Oscars 2021

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dhreview16, Mar 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Finally, it’s Oscar time, delayed this year because of COVID. The nominations are announced on Monday, 15 March.

The BAFTA nominations came out last week. Interestingly, they produced long lists first, to try to encourage members to watch all the movies listed, so that the shortlists reflected a wider spectrum of views. The shortlist was certainly more edgy and diverse than previous years.

Please choose up to 6 of the movies that you either think should be nominated for the Oscars, or that you simply liked best.

The first 15 above reflect the BAFTA long list for best film, plus I’ve added a few more.

There are quite a few I’ve not seen yet, including The Father; Nomadland, Mauritanian, Promising Young Woman; Soul, and Sound of Metal, all likely to be favourites.

I enjoyed Da 5 Blood’s (Spike Lee); The Dig; Ma Rainey; News of the World; One Night in Miami; Pieces of a Woman, and White Tiger, but none really stood out. I thought Trial of the Chicago 7 was over rated; likewise the Life Ahead; thought Mank very good, but hard going. I liked US vs Billie Holiday very much; and thought the acting in Malcolm and Marie terrific, but the film wasn’t an easy watch. So, all in all, a lot of very good films, not least reflecting the growth of streaming.

So, have at it. My guess is that there should (rightly) be lots of nominations for women Directors this year; and lots of support for Chadwick Boseman for a posthumous best actor award.

2. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Sadly. I have seen very few of those films, only 4 of them. In a normal year, I would have seen many of them.

Of the very few I’ve seen, the only one on that list that I would consider for Best Picture is One Night in Miami. I would also include Mangrove, which is not on your list.

I did not like Da 5 Bloods, but would nominate Delroy Lindo for his performance in that film,

I wish I could participate more in this thread, but I just did not see films this year. :(

a customer, Solaris and longdist01 like this.
  3. Raf

Raf Senior Member

The movies I liked best from the past year (note: I haven't seen The Father yet):
    Minari
    Never Rarely Sometimes Always
    Nomadland
    Soul
    Sound of Metal

The movies that I think will get a Best Picture nomination on Mar. 15:
    The Father
    Judas and the Black Messiah
    Mank
    Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Minari
    Nomadland
    One Night in Miami…
    Promising Young Woman
    Sound of Metal
    The Trial of the Chicago 7
    (
    Spoiler: News of the World)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Like many, I've not seen most of those movies.

Crud, I've not even heard of most of 'em!

I have no streaming services, so if it's not been at AMC or on Blu-ray, it's not been viewed by me.

"Promising Young Woman" would be my easy pick as BP of the 5 I have seen.

After that I'd go "News of the World", "Nomadland", "Judas" and "Ammonite".

"Judas" was a disappointment - I didn't dislike it, but I felt underwhelmed.

"Ammonite" was downright awful:

Ammonite [Blu-Ray] (2020)

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  5. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Tenet is also up for a few Oscar nominations, including visual effects--deservedly so.

6. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

I've heard of Borat 2 and Da 5 Bloods, and I think I've heard of United States vs. Billie Holiday, so it'll be a night of surprises for me.

7. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

I'll be honest and say I haven't seen any of these movies, but these are the three that are on my "must see" list...

Promising Young Woman
    Soul
    Judas and the Black Messiah

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  8. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

I just watched the trailer, add "Da 5 Bloods" to my list.

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Er, the movie I saw six times??? TENET!! Lol

10. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

The Nexflix miniseries "The Queen's Gambit" was probably the most deserving oscar from last year.

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Nothing is formally "up for nominations" yet - they've not been announced.

mrjinks likes this.
  12. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I haven't heard of most of these. I did rent several films last summer when my local arthouse was steaming-only, but I guess they weren't Oscar worthy?

Chicago Seven was a solidly good movie. I don't think it comes anywhere near deserving an Oscar.

13. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

News of the World is the only one I saw.

14. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

No Dolemite Is my Name? No nod for Eddie Murphy?

15. I’m predicting Nomadland as winner for Best Picture.

16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Sure drives home how terrible this pandemic has hit the movie industry. I haven’t heard of, or seen, a single title. Wow.

showtaper likes this.
  17. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Dolemite Is My Name is from 2019 and was eligible for the previous year's Oscars, but it didn't get any nominations. It was nominated at last year's Golden Globes.

mrjinks likes this.
  18. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Just a few days ago, I was watching clips from past Oscar telecasts; a few of the actors I saw:
    Jack Lemmon
    Alec Guinness
    Cary Grant
    James Stewart
    Peter O'Toole
    Mickey Rooney
    Myrna Loy
    Deborah Kerr
    Fred Astaire
    Gene Kelly
    Robin Williams
    Charlie Chaplin
    Katherine Hepburn
    Sidney Poitier

With very few exceptions, I don't even know who most of the popular actors today are. I won't be watching.

BSU, a customer, Steve Baker and 4 others like this.
  19. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Cool. It’s dated 2020 on NF and I only saw it in January.

20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the year of the covid oscar.

should do the same list and poll but ask which of these movies have you seen........now that would be interesting.

Duke Fame likes this.
  21. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

It’s not a film, so...

22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Shockingly, there are 10 on that list that I haven't seen yet.

The best film I saw last year was Promising Young Woman. The most overrated and least deserving was Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, which despite the best efforts of all the actors involved was incredibly creaky and stage bound.

Saw The Father last night, great performances by everyone, but just sad and depressing - and the point was underscored by having to do a bit of support after the movie for one of my senior clients who is slowly losing his mind.

The one film on that list that I'd urge everyone to see is Minari. Quiet little film about an immigrant family struggling to make a living on a farm.

Willow, mrjinks and audiomixer like this.
  23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i know that no one really wants to say it, but sadly, this has to be the all time worst year ever for movies, just terrible choices, if choices are even available.

GMfan87' likes this.
  24. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Sound of Metal.

Didn't even hear about this one until now. Thank you, will check it out! :righton:

25. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

What's your definition of a "Film"?

Being shot on film or HD doesn't matter.
    Being from a major or Netflix doesn't matter.
    Are you referring to time length? Cause that shouldn't matter either.

I think the only rule was that it needed to be show in a local theater in either LA or NYC before 1/1/2021 to qualify.
    Otherwise if its shown on Netflix its considered TV.
    **Update....it's considered a miniseries so not eligible for best picture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.