Outtakes and unreleased songs that should have been on their parent albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Robert, Oct 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pharz

Pharz Forum Resident

Great story, I hope Simon is doing well. I miss his DP releases. Too bad nothing came of the MkIV soundboard tapes he was negotiating a release for, and the MkIV photo book from the US tour.

dbz and petercl like this.
  2. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Also Velvet Goldmine.

Markyp likes this.
  3. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

I believe Keith Emerson considered "Brain Salad Surgery" and "When the Apples Blossoms Bloom..." as throw away tracks, but I always found them as fascinating finds and gems. I was never a big fan of the opening track "Jerusalem" so I would have loved to see it replaced with BSS. Tough to find room for "Apples..." unless they maybe edited down "KE9 Third Impression".

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  4. Bruins64

Bruins64 Forum Resident

" Dog On The Run" Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers debut album

SOONERFAN likes this.
  5. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Considering the weak album we got, some of the leftovers from Michael Jackson's "Invincible" should've been swapped in. Beautiful Girl, Fall Again, Another Day. Not a good fit necessarily, but Seeing Voices (his old-timey song about sign language) is fantastic.

Bink and youngchoulin like this.
  6. TheLazenby

Oh, and on that note.... whoever decided "Streetwalker" wasn't good enough for Bad was insane.

One of the weaker songs (I'm looking at you "Another PAWWWWT of Me") could've been bumped.

Thorpy, ziggytvs and youngchoulin like this.
  7. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Rebirth of The Flesh needed to be on something.

I'm not sure where you'd fit it on Sign o The Times but it just adds more to the fact Camille should of been it's own record given how fine the songs from it were.

8. puddingdish

puddingdish Forum Resident

'Abandoned Love' and 'Golden Loom' should have been on Desire.

stef1205 and Cryptical17 like this.
  9. puddingdish

puddingdish Forum Resident

"Camille" was going to be its own record. It got as far as being assigned a Warner cat number and test pressings were done, before "Sign" existed. When it was scrapped in favour of the proposed three record "Crystal Ball," certain songs were kept, along with new material and other tracks from "Dream Factory" which predated "Camille." Warner, however, vetoed a three record album, and the project mutated again to become "Sign o' the Times," a two record album, on which again, miscellaneous songs from the aborted projects were either carried over or discarded.

So basically....

Dream Factory ---> Camille ---> Crystal Ball ----> Sign o' the Times.

Jayseph likes this.
  10. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Porcupine Tree's album In Absentia contains a couple of throwaway numbers, yet for some reason they chose not to include the excellent "Drown With Me" on the album.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  11. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

Are you kidding on the Macca choice?
    I don't know which is the worst McCartney recording: SLU or Press To Play. .both AWFUL.

12. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

They must be really bad if they're worse than "Wonderful Christmastime".

DTK and Chrome_Head like this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

none...they should have released special albums with this material...would have made a great series!

14. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

*exactly* what I was thinking about when I saw this thread. When I heard them on Biograph I was completely blown away. Amazing how Dylan was able to cultivate the same exact sound for these as all the other Desire era songs.

AntLantic likes this.
  15. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

Nope, absolutely disagree. "Press To Play" is a great album.

16. godslonelyman

godslonelyman Forum Resident

Might also strongly consider Xscape and Place With No Name (both dates back to the Invincible sessions)
    And while on MJ, I'd go for Slave To The Rhythm over the mush of Heal The World on Dangerous

TheLazenby likes this.
  17. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Pavement recorded ”For Sale! The Preston School of Industry” for the Dutch VPRO Lessons in Songwriting TV show. Guessing VPRO owns the rights as it hasn’t appeared anywhere else. Should have gone on Brighten the Corners imo

18. ziggytvs

ziggytvs What's so funny about Biggus Dickus?

I abhor your choices of songs to cut from M1, however I almost always replace "Think of Me" and "I Know It" with "Ain't No" and "Crimes."

19. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Paul Kossoff (Free), Molten Gold- Free At Last

John Fell likes this.
  20. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

I'd go with "I Know It," but "Think Of Me" is my favorite song on that album. "Crimes" actually might have fit better on the second album, which could have used an additional track on side two.

21. RJD1954

RJD1954 Forum Resident

Under the radar and I Don’t Wanna go Home both should have been in The Stones A Bigger Bang at the expense of She Saw me Coming and Look What the cat Dragged in.

Both the latter two are turkeys.

The former two are both late 60s sounding Stones songs and only found on the Deluxe version of the record.

croquetlawns likes this.
  22. ziggytvs

ziggytvs What's so funny about Biggus Dickus?

To be fair, I do hear that a lot about "Think of Me." Usually for the second album I go with the 85 pressing that came with "Groove," maybe trade a weaker cut for "Crazy For You."

23. AdrianSoundchaser

AdrianSoundchaser Forum Resident

This is the song that I immediately thought of. Not only is it a great track but if they'd let Hackett write more he might have stayed in Genesis a bit longer!

Mr-Beagle and mshare like this.
  24. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I think "Your Own Special Way is OK". I would have included "Inside And Out", and bumped off "Wot Gorilla?"

tedg65 and AdrianSoundchaser like this.
  25. TheLazenby

Ehhhhh, that's a hard one. "Heal The World" is so iconic I kind of don't want to touch it.

"Jam," on the other hand, is a mess to my ears - I'd put "Slave To The Rhythm" in its place. Or "Work That Body," since that sounds like an album opener.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.