Oracle Turntables?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gary, Oct 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

Always on the hunt for interesting, used, cheap TT's (because of my budget!), for some reason I have come across four of these beauties.

Ranging from $500.00 for the Alexandria to $3,000.00 for a 4.5 (a three upgraded to a 4.5 - just missing the upgraded platter mat), I realized that I am getting into the brand new VPI Scout range.

I was told to go for the Alexandria as anything more "exotic" are finicky and you have to lots of adjustments all the time. But I'd think there would be a sound difference - true?

I know - I should listen and decide. But the VPI's just arrived at the store and are not set up yet. Two of the Oracles are not plugged into anything - and one needs a cartridge.

So, generally speaking, does anyone have any comments about this brand?

Thanks for all your help!

PS: I passed up a mint condition Transcriptor once. I was short on cash and passed it up without listening to it. Why torture myself? It was a tad pricey - $1,000.00. Oh well....

Out of curiosity, any comments or views on the Transcriptor?

2. JakeLA

JakeLA Senior Member

Transcriptors

For what it's worth, I've been told by a local TT guru (who really knows his stuff) that the Transcriptors, while incredibly cool-looking, aren't anything special soundwise, especially when compared with current high-end tables. I would snap one up if I could get it cheaply enough as a conversation piece, but those kind of Made-In-England-Once-Upon-a-Time tables are sort of the equivalent of buying an old Austin Healy or something -- fun, but a lot of work to maintain.

3. Gary

Thanks for the quick Transcriptor response, Jake! One less thing ("missed opportunity") to kick myself about. ;)

I love vintage Austin Healys, Mini's, Triumphs, Jags, etc. and I'd buy one if I was a mechanic! They just were not made for our long distance driving adventures in the New World!

Thanks again!

4. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Well I have a fine Oracle Delphi TT from Canadashire (amongst others :) ) and am very happy - not the ultimate but not chopped liver. Armboards are available for a huge range of tonearms which is great if you are a tinkerer :) The deck does need a bit of adjustment from time to time but it's no great shakes - One embarassing moment happened a couple of months back when i had a friend round and we were listening to CeeDee when one of the towers on the Oracle just collapsed for no reason (major bummer). They have had a good history of offering upgrades to keep the deck "competitive" which is also a plus.

Agree that the Transcriptors are a labo(u)r of love - check out their site at www.transcriptors.co.uk - the deck sure did look good in Clockwork Orange

All the best - Andrew

5. Gary

Aashton, do you prefer the Linn over the Oracle - or the other way around?

I guess my main concern would be to make sure it's better than my Ariston or I'd be wasting my money!

6. aashton

For me it's the Oracle over the Linn - but when my Graham arm comes back then it will be the Clearaudio (unless I buy something else ;) )

Do you have a tonearm that would fit on the Linn - if so and you have some way of dealing with the voltage difference then I could send ya the Linn on "long term loan" ;) so you can make any future purchasing decisions based on listening.

All the best - Andrew

7. mandrake

mandrake New Member

Me too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. aashton

In my yoof I used to work with the company that made these

All the best - Andrew

Attached Files:

9. mandrake

mandrake New Member

:righton: :cool:

I was able to see and examine a Lynx-built D-type at a car show and I thought it a wonderful piece of kit. Already a classic in its own right.:)

http://www.lynxmotors.co.uk/dtype.htm

10. Gary

Mandrake and Aashton those cars are fantastic! :righton: (Where is the "drool" icon??) I used to know someone (an Air Canada mechanic) who retored Jaguars!

Mandrake, are those YOUR cars??? Trade you a north american sh*tbox for the Jag? ;)

Thanks for the pictures! The Jag is now my wallpaper!

11. freeflyt

freeflyt Active Member

My last table was a Oracle Alexandria, and I never could get it to sound worth a damn! And Oracle customer support was non-existent at the time.

The really sad part was that I sold off a very good Yamaha YPA-1000 table to get the Alexandria, and the Yamaha sounded way better. This experience is what finally caused me to throw in the towel on Vinyl. Yes, when right vinyls systems can sound great, but they are way too:
    finicky
    subject to wear
    limited in application and availability
    limited in software supply, with diminishing quality

I decided I'd rather put all my attention and resources into the CD format, so I could better concentrate on the enjoying the music whenever and wherever I chose.

Just my .02.

Steve
    I still have some vinyl left, if anyone is interested, drop me a line.

12. mandrake

mandrake New Member

Gary,

I wish they were mine! I have drove a couple of Jaguars (E-type Series 3 and an XJ6), but I don't have one of my own (maybe one day..;) )

I do have a friend who restores old Land Rovers. He's currently driving round in a Series IIA:

Attached Files:

13. mandrake

mandrake New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.