Other than film D.V.D.s what D.V.D.s do you watch/are you watching/did you last watch?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HorseyAnn, Sep 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist Thread Starter

Me too.

I haven't been able to watch T.V. since March. Dad was very ill & had dementia. He damaged the aerial so we cannot get a signal on our T.V. (until we buy another or get someone in to repair the wire) so can only watch D.V.D.s at the moment. Other than that I watch youtube videos.

caracallac and Eric_Generic like this.
  2. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

When they were originally broadcast, Not The Nine O'clock News, The Young Ones and Blackadder were more my thing. Although looking back the one that captures the 80’s best is Only Fools and Horses.

HorseyAnn likes this.
  3. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident

Don’t take this as criticism... but here’s a hint when you’re looking up TV / DVD / CD topics on the search function.

Maybe try not using the punctuation between the letters like you do (D.V.D. / T.V. etc)... nobody else here does that.
    If that’s how you’re entering your searches, then nothing will come up because it won’t find that way of spelling.

BeatleJWOL and LilacTeardrop like this.
  4. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

If your eyes are giving you trouble, the audiobooks are a very viable alternative & can be had on CD format.

What @Whizz Kid said - I don't know why you've inserted the periods in between DVD o_O - Thread might get more attention/traffic if you ask gorts (administrators) to remove them.
    I don't believe I've ever seen DVDs referred to, in print - anywhere - w/those periods (being aware & understanding that it is an abbreviation). Even googling it, there are no periods.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    BeatleJWOL and HorseyAnn like this.
  5. HorseyAnn

I loved The Young Ones though I prefer the song. I loved Blackadder back when they were originally broadcast. I've got Only Fools & Horses. I love it & watch it sometimes.

6. HorseyAnn

O.K. That's how I was taught to write D.V.D. & C.D. etc.

7. HorseyAnn

Thank you very much.

I always got taught to use them as my English teacher said "The words are 2 or 3 words abbreviated into 1 so should have full stops in between them".

8. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident

No problem, really... it's just that it is probably messing up your searches. You can lose the periods in "O.K." too. ;) :p

As Lilac said, those sort of words (DVD etc) have never had punctuation... they are commonly used nouns without it.

Normally I'm the guy who is a stickler for missing hyphens and the like (don't get me started on "e-mail" :rolleyes:)... and of course I am the king of the ellipsis (...) but this is one where I think the standard form is to not have the periods, despite what your English teacher said.

9. HorseyAnn

OK. :0) My English teacher always taught me to use full stops in these cases & in A.S.A.P. too.

I'm like that too.

10. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

R.S.V.P.? ;)

EG.

HorseyAnn likes this.
  11. HorseyAnn

That 1 too & it was a good example if I'm to throw in a reference to your initials on here which stand for exempli gratia which means for example as you know. Lol. ;0)

Ann.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Last non-movie DVDs watched:

Macca In Red Square
    Prince - Lovesexy (Dortmund 88 maser dics rip)

HorseyAnn and Eric_Generic like this.
  13. HorseyAnn

The Paul McCartney one sounds good. I hope you enjoyed.

14. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I need to watch more of my music DVDs. I've got two Yello ones that I keep meaning to check out (The Singles Collection and Live In Berlin).

EG.

Gabzi Nemo and HorseyAnn like this.
  15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes, it's a fun D.V.D. !

HorseyAnn likes this.
  16. HorseyAnn

Good!

17. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I've been watching my DVDs of "South Park" and "Gunsmoke" lately.

18. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident

Of course we could always just spell it like Sparks do... Dee Vee Dee. :righton:
    This is a great concert vid, by the way.

[​IMG]

Purple Jim and Eric_Generic like this.
  19. HorseyAnn

We could always spell all the words out in full too & write something like "I've got Emma on digital versatile disk". ;0)

Eric_Generic likes this.
  20. Not a huge fan of their music but watched the recent Swans: Where Does A Body End? documentary. Nearly three hours long, it intimately covers Michael Gira and the band's career in extensive detail. About as good a music documentary as one could hope for on a band.

Swans: Where Does a Body End? Blu-ray Review

Eric_Generic likes this.
  21. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I suppose the bulk of my non-film DVDs are live concerts/music video collections-which annoys me as I think such things should've been at the epicenter of the blu-ray revolution, but what can you do?

Anyway, for me:

HorseyAnn likes this.
  22. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Currently watching the Challenge of the Superfriends DVD, one episode a day

23. HorseyAnn

A lot of mine are concerts or musical tours of Scotland, Sing-alongs or music documentaries though I have a lot of television series too.

I love that video you shared. Thank you very much.

24. Grand_Ennui

I always thought it stood for "digital video disc"?

25. Grand_Ennui

Never mind, I did a quick search and found that it can stand for either Digital Versatile Disc or Digital Video Disc.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.