Outtakes and unreleased songs that should have been on their parent albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Robert, Oct 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

The Who

The entire Ready Steady Who! EP should have been included on A Quick One

Faith In Something Bigger - The Who Sell Out (Stereo)
    Jaguar - The Who Sell Out (Mono)

Put The Money Down and Pure And Easy - Who's Next

Certified Rose (with Entwistle's bass part) should have been completed and included on The Who's Endless Wire.

Hangman - Queen 1 (Queen)
    Heartland - Blue Rock (The Cross)

2. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

MBN would have been cool closing side 1.
    Instead of Mother I would have booted Walking In Your Footsteps which probably is the most directionless thing they ever did.
    I think Mother is a lot of fun that’s taken too seriously.

3. BillyBudapest'sPajamas

BillyBudapest'sPajamas Forum Resident

‘Fade Away’ and ‘Listen Up’ should’ve been on ‘Definitely Maybe’

‘Acquiesce’, ‘The Masterplan’, ‘Half The World Away’ and ‘Talk Tonight’ could’ve and should’ve been on ‘(What’s The Story) Morning Glory?’

Although both albums are great as they are. It’s just an incredible run of songs written by Noel Gallagher between ‘93 and ‘96. Very underrated and ignored by many people who just write off the band as not being very good.

4. ScaryMercedes

ScaryMercedes Forum Residents

Agreed! Say what you will about Oasis, they had some of the strongest B-side tracks out of any band. Let's add "Going Nowhere" to that list of Noel classics.

5. Absolutely. Crime it wasn't included. I'm not even a Dylan fan particularly, but I remember liking Oh Mercy a bit back in the day, and nabbed a promo-CD-single of "Series of Dreams" (which thankfully had the song separate from what I seem to remember was a nasty crossfade between it and whatever parent release "Series of Dreams" came out on originally.

First song I through of when I saw this thread -- again, despite the fact that my interest in Dylan registers about a 2 on a 10 scale (tons of respect for him, don't get me wrong -- just little actual interest).

The MEZ and Sean like this.
  6. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

"Satisfaction" should've been on "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" The funky arrangement from '69 is a great groove. (I know, ABCKO wouldn't allow it.)

"Journey Through The Past" & "Love In Mind" coulda/shoulda been on "Harvest." They just fit.

7. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

I am of the opinion that, given the sheer greatness of the 1995 MCA cd with the bonus tracks, that Sell Out should have been released as a double with all of that stuff.

Dr. Robert and marmalade166 like this.
  8. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

Someone mentioned Criss Cross Man which I agree should of been on Goat's Head Soup and the lead off track. Dancing With Mr D is just not a good lead off track imo
    Also Blind Wille McTell on Infidels of course

Libertine, Davido and The Panda like this.
  9. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

Abandoned Love on Desire and Joey off, as a previous poster noted.

AntLantic likes this.
  10. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

"Cuba Si, Nixon No" on Simon & Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water.

11. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Agree with many that have already been mentioned and would add “Screw You” to Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. It’s better than much of what made that album, which is saying something.

bumbletort likes this.
  12. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

"Only a Northern Song" should have been on Pepper, and "When I'm 64" saved for Yellow Submarine.

13. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

How good was Prince back then that "Train" was consigned to the outtake bin?? Sign could have been 5-LP set and still would've been brilliant. So many good outtakes from that era. My favourite Prince era.

14. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

"MOBILE ALABAMA SCHOOL LEAVING HULLABALOO" should definitely have been included on Cliff Richard´s 1978 album "GREEN LIGHT". Not only would it help the balance of ballads versus rockers, but it would also improve an already great album.

15. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I’ve tried sequencing Harvest with the Stray Gators takes on Journey and Bad Fog of Loneliness and cutting out Maid and There’s A World and I think it suffers from a same-i-ness (!) as Journey has a bounce like the title track and Bad Fog guitar is very much in the vein of Needle. Good call on Love in Mind. I kind of feel like, love em or hate em, Maid and There’s A World were the right calls for the record, giving it a wacky diversity of what could’ve been a very straightforward record, almost like After The Gold Rush, Part 2.

DTK and George Blair like this.
  16. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I jammed them on without dropping anything, it's a 42 minute album (OK to be honest I put Dance Dance Dance in place of Needle which I moved over to TFA, but they're just about the same length).

Paul Gase and The MEZ like this.
  17. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Which version of Dance? The Nash banjo one?

18. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

Depression blues on Neil Young's Old ways.

qtrules and The MEZ like this.
  19. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Same here by a fairly wide margin! :agree:

Peace N. Love likes this.
  20. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

The Stray Gators one with Nash on Archives V1.

21. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

I'd gladly take this over at least five songs that made it onto "A Bigger Bang:"

22. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Seabirds on Pink floyd's More Soundtrack. What a musical crime that was. And now its Lost maybe forever.

23. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Many manic street preachers b-sides, but above all the ones from lifeblood era. That could have been a fantastic album, amongst their best, imo. I still like it a lot though.

24. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I think Elton was purposely putting really good songs on B-sides. After all, millions of people were buying the singles. (By the same token, "Sick City" is better than many Caribou tracks).

SOONERFAN, robcar and bumbletort like this.
  25. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

AN INFINITE YES!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.