Organizing record collection: when do you start separating out a genre?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

In the past I've separated into various genres such as rock & pop, country, R&B, folk, blues, world, spoken word and jazz, but recently I've been reorganizing and just separating jazz and spoken from everything else. Various artists compilations and soundtracks follow "everything else."

2. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Blues
    Jazz
    Everything else

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'll second this.

Double E likes this.
  4. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Just classical for the reasons you state. I put soundtracks without a primary artist in with other various artist compilations.

5. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

Classical
    Contemporary Pop (2001-Current)
    Instrumental - Non Jazz, Non Classical
    Jazz - Large Group incl Big Band
    Jazz - Small Group
    Vocal - Female
    Vocal - Male
    Vocal Group
    Soundtrack
    Frank Sinatra
    Nat Cole

6. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

All of my CDs are in 20 big binders along with the booklets and inserts. My genre separations are very simplistic: Folk, Rock, Prog, Jazz, Classical. Soundtracks and comedy stuff are in the Jazz binder. Everything is alpha and chrono.
    I place solo albums after the main band.
    However I do make things more interesting by grouping related bands/artists. For example:
    The Hollies - Buffalo Springfield - The Byrds - CSN&Y - Poco - Richie Furay - Graham Nash - Stephen Stills - Neil Young
    Works for me and I always know where everything is. Did the same thing when all I had was LPs.

7. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

No genres, my collection is straight alphabetical by artist, then soundtracks alphabetical by movie or show, then label retrospectives alphabetical by label, then various artist compilations alphabetical by title. But just to keep things interesting, I also group side-projects and related artists along with the primary artist. For example, Funkadelic, George Clinton, Bootsty Collins, Parlet, etc. all are shelved with Parliament; The Time, Sheila E, Vanity 6, etc. are all shelved with Prince; Method Man, Raekwon, GZA are in the W’s with the rest of the Wu Tang Clan. It makes sense in my head…

8. Professor Batty

Professor Batty Forum Resident

I've got a separate section for my Icelandic music (sorted alphabetically by FIRST name, as is the Icelandic custom) and have a separate portable rack for my Exotica (It shuttles between the garage and my basement systems.). Everything else is lumped together in the usual alphabetic way.

9. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Alt-country (and, unfortunately, once tagged as such (i.e. Wilco) their albums stay under that flag. Even if a particular album doesn’t fit the genre anymore).
    Jazz
    Main Rock/Blues
    —then, even though I don’t have many:
    Soundtracks
    Classical
    Christmas

frightwigwam likes this.
  10. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Jazz, classical, and soundtracks get split out. All other record albums are filed by artist.

Adam9 and frightwigwam like this.
  11. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I shelf "classical," jazz/big band/swing, Christmas/Halloween, world/ethnic, soundtracks/cast albums/TV themes all separately.

Everything else is "popular" music.

VA comps go at the tail end of the appropriate genre.

frightwigwam and danasgoodstuff like this.
  12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

On my lifetime, it all came down to how to put the most amount of the same records into the same shelf, so I would have a reason to set the rest out (such as "mainstream" vs. "classical". And of course, the further I went, the more I had to re-think it.

At last incarnation before I started putting them in storage I was up to putting pop, rock, jazz, country and oldies in the main shelves I'd built right after college...and then boxes out of the way for Christmas music, soundtracks, spoken/novelty (I was in radio, I had a lot of those that overfilled the box), radio shows, radio production records and sfx stuff in another box, box sets in yet another box (ironic, I know...) and eventually, classical and modern "serious" music, synth and electronic in another box.

Yet still I ended up with stupid little irritations, such as half the Mancini's on the top shelf, and the other half way over on the other side, starting the second shelf...the Zappa's on a completely different shelf (because that was easier than splitting up half the Zappas and putting them with the rest of the Z's).

As for the CD's, I now have four different places to put those...and the ones I use the least, are in two or three places here in this office. But at least they're not getting in the way of the "main" collection. :shrug:

Once you make a plan or a policy, the only constant...is, that you continue to re-think it.

13. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Blues, jazz, VA, artist tributes & genre tributes, Memphibian CDs have their own place, Art Pepper and Miles Davis and James Brown all have their own spaces on CD but not on LP; it's all space driven.

14. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I broke out certain artists, companies and genres once they got large enough so that it was easier to find things when I was in a certain mood. Currently they are:

Heavy Metal
    Soul
    Soundtracks
    Compilations
    WB Loss Leaders
    Waxwork
    MOFI
    MOV
    The Jacksons
    Jazz
    Acoustic Sound Series
    Tone Poet
    Blue Note Classics
    Blue Note 80
    Holiday
    Light in the Attic
    Stones and solo
    Beatles and solo
    The Who
    Pink Floyd
    Queen
    Kiss
    Intervention
    Autographed
    Third Man Vault

Everything else is A-Z with certain artists getting there own tab such as Bowie, The Cure, T. Rex etc...

15. Emil Zatopek

Emil Zatopek Forum Resident

Alphabetical order for everything, first name. It gets tricky for classical (credit the composer) and even trickier for soundtracks (Michel Legrand's ost go to M. But Hair goes to H).

16. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Alphabetical by artist or composer (classical) or by movie name (soundtracks)
    Organized by genre's, jazz, jazz vocals, rock, soul, world (including reggae), soundtracks, classical, country/folk, blues, electronica, 12 inch 45's,

17. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Various Artist compilations, that's it.
    Everything else is together.

18. andy obrien

andy obrien Forum Resident

I'm sure the way Ive organised my collection is influenced by the layouts of record shops I would frequent when younger (still do, obviously, but my habits were formed decades ago). 60s, 70s ROCK. 80s ROCK/POP. JAZZ. INDIE. NEW AGE/AMBIENT. Etc. 12 inch singles have their own shelves, split into 80s, 90s etc.

At the moment I'm in a quandary as Ive just purchased my first Zappa lp, Hot Rats, because of the Beefheart connection and WANT to place it in the Beefheart section, but have a terrible feeling it belongs under 'Z' at the end of 60s, 70s ROCK. Perhaps the very definition of a 1st world problem?

19. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

Beatles, solo Beatles, everything else.

20. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

I only separate out genres if they don't fit into my alphabetical-by-artist organizational scheme.

The only genres I currently separate out are classical (organized by composer rather than performer), soundtracks & cast albums (organized by title), and multiple-artist compilations (also organized by title). Oh, and my Disney theme park CDs get their own section, since they don't really fit into any other category. I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 13,000 CDs and it this system works quite well for me.

21. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

I separate out:
    Compilations
    Soundtracks (Which are further separated into scores by a single composer, various artist soundtracks, and Italian soundtracks)
    Library music
    Holiday
    Comedy
    Classical (by composer, by performer, or various)
    Spoken word / esoterica

Everything else is alpha by artist.

Then there's my wife's thousands of folk LPs and CDs that are organized geographically in a system only she understands.

22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Classical. (Random - small number)
    Jazz. (by series e.g Tone Poet)
    Blues.
    Compilations.
    Female Vocals (solo) because I have a lot. (alphabetical)
    General Rock/Popular. (alphabetical)

23. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

I tend to separate artists if I get a lot of CDs by that artist,
    Elvis Presley
    Beach Boys
    Bach
    Zappa
    Beatles
    Who
    Richard Thompson
    Frank

By Genre
    Rock
    Classical
    Folk
    Blues
    Comedy
    Soundtrack

24. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

This.
    I’ve got 5000+ lps with so much blurring of genre boundaries it’s best to keep it simple.
    And then of course alphabetical by artist and chronological for those artists’ collection.

25. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

It all goes A-Z. If I can’t remember the artist then I guess they never really mattered :laugh:

wdiv likes this.