Orson Welles' "Citizen Kane" DVD questions

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Paul C., Jul 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member Thread Starter

Citizen Kane DVD

I have a gift voucher from Amazon.com that was given to me for my birthday, and I am considering getting the Citizen Kane 2-disc special edition DVD set - there has been no version of Citizen Kane on DVD issued in Australia. I was wondering if anyone had any views on the quality of this release.

I note that a 2-disc version of Kane is also scheduled for release in the UK soon, but it seems to have a different set of extras, and I am wondering if it will be a different print/transfer.

Aside from the Kane set, I am toying with the idea of going for the Mildred Pierce DVD, which has been well reviewed here and there, and is a classic piece of noir-ish filmmaking. Any views on that one? I also would like to get "The Shop Around the Corner", and "The Man With X-Ray Eyes" and "The First Men in the Moon", and ......

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Paul,

I don't like "Pierce" so I can't comment on that one. The DVD of "Kane" is a hell of a lot better than any thing else I've ever seen on the movie. It's not a perfect transfer; a lot of stuff was over zealously cleaned up, but it sure makes it a pleasure watching the thing!

3. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

The Kane discs are great - and I'm not the world's biggest fan of old movies. There's a documentary on the second disc contrasting Hearst and Welles which is really interesting.

4. Paul C.

Thanks - I guess similar arguments apply to digital restoration of film and audio recordings - overdoing it can create various problems, and there's an art in getting it just right. I'd like to know the story with the forthcoming UK version...

Mildred Pierce is a nasty story, and probably doesn't quite fit into the noir genre - more of a Hollywood melodrama. But I really like the visuals in it - the use of black and white in some scenes is astounding.

5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Needless to say, this was gone over with a fine-toothed-comb over at HTF--perhaps too much so.

It's true there is a bit too much of a clean-up--at least when viewed on a 'normal'(that is, non-projection or plasma or HDTV)television. The old Criterion CAV laserdisc has what some consider the proper hue and grain, although the truth is, you really had to be there in 1941 to preview that negative under optimum conditions to know what it should have looked like(which is why not even the most ardent cinephiles can agree on the color scheme of GONE WITH THE WIND!, except most believe no video version is accurate, probably also true of many Technicolor films, including THE WIZARD OF OZ).

I like the DVD a lot, though. Any misgivings are offset by the sheer thrill of the film itself, and the stark sharpness of the B&W image, and the retention of the messier aspects(the newsreel)that some have opined might have been 'spiffed up' too much. Maybe, maybe not. It all comes off very well, IMO.

The bonuses--most of all the many still photos--are also a great joy to see.
    Behind-the-scenes material, it was once said, would 'demystify' a movie and render it a lesser experience, but I've found the opposite to be true: the MORE I've learned about the films I love the most, the more intriguing and remarkable they seem to me for pulling off the illusion.

I'd go with Kane; like Steve, I'm no fan of MILDRED PIERCE, and never liked Crawford, except in her earliest days, when she hadn't yet taken on that dreaded harridan persona she rode until the end of her days(and apparently adapted in real life, if MOMMIE DEAREST has any truth to it).

ED:cool:

6. Paul C.

Thanks Ed - sounds like the US Kane set is a must have. BTW, what do you think of the Roger Ebert commentary?

Re Joan Crawford - I agree with you, she is not what I regard as an appealing character in Mildred Pierce, nor in anything else I've seen her in. Re Michael Curtiz - I haven't seen Casablance in years, and I don't have any version of it on film. The current version on DVD has been well reviewed, but i believe i read somewhere that a 2-disc special version id due out soon.... that would be tempting.

I still have to fill in other gaps in my collection - The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep - any comments on those ones?

7. Ed Bishop

Ebert's commentary is informative, but most viewers will be familiar with a lot of that info, anyway: several important books--my faves being those written by Charles Higham and Pauline Kael--pretty much told you everything essential(and much more)Ebert covers(his commentary on the DARK CITY DVD, on the other hand, is a must listen!) Having said that, he covers as much as he can well, considering there's so much going on!

THE BIG SLEEP is worth having because it has two cuts of the film: the theatrical version, and a version with previously shot inserts where the dialogue was different, and Lauren Bacall so uncomfortable it was decided to reshoot many of her sequences with Bogie--hence the delay in the film's release. One wishes for a deluxe edition with serious extras, but for the price, worth having. The original cut is still just about the best film noir detective story you could want, arguably superior to the excellent MALTESE FALCON. Unlike KANE, these prints do show their age a bit--which is not always a bad thing. They're certainly unpolished, and likely were back when first seen in theaters.

8. Steve Hoffman

Warning: Steve Rant Ahead:

The thing is, I LOVE Kane. I used to own a real RKO 35mm print but this DVD is actually better quality.

Problem is, (naturally) I can SEE the use of video noise reduction all over this thing; in the fades, in the scenes with raindrops, etc. The operator NEVER just takes some stuff out, I guess he is under orders to take EVERYTHING out, including the grain. Now, without grain, film looks just plain weird. It's nice to watch, but totally un natural. The picture is nice and clear, but they never know when to quit.

THE SADDEST THING ABOUT THE DVD OF KANE:

The video mastering engineer/No-Noise operator obviously was not a film historian. He lightened up the scene in the projection room where they are all taking about the Newsreel. It was lightened up SO MUCH that you can clearly see all of the faces, like Joseph Cotton and Alan Ladd. I know Welles didn't want that scene bright like that because my original nitrate RKO print had that scene much darker.

Sigh.

Oh well, the DVD is still great and I'm just nit picking, but why can't these people do their homework? Would it have killed them to compare their version to an actual print of the friggin' film? I mean, to change history like that might be fine for the Brady Bunch Movie, but for a film that is considered the greatest ever made? Shocking and shoddy!

(End of Buddy Rich/Casey Kassem style rant.):)

9. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Steve,

A worthy rant. People need to be made aware of this stuff.

Modern technology can be wonderful. It can also be a disaster in the wrong hands.
    The world needs ranters who know what they're talking about.

Thanks.

John

10. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Yes, I recommend the DVD also. Steve's very right to rant about the over-use of digital clean-ups, etc. Sadly, the were very over zealous removing grain. I think in one shot some of the rain was cleaned up too. Hopefully one day there will be another release which gets it a notch up but this is really great for now...

Todd

11. Ed Bishop

Love your rants, Steve:D Also very true, which I think was one of my points about the image: it's obvious a major clean-up was done, a bit too pristine, which is always a bad thing for cinema--or music(obviously).

Exactly why I keep my Criterion lasers. Having seen films at art houses in my early '20s, I came to understand a certain amount of grain is inherent to celluloid. That is what strikes me about DVD remasterings now: older films WITHOUT any significant grain, yet many other specklings and markings on the negative are often left intact.

I caught that 'lightening' of the projection room scene, but it's not the only one. In fact, some significant scenes are a bit 'overbright,' if that's the word. Makes me afraid to watch the DVD again, except to make sure I darken the image to compensate next time...

So imagine my surprise when, while viewing the Queen LIVE AT WEMBLEY DVD, there was grain on that image, and it stays there throughout! Now, this is a 1986 taping, but I'm pretty sure that was out on LD at one point, and I remember seeing the grain there, too!(a rental, I would guess; don't have a copy). The image has been improved, but the inherent limitations of the filming are apparent, too, even while the image is fairly sharp and free of color saturation.

Funny how the way DVD images are mastered can be transferred to how music is remastered these days. Spooky and depressing, too...

12. Todd Fredericks

This removal of grain gets on my nerves too. Why the heck did they have to use that method on 'Snow White'??

13. Steve Hoffman

Taking all of the dust out of the Snow White film makes my eyes want to implode just like removing tape hiss with No-Noise or CEDAR makes my ears want to implode.

14. Paul C.

BTW Ed, a Google search on HTF returned "Home Theatre Forum" - is that what you are referring to? I wasn't aware of it, but will check it out.

I was aware of the Big Sleep having the two versions - I saw the re-released version with different scenes in a cinema here a few years ago. It's such a great movie. Unfortunately, the Australian PAL release omits the alternate version, but in other respects is exactly the same package - weird.

Speaking further of films of this era, I have wanted to get the Criterion version of The Third Man for a while, but could not afford it. In the last couple of months, Universal have released a version of The Third Man on PAL DVD here in Australia - it seems to share a few of the extras found on the Criterion disc. I don't know if the print is the same as the Criterion, if that's even possible. Anyway, I bought it for AUD $20 (approx. US $12), and it's pretty good. Plenty of grain in the film, and lots of contrast. The blacks are nice and dark. There are quite a few specks here and there, so it hasn't been digitally restored to death obviously. All in all, it's a good version to have.

Also picked up the Sunset Boulevard DVD - haven't had a real close look yet, but it appears to be a very nice transfer - I understand that a major digital cleanup was performed on it. I'd be interested to hear how any of you view this restoration in comparison to the Kane DVD.

15. krabapple

krabapple New Member

Mildred Pierce, which is a movie I like a lot, would IMO be worth it even if you don't like Crawford, for the bits with Eve Arden. Classic 'smart-talkin' dame' stuff there.

Just watched Casablanca recently on DVD, and was well-pleased.

The Falcon is probably my second favorite Bogey, after 'Treasure of Sierra Madre; which INEXPLICABLY is still unreleased on DVD.

The Big Sleep is a goodie too, thogh the story is confounding. The bookstore scene is a classic.

The Third Man (Criterion Edition) is *excellent*.

As for Citizen Kane , it is of course a must-have -- I must remember to pick it up some day.

:p

16. Todd Fredericks

I believe 'Treasure...' is coming out sometime later this year.

Also, the Criterion 'The Third Man' is very, very worth it. The transfer is amazing (new digital transfer was created from the restored 35mm fine-grain master positive, made from the original nitrate camera negative) as well as the extras. Heck, you get the enitre Lux (soap) radio version of a Harry Lime prequel with none other than Orson...

17. Ed Bishop

Paul, yes: that's what HTF is. Be warned: it's a HUGE site, takes a little time to navigate easily if you're not used to it(and even then, sometimes...:rolleyes: )

But if you want a wealth of info on a specific release, and search for a bit, you'll find more than you might ever want to know. With(last I checked)38 THOUSAND members, 137K threads and 1.5 MILLION POSTS(!!!!!), it's a hell of a ride. So much so, that in the past they've had fund drives just to add more servers! Then there's that cruise thing....

On the neg side...it's just not for me, except to check in and read reviews of a new DVD I might want to buy, to get a general idea of what's what. Too rigid and impersonal, no room for the kind of camaraderie and humor we have here. With so many members, when peak times hit, you can't carry on the kind of trains of thought and exchanges of banter that makes this forum so special. And some longtime members have little patience for people with either a)a sense of humor and frolic, or b)a questioning attitude toward certain beliefs carved in stone by core members and by the owners of the site. Since I fall into the a & b categories, regularly, I've never felt welcome there, and it took me a few years just to sign up. Some great people there, but it's BIG...

I guess I prefer us while we're still in the CBGB phase: makin' noise, rockin' and rollin', gettin' noticed, but still very elite in so many ways.:)

18. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

19. Steve Hoffman

I'll do you one better. Here is Robert's article about film grain and it's being "NO-NOISED" out of existance. IT'S A MUST READ FOR FILM BUFFS!

Film Grain
    It's the word... not Grease, but Grain. Robert A. Harris

There have been numerous discussions on the HTF site about the positive and negative attributes of whatever it is that videophiles see as represented as "grain."

And unfortunately, it seems to be confusing, as grain appears as different anomalies, sometimes as not even grain at all, but rather as video noise which viewers assume is grain.

Grain structure, size, shape and density has changed continuously over the more than one hundred-year history of the motion picture.

Take a look at a still frame of a very early film and the grain, which makes up that still image, will appear to be huge. Set those frames in motion, however, and tie in with the magic of persistence of vision, and the effect is minimized as the grain structure and location changes from frame to frame, giving the appearance of a much less grainy image.

With the print stock being slower in speed, and therefore less grainy than its negative counterpart, one would see (in original prints) a positive image of that actual grain structure which was exposed to light and processed to stabilize the resultant image.

With multiple stages of dupes (especially when produced from improper elements or via poor lab techniques), that original grain structure is softened and eventually lost, replaced by an unattractive buildup of contrast and additional grain, which covers not only the details of the original photographed image, but also the delicate balance of grays which would make up the black and white image.

Color film is affected in a similar manner, with a like buildup of grain, color and a loss of midrange tonalities, as the areas of darkness and light lose all information which once made up the middle range of tones for both color and density.

With the exception of the most modern releases - the past 10 -15 years - a top quality transfer will normally allow a film's grain structure to be visible, as is proper.

The latest of Kodak's negative and duplicating stocks are so finely grained that on many motion picture screens at full size, their grain is all but invisible. Which means that on video, the grain structure should be transparent.

Which leads us to recent some DVD releases that have been all but rendered as video. No longer looking anything like the filmed product that they were these overly homogenized digital representations have gone way past the concept of "clean-up," in which minus and plus density defects and miscellaneous detritus are removed, and the product exits the digital process with either no grain structure - or some other film's grain structure.

This is akin to changing the smile on the Mona Lisa.

And this is where it gets ugly.

I've known enough directors of photography, filmmakers, laboratory technicians, digital technicians and members of the Kodak fraternity to know that these folks ain't dolts.

Each and every individual has more technical information in their brains to fill an encyclopedia. And each and every one of them knows that grain structure is NOT an artifact to be worked around and diminished, but rather, like an atomic nucleus, is the very center of matter in the film world.

Film grain is to the motion picture as an artist's brush strokes are to a classic oil painting.

While holding the actual image and subject in place, image exchanging the brush strokes in a Renoir landscape or portrait, a Van Gogh, a Monet, Cezanne or, even more appropriately, a Seurat. We would be left with paintings of familiar subject, but alien structure.

Which means that when I see the representation of a piece of filmed entertainment, or even worse, acknowledged filmed art on DVD, and I know that good film elements are available, which would have enabled the replication of that filmed image to digital video.

And that resultant digital image no longer looks like film.

I'm unhappy.

Let's look at a few examples.

Disney's recent release of the classic Snow White* is not only a wonderful set of discs, but a beautiful representation of this 20th century artwork. While it has been shorn of Disney "dust," those flecks of matter which would adhere to the original cells during exposure to the camera and while the overall image has been scrubbed clean of the film look, I can still appreciate it as a new and different edition, in no way attempting to "restore" the original. Rather, this is a new edition, a fully new representation of the original work for a new audience. Which makes it a totally successful release.

On the other end of the scale, Paramount's recent releases of Roman Holiday* and Sunset Blvd.*, while in no way representative of the original works, are quite acceptable on DVD as the extant film elements were in so poor a condition that a certain amount of digital "magic" became necessary. The picture elements used for the work were third or fourth generation, which exhibited very little, if any, of the original grain structure. When you have virtually nothing to work with, you do what you can, and Paramount allocated huge amounts of money in an attempt to bring these films back to their former glory.

And then there are the releases that fall in between. The bottom of the barrel is those from Artisan. Formerly great films from the Republic library have had every bit of life squeezed out of them electronically. What remains, I find them painful and virtually unviewable.

Filmmakers know how to use grain structure. An example which I've mentioned previously were the Chaplin releases from Image. The most perfect film elements were sought out and rendered so perfectly to video, that they were too sharp, revealing too much of the underlying image, which ultimately, in the print state, several generations down the road, Chaplin knew would have been hidden in film grain. Wires and other physical production artifacts, once hidden from the audience became all to clear.

Changes in grain also reveal other anomalies we were never meant to see. Kodak's newest incarnation of color print stock now reveals the circular glass (or clear plastic) base for the "floating" pen in space in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

But to view a film produced (especially) during the first 75 years of this great invention with its original film grain intact and even more so, when replicated from an original 35mm nitrate element, the difference is immediately apparent.

What I'm attempting to get across here is, film grain is not the enemy. It is not something to be abhorred, to be electronically filtered out like some sort of unwanted noise.

Moving film grain is never something annoyingly "grainy." It simply exists, the element that when exposed to light and processed captures Groucho Marx's mustache, Kirk Douglas or Cary Grant's dimple, Paul Newman's eyes and Grace Kelly's smile.

While it may be a certain falcon representing the "stuff" that dreams are made of, it is film grain that embeds and breathes life into that falcon and those players who surround it. There is a direct connection between story, set, actors, effects and everything else which a cinematographer captures on that pliant roll of light-sensitive stuff we call film. And there is a direct connection between the world which is captured on that piece of film; embedded within the grain structure of the emulsion which contains it, and that print or video image which it can produce when handled properly and with care.

Take it away; digitally remove it; soften it; throw that image out of focus and the performance suffers.

Abel Gance probably relayed the concept best.

When working on his 1971 "sonorization" of his classic silent film Napoleon, he pulled rolls of original nitrate from vaults where it had been held for almost fifty years. He felt that bringing his original negatives into the light and creating new elements from them was much like the discovery and opening of an ancient Egyptian tomb and the discovery of numerous amphoras filled with ancient grain.

It was Abel's thought that allowing light to once again hit the silver grains which made up his aging images, was much like that of the grain contained within those Egyptian vessels which when opened, would allow the grain stored within to be scattered to the winds, much like his film - to live again.

Like film grain, a bit of minus density dirt, known as "sparkle," is part of that film image, and is perfectly acceptable transferred to DVD. The final product of a film transferred and distributed via DVD does not have to be cleaner than an operating room.

Film grain is not the enemy.

20. Ed Bishop

"Film grain is not the enemy."

"Tape hiss is not the enemy."

Would this comparison be accurate?

21. Paul C.

Thanks for the comments, and the info on HTF, Ed. And thanks for the film grain article, Steve. I've read Robert Harris's column at the Digital Bits site before - some great stuff there. Boy, he knows his movies.

Now he was one of the guys who worked on the Vertigo and Rear Window restorations, wasn't he? Saw Vertigo on it's re-release a few years ago, and of course have the DVD - an amazing job. I think Rear Window is even more startling after restoration - I got the DVD version, and it was a revelation to see it in a clear clean print with beautful colours.

22. jdw

jdw Senior Member

"Flutes! There's no sound in flutes!"

(Sorry - this won't mean a thing to anyone that hasn't heard the Buddy Rich Tape)

I can watch Citizen Kane over and over and it still is magical to me. I enjoyed the DVD a lot - I think the commentaries by Ebert and Bogdanovich are both interesting. Ebert seems to get so involved in the movie that he loses his breath trying to describe things as fast as he can. Bogdanovich is more personal, which is to be expected since he was a friend and collaborator of Welles'.

I originally read that they were going to prepare a Welles commentary track from the hundreds of hours of audio tape he recorded while being interviewed for Bogdanovich's book "This Is Orson Welles." Probably they are saving that for the 75th anniversary dvd...

I've read a couple of the biographies on Welles, including Bogdanovich's book. He was incredibly gifted (and incredibly stubborn, unlucky etcetera) and he lived an amazing life.

23. Steve Hoffman

I met him twice. A towering legend who scared me to death in person. Nice, but VERY intimidating. We were warned not to ask him anything about KANE (as if I would have; I'm not crazy). He brought it up though and we talked about the movie for a few minutes. Can't tell you the conversation though; he made us promise we wouldn't reproduce it in any print media...

I was in Paris on the day Orson Welles died in 1985. The French news reports screamed "Orson Welles et MORT! (I remember that much)... Traffic literally stopped in the street, and the TV broadcasting system went black for a minute of silence. Then, they broadcast CITIZEN KANE in English, no French subtitles, just English. It was awesome.

I bet they didn't do anything like that here in the States!

24. Ed Bishop

:bigeek: :bigeek:

25. Paul C.

That is awesome Steve - what a story. I'd love to know what he said about Kane, but it can be your "Rosebud"...

The guy was a genius, no doubt. I think The Magnificent Ambersons is a great achievement, despite the fact that he lost control of it. The Lady From Shanghai is pretty good too... I watched the restored version of Touch of Evil recently - a great film, but not one that I like that much - I find that it is a bit too strained for my liking, and the young lovers (Heston and Leigh) seem rather silly. Years ago I saw a later film of Welles' called "F For Fake", which was a very clever documentary-style film about how we can be duped - and Welles played the trackster/conjurer to a tee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.