Oscar Peterson DVD - Defective disk?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John B Good, Jul 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Am enjoying "A Night In Vienna", Oscar Peterson in 2003.

But at 1:09, things go flooey, the clock stops and the picture starts jerking, tho the sound continues fine. At the end of Satin Doll, he re-announces his previous number (seems like a repeat of the clip) and resumes Satin Doll again, but now the time advances!

I've never seen anything like that before, and wonder if its an authoring error?

Basically I'm wondering what the chances are of getting a properly playing version of this wonderful concert via an exchange, or have all copies been authored with an error?

Anyone know? Thanks.

2. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

Hi John,

I'm planning on picking up the DVD on the weekend. I'll let you know if I encounter the same problem(s).

How is OP's performance on this DVD anyway?

3. John B Good

If it wasn't video, I wouldn't have noticed he virtually plays with one hand. I like it very much, and it's nicely filmed.

I was too lazy-busy to take it back in the hopes of an exchange for a non-defective copy. (There is also a cd in the package, which mitigates my annoyance with the DVD)

If you pick it up, I'd be interested to hear how yours plays.

4. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

John, I managed to pick up the DVD this evening and gave it a test spin... I jumped directly to the beginning of Satin Doll (1:05:41) and played it through to the end of that number (1:15:41), without any problems on my player. I did notice a slight pause though at 1:05:41, which I believe may just be the layer change... I'll try to watch the whole disc this weekend and I'll report back if I find anything unusual.

BTW, what DVD player do you own? Are you able to try this disc on different player?

5. Soops

Soops New Member

Defective Disc

Hey John B Good. I just found your message while surfing, and am the Producer of the Oscar Peterson "A Night in Vienna" DVD - send me a private email to [email protected] and I will mail you a non-defective DVD - we had a small problem with the DLT master and the first run had a defect, but we have sent replacements to anyone who has gone back to retail - please email me and I will get your address so I can send you another copy.

All the best,

Scott Morin

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Now THAT'S personal service. Thanks!

7. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

Indeed! :thumbsup:

8. John B Good

Soops, I'll be in touch, thank you very much.

Regards, John B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.