Outlaw RR2160 vs. phono pre-amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 21niko21, Sep 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 21niko21

21niko21 Member Thread Starter

Hey everyone this is my first post here and I'm hoping someone can help me out. I've searched different forums and not found an answer to this.

I bought an RR2160 a few months back and I'm very happy with it. Then I got divorced and since I had originally bought our home theater speakers I got them back. I've ended up with enough speakers for a 7.1 system. Once I hooked up the sub and fired up Star Trek I realized how much I missed watching movies with surround sound.

So I bought an NAD 758 after reading reviews. I did that because I still put music listening first overall. I've been very surprised with how much I like BluOS though. At first I wanted to keep the Outlaw not only for the phono out, but also the PC USB feature. But, I've now bought a soundcard so I can just hook into the NAD with the optical in. I haven't received it yet, but I'm assuming that I'll be happy with the audio quality.

That leaves me with the question of whether to sell the Outlaw and go with a phono pre-amp or keep it and connect it into the system as the analog stereo system. Selling it would be best for my budget. So, what phono pre-amp is roughly equivalent to the audio quality from the phono out on the Outlaw? I'm looking at the Rega phono MM mk3.

The rest of my system is two HSU CCB-8 speakers, 3 Ascend Sierra 1's, and two of their smaller satellite speakers. I do have an old Pioneer SX-750 that could take over the analog side as well (but with no sub). I have an extensive vinyl collection. My use of the Outlaw was vinyl and PC only, no tuner. Thanks in advance!

2. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Couldn't say, but it's not a given that an outboard unit will be anywhere near as good. The onboard is far better than the U-Turn Pluto I have on hand, for example. Only issue I have it its low gain, 33.5dB in MM mode as measured by Stereophile.

Dignan2000 likes this.
  3. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

You might consider a Lounge LCR mkIII, much loved here and I can personally vouch for it. Leaps and bounds beyond the U-Turn Pluto which I also have built in on an Orbit Plus.

There’s one in the classifieds at the moment.

Dignan2000 likes this.
  4. Dignan2000

Dignan2000 Forum Resident

For what it’s worth, someone had contacted Outlaw about the internal phono preamp and Outlaw stated that it could compete with anything below $500. (I can’t find the post that mentioned that, but I do recall reading it).

My own experience matches JackG’s. It’s too quiet, but otherwise Outlaw’s internal phono is very good with MM carts. I have a Schiit Mani that I used with a prior amp, but I haven’t been compelled to use it with the RR-2160. I’d like to try out either a Lounge or a Graham Slee phono preamp at some point to compare them, but that may be awhile.

Donald Burger, The Pinhead and JackG like this.
  5. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

I've been using the Outlaw's phono via the Rec Out jacks with a small tube integrated and that's where the gain has been an issue - sometimes I can't get loud enough at max on the integrated. Never really a problem used as intended, so not a fault of the Outlaw, but in looking for a new outboard phono to use with the new amp I didn't even bother looking at the $500 options - I figured I'd have to aim higher.

Donald Burger and Dignan2000 like this.
  6. 21niko21

21niko21 Member Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for all the help guys. I was afraid that might be the answer. I'll look into the Lounge and Graham Slee.

7. Donald Burger

Donald Burger Forum Resident

This thread furthers my inclination to pull the trigger on a RR2160. A very good quality phono section is of utmost importance to me and it sounds like the Outlaw has it.

eryoung, MrSluggo and The Pinhead like this.
  8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Don't tell me you're the only other guy (apart from me) who doesn't want to bypass their receiver's phono stage by intercalating an external one ?:cheers:

eryoung, Donald Burger and krambigmac like this.
  9. krambigmac

krambigmac Forum Resident

I'm just running digital right now but when I get the turntable back up, I use a Lounge LCR mkIII as my stage. I had a 90s Yamaha receiver before the Outlaw so I didn't buy the Lounge because of the Outlaw's Phono In being poor. I've just never matched them up head to head

The Pinhead likes this.
  10. Donald Burger

Donald Burger Forum Resident

Yes I hate that you really don't know how good or bad the phono sections that are included in integrated amps are. Currently running the one in my NAD D3020 V2 but I wanted more power and if I can get an excellent phono section thrown into the mix with a RR2160 that just makes it all that more attractive to me .

The Pinhead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.