ORB DF-01iA record flattener - Help*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stereolove, Sep 12, 2019.

1. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

I don't use my Orb DF01 that often - just occasionally when I need to flatten an LP that is slightly warped with great results I must say. So far so good with no issues. I was never able to get good results with the Groovy Pouch and Vinyl Flat - So I bit the bullet and went with the Orb which has been great. Its solidly built and Japanese made - enough said...! ;)

Mine only came with a standard 1 year warranty - where did you see the 2 year?

Plinko likes this.
  2. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

If you are flattening records daily the orb will change your life.

3. Cordio

Cordio New Member

I saw 2 year warranty on a internet advert. A 1 year warranty is concerning as I think whatever appliance I buy will get worked to death either in or out of a warranty period. The cost difference in appliances could pay for a power supply for my phono stage and have nearly a grand spare. I think I'm typing my way into a decision :cool:

4. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

Not to sway your decision, but I have been looking at the ORB for a year and just could not get past the investment price. I also did not like the "manual" method of the Groovy Puouch. So when I saw this thread pop up, I took a chance since it was on sale ($75 less).
    It just came and I have yet to test it (maybe this weekend).

GungaLagunga likes this.
  5. GungaLagunga

GungaLagunga c̶r̶u̶n̶c̶h̶ lunch time

I'd love to go in on one with like 3 trusted others, and pass it around. My collection has a few bad warps, but is also a modest size of approx 600.

If somebody owns, and is well experienced, I'd be happy to pay you for a handful or two of warped LPs! DM me.

6. Cordio

Cordio New Member

Yes I remember thinking this in 2019 when deciding whether to get a vinyl flat or Orb. I think I'm persuading myself to get another pouch and spend a £1000 on records to be flattened.

Swann36 likes this.
  7. Cordio

Cordio New Member

I used Analogue Seduction and their flattening service in 2018. Have not used it since.

8. Vinyl Archaeologist

DM me if there is something you really want flat. Some warps are easier than others but I can tell from a picture.

TD124 likes this.
  9. glamorbowie1

glamorbowie1 Forum Resident

Hi, seems to be a problem with stock, at least in the UK. Anyone else had any issues trying to source this unit in the UK?

10. glamorbowie1

glamorbowie1 Forum Resident

Hi All, my Orb arrived last week and been using it once a day and was having good results with it but last couple of discs have been sticking to the under side plate. Anyone else have this problem? They do 'peel' off and seem un damaged. Obviously it may be that the bottom glass needs cleaning. I had just been using a micro fibre cloth to gently wipe down before every use. Is this common to other users or something that i should eliminate via better cleaning of the glass plate? Many thanks in advance.

PS. i should add that i have been using medium heat full cycle 2 hours and then longer than 2 hours cooling. 1st disc was Steely Dan PL (UK) and 2nd was disc 1 of Stevie Wonder SITKOL (UK) so both pressed by EMI 1974 / 1976 - could it be EMI mid-late 70s vinyl formulation?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2023
  11. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I was considering at one point. But I get so few warped LP’s now. Well, if they are then they’re so minor that they either seem to flatten or my Michell Orbe clamp sorts it out.

12. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I use one of the original DF-01 Disc Flatteners from 2005. It is branded 'Air Tight' but all of these machines are Orb Japan creations. I have experienced an occasional record becoming attached to the upper plate on my unit. This is noticeable when I open the unit after a cycle has finished. The record seems to become momentarily attached to the upper plate but then 'falls free' to the lower plate. It doesn't cause any damage to the playing surface at all, thankfully. It's only occasional in my case. I assumed that maybe the composition of the paper label on the disc might cause this, but I haven't given it a whole lot of thought to be honest. It just a very occasional occurrence in my case. The last disc it happened with was just last week. It was a Japanese copy of RY COODER 'Bop Till You Drop' pressed by Warner Pioneer Japan. I have another Japan copy bought way back when it first came out. The second copy is an astonishingly thin disc, less that 120 grams in my estimation, and it has a 'pinch' warp on Side 2. I must keep tabs on this in future to determine if it has anything to do with the weight of the particular record. The 'pinch' is gradually improving but it will need repeat cycles to eliminate it.

13. gglendon

gglendon New Member

Hey, I have a ORB DF-01iA+ and have never had a sticking problem. I have flattened abuot 100 records so far. I'm interested in how you do a longer cooling cycle. My machine does not give me the option to do anything other than a 2 hour heat followed by a 2 hour cool at 3 different temp settings. However, I do let the album sit in the machine for at least another hour before removing it. I get less return of the original warp that way.

14. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

The machine does not have active cooling, only heating elements. For a longer cooling cycle continue to do what you describe - leave the record in the machine for as long as you like.

15. gglendon

gglendon New Member

Gotcha. That is what I do as well. Only an extra hour though unless I have it running overnight.

I have only ruined 2 records in the early days trying to develop a standard of procedures for myself since the manual is minimal. It was with very thin vinyl (110 gms) from the early 80's and using the Medium setting. The disc flattened but both had a deviation in the horizontal plane. So the tonearm would move out then in laterally while playing. This deviation was over about 25% of the records circumference and lessened as you moved into the record. A tiny bit of this would have been acceptable but I over did it to see what the limitations of the process was. Have you had any similar artifacts?

Cheers

16. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

It sounds like what you’re describing is an eccentric or off-center cut. I do not believe the machine is intended to correct those in any way…

I mostly only run a standard cycle on low, which works 95%+. If that does not work I will run a 2nd or 3rd time, which has corrected nearly everything without any deleterious effects. I have never intentionally used medium heat. I’ve probably flattened a few hundred records at this point.

WDeranged likes this.
  17. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I have noticed what you describe, but my take is somewhat different. I don't think it has anything to do with the correct use of the Disc Flattening units? It is like an off centre issue where the cartridge moves out quite suddenly and then in again almost immediately. It's quite a violent and sudden movement, if I can describe it like that. This however is how the record has been pressed and pre-exists any effort to flatten it. If you try to flatten such a disc it will exacerbate whatever the pressing fault is and will exaggerate the in an out movement. I have noticed this 'fault' with U.S. Capitol record pressings from back in the original vinyl era and specifically on Warner Group labels' product pressed under Contract by Capitol. I haven't seen it on any other records, only U.S. Capitol pressed ones. In fact, some years ago I brought it up on another thread here, but nobody seemed to know what the fault is specifically, other than to suggest an 'off centre' issue. Most all 'off centre' issues can be fixed, but not this one.

More recently, I had a WB reissue of Bonnie Raitt's 'Streetlights' album which had that exact issue. I couldn't fix it even though I frequently fix records that do not rotate concentrically, very successfully. If we are on the same page here, I think it is a pressing fault. Of course, if you apply too much heat to any record, it will also go out of shape in the manner you mention. My DF-01 unit is from 2005 and does not give choices as to what level of heat to apply. The heat is about 57 degrees Fahrenheit which is fairly modest. It doesn't cause any damage. I have a DF-03 Orb model (2016) which I don't use very often. It has ruined a number of records on me, but nothing that was rare or irreplaceable. It doesn't treat 120gram pressings or lower too kindly either and has a problem with records that do not have a 'groove guard'. I don't trust it. I trust the 2005 DF-01 with everything.

18. Vinyl Archaeologist

Too much heat will deform the grooves/concentric it’s causing sideways tracking errors. Also this happens when flattening a severe bump warp.

19. drmoss_ca

drmoss_ca Vinyl Cleaning Fiend

An old thread, but relevant. The distributor listed at: ORB co.Ltd. WEBSITE for Canada does not carry them any more. I have an enquiry into Mockingbird as they still list them. There are lots available on eBay.ca, but all say they are 100v and "an adaptor may be needed." I assume that 110v will be fine, but before jumping on one has anyone used one successfully with 110v even when the unit claims to be a Japanese 100v version?

20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Japan, USA, and Canada all use the same electrical current types so my guess is that it's a typo. No adapter should be needed at all but one would be needed if in Europe.

21. drmoss_ca

Well, Canada is officially 120v and Japan 100v. I guess the question is whether 120v will damage the "semiconductor heating films" that are made for 100v?

22. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I stand corrected. Thanks for that. It's a good question but if no adapter came for the ones US members own, I doubt one will come for the units shipped to Canada.

23. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I have bought directly from ORB Japan. It was a DF-03 model in 2016, equipped for European use in terms of voltage etc. Before the COVID pandemic, I had an order for an ORB DF-01iA+ in place. I even got a Invoice from Japan. Almost concurrently, the COVID situation entered the equation and everything went askew. I wanted a unit that could flatten all types of vinyl, viz. 12", 10" and 7". I never did 'revive' the order after the pandemic waned. Shipping costs spiralled during the pandemic too. If you have no distributor/supplier in Canada, ORB Japan would assist with shipping a unit to you. My transaction was seamless and everything arrived in top condition. These units are well worth the money if you have a sizeable vinyl investment/collection. So many records arrive warped or with some level of undulation. If I recall correctly, the price of the ORB DF-01iA+ in the U.S.A. was really good at about $1200 or so?

24. drmoss_ca

I have sent an e-mail to [email protected] to ask if they will sell directly, or if their 100v models are safe on north American 120v supplies. I'll update this if I hear back.

neubian and Strat-Mangler like this.
  25. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

Just found that Invoice now from 16 Oct 2020. I was quoted 130,000 plus Y16,000 shipping. My purchase would have been subject to VAT and possible Customs duties on importation to Ireland. Based on today's exchange rate, it would still have worked out quite well in terms of affordability. Good luck!