Original Unique Vinyl Inner Sleeves

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by greelywinger, Oct 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Love em and hate em. The design can be nice but they aren't always good for the surface of the vinyl. Occasionally they're lined, but often not.

2. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Definitely some nice one's out there
    Arcadia-So Red The Rose
    [​IMG]

3. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia Thread Starter

From Eagles Live 2LP set.

[​IMG]

Darryl

Giorgio and c-eling like this.
  4. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

Inner wrecker sleeves...

[​IMG]

...and...

[​IMG]

:realmad:

Giorgio likes this.
  5. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I usually insert my vinyl into standard paper sleeves and leave the inferior printed sleeves as inserts. The printed sleeves usually split at the seams and would often get folded when inserting into the cover on any regular usage.

6. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia Thread Starter

I hate finding out that an album had a special inner sleeve l, after I bought it without one.

Darryl

ODShowtime and Giorgio like this.
  7. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

When Rocket To Russia - Ramones came out first in the UK it lacked the inner sleeve with the lyrics and John Holmstrom cartoons. However you could write away for the sleeve which they would send to you by post. It was folded down the middle but better than missing out!

8. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

That's definitely the case with some releases:

Tyrannosaurus Rex / T.Rex string of albums Unicorn, A Beard Of Stars, Electric Warrior, The Slider and Tanx all had single sleeves with a special inner sleeve/sheet in their original UK format.

In the United States each of these received a gatefold instead with Unicorn**, A Beard of Stars, The Slider and Tanx having the UK inner sleeve/sheet as the inner gatefold.

Electric Warrior's US inner was a cropped version of the UK poster, the inner sleeve content not included, whereas Tanx, in addition to the inner content also received the poster. Unicorn fared the best - it also contained a large unique poster not in the UK original.

**The inner gatefold of Unicorn was the same concept as the UK but looks very different.

But I guess you knew this ....... ;)

steviebee likes this.
  9. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Along with the actual record pages on Discogs, you can look at the listings for sale and see how many still have the inner sleeve. Inserts are interesting, too. There's one common 1970s record I always check out when I see it, which if it has one of the two inserts it originally came with moves it from a <$5 record to about a $15 one. I've never seen a copy for sale with both the inserts it originally came with, and I think if I ever find one and present it properly it would be a $50 record at least.

10. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

My bought new copy, (circa 1978/79) of the US version of the first Clash LP with the green cover, was the only copy I've ever seen with a printed lyric sheet with b/w band picture, inner.

11. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

So what common album are referring to? I was thinking Dark Side of the Moon but I think that came with 3 inserts: double sided poster and two stickers.

12. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Jackson Browne Runin On Empty special insert sleeve and booklet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

FYI: Dark Side comes with four inserts: two posters + two stickers.

ODShowtime likes this.
  14. Uncle_Lou

Uncle_Lou Forum Resident

I love the inner sleeve of Go Girl Crazy by the Dictators. A band photo taken inside of a White Castle hamburger stand.

15. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

What the hell, it’s Todd Rundgren’s “A Wizard...”. There’s a poem by future star/then unknown Patti Smith on flimsy paper that’s often lost but shows up once in a while, I’ve found and sold 3 or 4 over time. What you never see is the postcard you could send in to get your name on his next album. Apparently everybody sent it in. I sent mine in and didn’t even make the poster in the Todd album. My pal who bought the record a couple weeks before I did made it, though.

PS, DSOTM came with two posters and stickers. The UK and US posters are different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.