ORB DF-01iA record flattener - Help*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stereolove, Sep 12, 2019.

1. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Thanks - I'll try that and do another run on Low heat first.

Interestingly, the other LP (as its a double LP album) which had a slightly worse warp, flattened perfectly on the first try on the low setting. The only difference, is that the second LP sat in the unit for several more hours during the cooling process - I wonder if that made the difference...

Vinyl Archaeologist likes this.
  2. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Just to provide an update folks, I just played back the LP which was flattened successfully but unfortunately, the LP seems to be ruined. :realmad:

I am not sure why it would have happened as I used the most conservative 'Low' setting but when playing back, the tonearm is moving excessively back and forth as if the record is way off center which its not, and I can hear a lot of surface noise in the quiet passages. This particular LP was a 180g clear vinyl - any ideas what has gone wrong here as I am now not comfortable using the Orb.

Just to add, I didn't use any of the adapters, as this LP seems to have the groove guard and is not totally flat where I would need to use the adapter. Should I use the adapter regardless in keeping things extra safe?

Totally confused and disheartened here...

Cheers,
    Vin.

3. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident

Clear vinyl might noy work well in an Orb

4. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Certainly seems that way - Has anyone had any experience with Clear or colored vinyl? I would have thought running the unit on low would be fine for the more sensitive LP's such as these...??

5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I had that experience with the Vinyl Flat and was never successful no matter which rules I followed in flattening a playable record. I gave up and sold it at a major loss; no regrets.

Hopefully, you'll have better luck with this much more expensive unit.

6. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Thanks. I did the same only I thought the ORB would be a lot more reliable and successful in its use... :confused:

7. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident

I feel like there is something I've read about not using colored vinyl in an Orb. Can't remember where. I have had an Orb for a couple years. I've noticed two things - either the warp goes away and the lp is perfect or the warp is just unflattenable no matter how many times you try. I never tried a picture disc or colored album because of what I remember hearing/reading about potential melting.

8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Black vinyl is colored.

9. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Thanks - Just a shame they don't tell you this in the instructions so you know what LPs to stay away from using the Orb....

10. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

Colored vinyl has a lower melting point. I suggest starting at 30 min and then stepping up in 15 min increments for colored vinyl or dynaflex type vinyl. No need to be disheartened- there is a learning curve. Ps I hope the vinyl wasn’t too valuable.

11. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Thanks for the advice and the only positive, is that thankfully it was not a valuable LP although brand new.

I will bear the above in mind for the next colored/clear vinyl and presumably, I should use the Low heat correct?

Do you use the medium heat for the black regular vinyl? It seems from the few user operational videos seen on this product, people seem to get great results on medium heat for the full 2 hours heating and 2 hours cooling. Having seen what the Orb did to my clear vinyl on a lower setting, I am just questioning things here as I am super skeptical right now. Any additional pointers would be appreciated but this is not the simple plug and play solution I thought I was going to get here - it’s starting to remind me of my sold vinyl flat :cry:

12. Vinyl Archaeologist

once you figure it out it’s amazing. I always use low unless that doesn’t work. Then I’ll step up to medium. The difference to a vinyl flat is you get exact reproducible heat.

13. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Thanks. I didn't realize there was a 'figuring it out' involvement with this having used the Vinyl Flat. I just assumed you put the LP in, selected the LP size and most suitable heating option, come back after 4 hours and life is good.

I just reached out to the dealer having explained the issue and the comment with the tonearm moving back and forth so much especially around the outer area of the LP, and he suggested that this is more due to an off center pressed LP. I agree that would normally be the case, but I did not see that before I flattened the LP with the Orb. I was simply told to return the unit for a refund, which was not my intention in reaching out but merely seeking some support/advice. I'll see what the dealer comes back with next but certainly expected a little more guidance/help in my situation...

14. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident

Is the dealer Mockingbird audio? He sold me my orb!

15. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Yes it is - I was able to get a demo (low hours) + version with the adapters with full warranty.

16. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Just to add everyone, if I can feel the outer edge of the LP is very slightly raised, then that LP would have the 'Groove Guard' correct and therefore, I should not have to use any of the adapters? Just making sure I am understanding this correctly and not causing any damage due to user error! :eek:

If anyone has a picture they can kindly share to show the groove guard of your own LP, I would really appreciate it!! :righton:

17. Vinyl Archaeologist

There is nothing wrong with your unit.

There is no absolute one size fits all solution for flattening records because there are so many different weights.

What you describe is exactly what happens when the record has seen too much heat. Maybe this machine is not for you but the information is all here in this thread. if you aren’t interested in the unit one of my friends is looking to buy please dm if you return it or would want to sell.

18. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Thanks for the feedback and yes, I would agree that there is probably nothing wrong with my unit. I just had what would appear to be unrealistic expectations in the simplicity of its usage in achieving perfect end results with every use.

I am going to try a regular LP next and see how that behaves again going with the lowest heat - I don't have any major warps, so I would suspect I may never need the medium heat let alone the high option. Hopefully, I will see better results with other vinyl types otherwise, I will either return or sell and just live with slightly warped LPs which I will address via the periphery ring on my turntable.

19. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Anyone have and advice on the above?

Just wondering if I should use the Orb adapters regardless of groove guard on the LP or not. Seems most LPs have a very slight raised edge and center label to them which I assume would not require the adapter from Orb. I am very tempted to get the Vinyl Flat felt pads and use those just to offer some additional protection as some of you have used to good effect. I am a little nervous using the Orb again until I have a better game plan going forward - maybe it was bad luck on my first one but I would appreciate any additional support/guidance before I take again… Thanks in advance….

20. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident

When I bought by orb, the vendor daid I should skip the adapters and sold me the vinyl flad pads. I am curious about the adaptors. I can't seem to figure out when they would be used. I don't have the eye to spot groove guard.

21. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

They would be used for LPs that don't have the groove guard - so would be used on LP's that are perfectly flat at the end and center label. I tried to flatten an LP that had the slight raised edge and center label, so I did not use the adapters. However, I still managed to ruin the LP's which was probably due to overheating and not because I didn't use the adapters. BUT, maybe I should have used the adapters which may have prevented the issue - this is what I am trying to confirm with the dealer - just not sure at this point and I may just end up getting the Vinyl Flat felt pads and use them regardless of the LP having the groove guard or not to be extra safe...

22. Ted Lessler

Ted Lessler New Member

Could a regular groove guard record that you a willing to sacrifice be a substitute for the ORB adapter or groovy rings?

23. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

I can't see how. You would need to sandwich the flattened record between two sacrificial records to protect both sides. I don't think you could properly close the flattener with two, let alone three records. Also, the sacrificial records would insulate the flattened record from the heated plates and I doubt much flattening would take place, even if you could physically fit it all in there.

24. Vinyl Archaeologist

Except for 50s jazz record
    just set a timer to end the cycle early for colored or thin vinyl. It’s blindingly simple. The adaptors are only needed for 50’s jazz records.

25. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

Also a few recent reissues, notably the Pink Floyd and King Crimson reissues and also a few older Classic Records 200g releases. Vast majority, if not all, '60-'80 records have groove guards.