Ortofon 2M red

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Prof Yuri, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xantus

xantus Active Member

that picture of your cart looks like its riding awwful lowww. are you really Shure about the weight ;)

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Is the tracking force set too high? :agree::winkgrin:

3. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

The link is right in my post. Thakker in Germany. A few friends have purchased there as well- no issue, solid folks.

Gramps Tom likes this.
  4. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Finally bit the bullet and ordered an Ortofon 2M Red and an AT HS1 headshell from Needle Doctor. Was going to order the 2M Red P&P with headshell but their rep Brian Lickel said it would be too heavy for the tonearm on my Yamaha YP-D6. Through his superior customer service he set me up with the proper headshell and is now mounting and alligning the cartridge for me. BTW, the mounting and alligning are complimentary! Iam so excited to know that this is on
    the way to me very soon and done so from such a professional as Brian at Needle Doctor! I recommend them highly for any LP & Turntable Enthusiast.

Gramps Tom and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I read that this cartridge needs a "break-in" period. Anyone have any thought, comments, etc. regarding this?

6. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I have interacted a lot with Brian as well. He is one of the main reasons they still get my money.

Gramps Tom and paulmock like this.
  7. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

I have the Red and Blue. Had the red for a year, loved it. upgraded to a blue out of...well...no good reason! but the blue is amazing as well honestly. Not sure I'll ever get to Bronze or Black.

Gramps Tom likes this.
  8. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I think it sounds good out of the box but after about 50hours it seems to just gel. I still have yet to get the blue. I figured once I need a replacement I will get the blue stylus.

Gramps Tom, Kristofa and paulmock like this.
  9. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

FWIW, my 2M Red and new head shell arrived last evening. P&P was like child's play. Had to play with anti-skate a bit (and may still have to adjust a tad). But after a quick 1 1/2 hr. of early playing, I am already VERY impressed. I do not initially hear any sibilance issues and hear surprisingly good bass. Way to early for a final verdict, but I am so far happy I finally made the switch.

Mlle. Aurora and Clonesteak like this.
  10. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident

Glad you like it. Always good to hear contrary experiences. Personally the 2m red has a lot of issues with IGD and sibilance, hopefully you never experience this.

11. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Well, 1 1/2 hrs. of initial playing time does not measure anything...so who knows what I will find come 50 hrs. or so. Thanks!

12. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

+1 Reliable seller.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  13. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

HiFi Guy, Clonesteak and paulmock like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.