Ortofon 2M Blue... cartridge body dragging?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by waltjohns, Sep 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. regore beltomes

regore beltomes Forum Resident

The VTA is incorrect. Shim the front of the cartridge so the bottom is parallel to the playing surface.
    With proper set up there is no such thing as a tail dragger or low rider.

2. IainS

IainS Forum Resident

Did you happen to change to a thicker platter mat after the cartridge was installed?

3. SacramentoJim

SacramentoJim New Member

Thanks everyone. I will send a photo later today. Platter is heighten than the stock platter. Unsure if I can adjust the tone arm, but will follow up. Thanks

4. dodger24

dodger24 Member

Ah man I just got my Blue in the mail today for my LP-120. I hope I don't have issues putting it on. My first time replacing a cartridge.

Anything you think I should know???

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  5. Bloodbuzz459

Bloodbuzz459 Forum Resident

I have a 2M Blue. I had a bit of concern about this but I think the shape of the cartridge just adds to the illusion. If I look at it from various angles there is always clear daylight between the cartridge and record.

Without stating the obvious, When aligning focus on the cantilever being in line and not the cartridge shell.

6. dodger24

dodger24 Member

Oh I missed this. I saw many videos and no one has said align it with the cantilever, they say the shell. Or maybe I understood them wrong. But I will go back and take a look.

I came back here because I noticed my Blue rides low. Or at least it looks lower then when I first put it on.

It is not tail down, and I did use a scale.

7. dodger24

dodger24 Member

I went back, it is dead on aligned, and I re scaled it, and it came back 1.8 which is what I set it to.

It doesn't look like it is tail down....

imgur.com

imgur.com

8. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Horses for courses, I guess. I bought aa AT 540 after reading very positive reviews on here. It sound terrible, tinny with poor bass response. It must have been defective and I was able to return it. I have had and have an AT cartridge on one of my turntables and on my other turntable I have an Ortofon 2M Red which I am quite happy with.
    I did have a Goldring cartridge on which the suspension went and the body started hitting a mildly warped record which is playing great right now with my Ortofon.

9. Anthony Cluer

Anthony Cluer Active Member

Did you get to the bottom of this? I have brand new Fluance RT85. Some records are fine but others have an unmistakable drag. I popped a felt mat on as the acrylic platter is still a bit tough and the cart angle was comical. I removed the mat but the drag still happens far too often. I buy a lot of thicker 180g pressings too which exacerbates the problem.
    On the Fluence website they say the VTA can't be adjusted. Their support took 4 days to reply. When I contacted Ortonfon they replied in 10 minutes! They said a gap between the record and cart can be as low as 0.5mm.

Good to read this. I thought I was going mad too. Will rebalance the arm today and see if it makes a difference but I really don't trust the low riding set up. Gonna compare the affected vinyl with how it plays with my Michell Transcopic and Black Pearl.

Anthony

Beach House likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.