Ozark (Netflix)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dmiller458, Jul 22, 2017.

1. hophedd

hophedd Forum Resident

The conclusion was passable; the lack of reality points made here can be dug up regarding most shows. And real life doesn't necessarily make sense, either. Millions of people take matters into their own hands rather than getting a lawyer.

Ozark was doomed to pale in comparison to what it was inspired by (Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul) because all copy cats do. Word of warning, though - after the final episode, you can watch a behind-the-scenes interview special that's relentlessly self-congratulatory. I had to turn it off after about 20 minutes.

Johnny66 likes this.
  2. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

It makes no sense. Focus the use of power and influence to get rid of a witness (and use your most expensive bullet insodoing) but not use it as you already have many other times, locally, to get the result you want? Makes ZERO sense, and is a gaping hole in the plot.

3. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Yeah, I don't get hung up on implausibility either, otherwise, I'd have to nix most shows.
    Banshee is a good stupid over the top alternative if you like drug running, violence, excessive and pointless nudity and general silliness. Actually quite fun.

scottabs, Adam6437 and Joshua Tree like this.
  4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Loved Ruthie's impression of Charlotte

:laugh:

5. I still can't look at Richard Thomas without thinking of John-Boy Walton! Anyway, I liked Ozark, good show.

razerx, mpayan, Comet01 and 5 others like this.
  6. TurtleIsland

TurtleIsland Forum Resident

Watched the premiere last night. The incorporation of Nas - Illmatic was instantly iconic. I'm still humming "NY State of Mind."

7. trd

trd Forum Resident

He’ll always be Frank Gaad to me

Alan Beasley and mrjinks like this.
  8. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

I probably should have stopped watching after season 1 or 2 and created my own ending for the characters. By the time part 2 of the final season was here I was so ready for it to be over. And the final season didn’t disappoint in that regard. It was as annoying and poorly written as I expected.

trd and hyntsonsvmse like this.
  9. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

I finished it. By the end, I couldn't care less who lived and died.
    It's difficult to feel anything for murdering psychopaths. The final season was just too much.
    Wendy's psychiatric sojourn and release was ludicrous.
    There's just too much going on and then there's not enough.
    I've no idea why I finished it. Maybe I just wanted everyone to get what they deserved.
    Then again, if that had have happened then nobody would have survived.

hbbfam, Comet01, trd and 2 others like this.
  10. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

I don't think Ruth deserved what she got

Silken, jlocke08, Szeppelin75 and 5 others like this.
  11. "deserve got nothing to do with it"

-Will Munny

12. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

We finished this last night. Not to be a spoiler, did not like the final scene with Ruth, but still feel this was a well written and produced series. Seldom have I watched a show that I thought the characters were unlikable yet I rooted for them at the same time.

I liked the behind the scenes reel that played after the conclusion. I thought Bateman's comment that he thought the show's audience would be satisfied how it ended was not realistic. But overall I liked the closeness of the entire cast and crew that was delineated. Everyone seemed genuinely happy and grateful to be involved, and seemed to have a rapport and a fondness for one another. That was a nice thing to see.

captouch likes this.
  13. NettleBed

Watched the finale yesterday. I think Vulture says it best:

"...the final seconds of Ozark take a sudden turn mostly for the sake of taking a sudden turn. We watch the Byrdes quote-unquote win, and we don’t feel anything — or at least I didn’t. That’s the essence of Ozark: As thrilling as it could be, this series was ultimately as empty as the “I love you”s that Wendy and Marty exchange when they return home from the gala. It was a show about cold people with chilly visuals and a hard slab of ice at its center that, like so many binge-focused Netflix series, took hairpin narrative turns over and over until the very end. Then it just stopped, as if there was nothing more to say because it didn’t have anything terribly meaningful to say to begin with."

IMO wasn't a *bad* finale; it was a *fair* finale; but it wasn't a particularly good one either, and it took wild stretches of logic to get that final scene. The methodical and cagey PI doesn't run off to the PD with the DNA evidence but instead chooses to stick around to confront and gloat to a family of people he knows are capable of murder... for what? Oh, so Jonah can have his "twist" ending. Like too many other things with this series... DUMB.

Last edited: May 6, 2022
  14. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

On the one hand, she did, and on the other hand, she got off easy. Getting a quick death from the cartel was probably a blessing, given what she had done.

15. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

My story is that
    after the screen went blank Jonah shot Wendy
    and I'm sticking to it.

16. the real pope ondine

the real pope ondine Forum Resident

the whole last season felt like a retread and a letdown...bring back Rachel after a perfect character arc and have her be totally out of character and not really do anything .... if i were to recommend to somebody i'd say skip the last season

17. NettleBed

There is no rational reason for this to be the case.
    Which (unfortunately) means that it's not out of the realm of possibility, for this show! But nevertheless, nothing was set up within the narrative to suggest this outcome.

18. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

Also one thing that can’t be overlooked is that the series showed women in power. Lots of them.

19. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Marty should have called that number!

aorecords, Armjim and JohnG like this.
  20. Joe Stewart

Joe Stewart Forum Resident

I enjoyed the final season but the show had so many plot lines, the final episode was kind of a mess trying to tie it all up. I wonder if a rewrite was done with the last few episodes. Remember at the beginning of season 5 when they did the flash forward car crash scene? When the actual moment came in the show, it was almost meaningless and everyone climbed out and went on with life like it never happened. I thought that was very strange.

Breaking Bad did those flash forwards and they were major parts of the story. The Ozark one was pointless and makes me wonder if the ending changed after they aired the first episode of the season.

21. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The ending was a bit disappointing because it all seemed inevitable. But overall Ozark was a great ride and is now in my top ten favorite tv series.
    Really started liking Cartel Boss Navarro who almost seemed decent compared to the Byrds and his sister the new cartel leader.

22. trd

trd Forum Resident

Agreed but also what else was he gonna say? :laugh:

23. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

I felt the same way, so have decided to interpret it differently.

The lighting after the crash was very soft and bright. This indicates a transition to heaven. Thus everything after is Wendy's dying fantasy where she gets everything she wished. The Sopranos-like cut to black is the moment she passes away.

aroney and Joe Stewart like this.
  24. Why would Wendy care about the PI/cop getting whacked?

25. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

My friend's elderly mom once rode an elevator with Richard Thomas. She said, "Well hello there, John Boy!"

His response: "MY NAME IS RICHARD THOMAS!"

Too bad she didn't say: "Well I'm sorry, John Boy!" :laugh:

Mr Class & Quality? and Scope J like this.