Original Beatles tracks on feature film soundtracks

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by gottenbold, Feb 22, 2023.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Doing fine. Gray and cold in WA. Just landed back in Kansas. No gray; just cold. Hope you are well.

I am pretty sure that I first saw i Wanna Hold Your Hand on the CBS Late Movie way back when. Fun flick.

McLover, musicfan37 and longdist01 like this.
  2. keys74

keys74 Forum Resident

I would surmise that the publisher gets the bulk of the money, and the writers/artists get the rest. A cover royalty would probably go to the publisher and the writer/s. The big money in music goes to whomever owns the publishing rights.
    On a side note, Paul McCartney's publishing catalogue is vast and extremely varied. Worth looking into.

Michael likes this.
  3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I'll never forget when I saw the MPL logo at the bottom of sheet music from the musical "Annie"...
    From "Serial Mom" to "Deadpool 2", Paul gets a check!

TheAbsentMind and forthlin like this.
  4. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

Not a feature film, but for their latest TV commercial, airbnb are using "Yellow Submarine" by The Beatles. Must have paid top dollar to license that, methinks...

5. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Yet another Lew Grade / ITC show had one too: “Get Back” was featured in the UFO episode “Ordeal”.

6. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

A soundtrack album from I Wanna Hold Your Hand would have been phenomenal.

7. keys74

keys74 Forum Resident

He also owns the Wisconsin Fight Song ("On Wisconsin",) Buddy Holly's catalogue and numerous other songs you wouldn't normally associate with him.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks!

keys74 and Detroit Rock Citizen like this.
  9. With added horns that McCartney was absolutely livid about

10. The Secret life of plants documentary has an entire sequence set to Here Comes the Sun

11. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

Don Draper listens to 'Tomorrow Never Knows' - or part of it, anyway - in a fifth season Mad Men episode called 'Lady Lazarus'. The studio apparently paid $250,000 for the right to use the song in the episode.

Spaghettiows likes this.
  12. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

A Hard Days Night
    Help!
    Yellow Submarine
    Let It Be

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

cs2003, Bingo Bongo, Big Pasi and 2 others like this.
  13. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Close.....

downer likes this.
  14. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

If I recall correctly, "Something" was in the movie, "Hopscotch", with Walter Matthau.

15. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

I thought it was House Calls it was featured in. You could only he hear it on commercial-free TV (i.e. HBO, TCM) or on network TV.

TonyR likes this.
  16. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

One episode of "Doctor Who" contains a Beatles song, from an otherwise-lost UK TV performance, if I recall correctly...

- Kevin

17. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

And of course the final episode of The Monkees featured "Good Morning Good Morning"

FredV and Bingo Bongo like this.
  18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

To license a Beatles master (recorded by The Beatles):

1) License the publishing
    2) License the master recording

There are no mechanical licenses, so you need to negotiate with the owners of both of the above. Either entity can ask whatever they want, or even refuse entirely. I am not sure what the modern licensing arrangement for the master recordings is--whether that's a joint agreement with Universal and Apple, and who sets the price. The publishing for most of the Beatles catalog was owned outright by Sony/ATV, although McCartney sued for reversion and reached a private settlement that reverts his rights (for music > 56 years old) year-by-year. Lennon's rights were many-year-leased (to 2050) to Sony/ATV a number of years ago.

If you want to just use a COVER version of a Beatles song, then you only need to negotiate with Sony/ATV (for the catalog that they control) or Sony/ATV+McCartney (for the songs that McCartney has obtained reversion on). Harrison's songs are covered under separate license controlled by the Harrison estate, currently under license through BMG. The fact that the Harrison songs are controlled by a different entity means that if you are looking to license a bunch of songs, it's often easier to just exclude Harrison titles. For a movie that uses a bunch of Beatles songs, you'd negotiate a package deal.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
    keys74 likes this.
  19. FramboGND

FramboGND Givin' it all

20. There's a Doctor Who episode from 1965, I think, where the main characters get their space - time visualiser out and watch The Beatles.
    I think the footage is from Top Of The Pops.
    It's on the VHS of the episode but I think it got replaced when the DVD came out.
    Rights and all that.
    Can't remember which song it was.

21. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Well the first feature film to feature original Beatles recording that I'm aware of was Shampoo.

22. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

“House Calls”. Good film.

23. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

Garp had When I’m 64 in it.

Al Kuenster, intv7 and Pinknik like this.
  24. 80steen

80steen John McClane

25. AndyTaylor

AndyTaylor Forum Resident

Ticket to Ride.