardware players (i.e., their firmware) that have been orphaned to stop working.

4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

My 103 still accesses Tidal...sort off.
    I have problems with the play/pause button responding and having Tidal show up on the source page. I exit Media Control & it recognizes Tidal. I deleted the app & reinstalled it with no change. Over this past year, I started running Tidal desktop version through my home system to access the MQA files, so I’m fine. But it is handy to use the phone app to control Tidal from the couch.

5. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Oppo is not updating the control app for smartphones and tablets. As iOS and Android continue to be updated, sooner or later the Oppo controls apps will break.

6. oolalajp

oolalajp Active Member

Oppo 105 owner and Tidal user here...been using both for about 4 years...was just listening to Tidal through the 105 yesterday or the day before...now i can't login to Tidal through the Media Control app...this is maddening...what are my other options because i still want to stream Tidal through the Oppo...suggestions? options? so disappointed...

7. Kristofa

Trial run Roon. Sorry, dude, but this is a great combo.

8. oolalajp

oolalajp Active Member

thanks for the roon suggestion...though i'm not sure to which combo you are referring.

if i get a subscription to roon, can i stream tidal through the roon app on my iPhone over the network through the oppo?

and thank you for the 411!

9. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Log out of TIDAL on your computer or phone or tablet or whatever other device is logged in. Logout in the Oppo app, then log back in again.

10. oolalajp

oolalajp Active Member

thanks for the suggestion, but i'm not logged in. it's asking me to log in and when i do i get an error that reads, "Login Invalid token / OK". i've updated, unplugged, reset, and burned incense.

when i choose the option "forgot your password" and then choose "reset password", i get an error that reads, "Login Operation failed. / OK".

:-(

11. Kristofa

Tidal runs through Roon and works with my 205 so thought the 105 would be a Roon endpoint as well. Check out Roon cia their website to see if it makes sense (aka would work in your setup). Sorry if it doesn’t work so well.

12. Keoma

Keoma Forum Resident

I had a similar problem. The solution in my case was to use a third-party app on my tablet: MConnect Player HD. It's about $7 and works with IOS. I use it on my iPad and it allows me to interface with the Oppo 105 and access my Tidal and Qobuz accounts. The interface is not the best, but it works and sounds phenomenal. Best $7 I've ever spent.

oolalajp likes this.
  13. oolalajp

oolalajp Active Member

YOU are a hero!!! I downloaded the free version and it works seamlessly. THANK YOU!!!

14. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

I'd say that the defunct Oppo operation is no longer paying for its TIDAL license, so some recent update to TIDAL has broken compatibility with the 105. Glad to hear a third-party fix solved the problem.

15. Keoma

Keoma Forum Resident

Glad I can help! But by all means, spend the $6.99 and get the HD version! It sounds great on the Oppo. I do not think the free version can do hi-res.

oolalajp likes this.
  16. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

I have a 105D . Unable to connect to Tidal. I downloaded the Mconnect app. I can’t find a way to get it to interfaced with my Oppo.
    Can anyone give me exact steps to take to make this happen .
    The Apple media app will not work anymore and I get the same invalid notes that everybody else is getting .

17. robpearson

robpearson Active Member

I had this issue as well, i discovered if i enter my ip manually i can connect to my Oppo 105D just fine.

18. oolalajp

oolalajp Active Member

not sure how it will work for you, but once i downloaded and installed the app, on the bottom right side of my screen is an icon that says "play to". when i touch that, i have the option to choose the oppo. the whole process from dl to music only took about 45 seconds. i have an iPhone6s running on the latest OS.

19. grill

grill Forum Resident

Keoma, you're KING! You've saved my Tidal Hifi subscription because I only listen to music from Tidal exclusively on my Oppo 105d. I'm pretty sure the free mconnect Player Lite supports audio at least up to a 16/44.1 resolution according to the comparison table shown in their website and the display of my phone.
    [​IMG]

20. grill

grill Forum Resident

Seems Oppo've sorted out the issue because Tidal streaming's been back to normal using my Oppo app.

oolalajp likes this.
  21. audiomixer

That's good to hear. Now my Oppo 103 is not recognizing Tidal. :sigh:

22. grill

grill Forum Resident

Try to logout and login back, this or changing the password of your Tidal account might help.

23. audiomixer

I'll try that. :righton:

24. oolalajp

oolalajp Active Member

i previously posted, being unable to login to tidal through the oppo media control app, which prevented me from listening to tidal through my oppo.

i downloaded and installed the mconnect and all worked beautifully.

i also reached out to tidal support. they replied that i should uninstall and reinstall the oppo app, which i'd already done to no avail.

but i figured why not since they took the time to write back. i deleted and reinstalled the app....and....presto, i can now login to tidal through the oppo media control app.

go figure.

audiomixer likes this.
  25. audiomixer

That also worked for me. But I keep getting nothing showing up on the Source page. So I loaded a CD and, only then, did the Tidal app reappear. I rarely run Tidal now through the Oppo since I got the desktop app and am running it directly from my mod to my preamp. Plus, the Oppo app doesn’t do any new updates. New music, but no Mix or playlists that keep getting updated on the Tidal desktop app.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.