Ozzy Osbourne Blizzard of Ozz 40th Anniversary Release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by veon, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Quantum Reason

Quantum Reason Forum Resident

40 years, huh? Damn time has flown! I still have Blizzard, Diary, Tribute, the Mr Crowley EP and the boot Bats Head Soup (Cleveland 81) on vinyl. Ozzy and Kevin waited too long to release any physical media on Randy. Of course, it's possible that Ozzy could still release some physical media anniversary for Blizzard and Diary, but Covid may have thrown things off. I Don't Know! But, yeah, what ever happened to the material that Kevin had before he passed? Was anything ever really released? There was that CD that was released with the re-worked tracks and I luckily have Quiet Riot`s original vinyl.

2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

kevin had some footage and another randy years cd was supposedly in the works

joshm2286 and sandimascharvel like this.
  3. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

Agree with everyone here. This entire thing is repackaged and a disappointing missed opportunity. Every single track was released on CD before and done better before.

The hi res samples are the same as the 2011 digital release and sound identical. Compressed remastering. One of my original Blizzard Japan Jet CD's sounds way better than this.

The live tracks are taken from the Ozzy Live 2011 bonus disc and sound brickwalled just like the CD, which is so loudly brickwalled and fatiguing I can hardly listen to it unfortunately.

"You Said It All" sounds great on the "Crazy Babies" promo CD. It sounds totally compressed on the samples from the 40th.

Where are these tracks? --

---"Goodbye to Romance" 1980 single remix - done but never released and never leaked. Bob showed the studio invoice for this in his book.

---"No Bone Movies" 1980 original intended B-side version - dropped from the 2002 remaster but leaked prior

---"Mr. Crowley" 1980 Live EP version (this was available on CD on the rare Back to Ozz CD EP - beware of CD oxidation on that release pressed by PDO UK)

---"Suicide Solution" Live EP version (never released digitally)

---"You, Looking at Me Looking at You" (original 7" B-side version without cowbell and a different mix)

From what I've seen:
    If something was released prior with Bob and Lee, Ozzy has reissued it. Anything else has been dropped. I read that new agreements would have to be made for anything not released previously.

Things that have been officially announced on releases with Bob and Lee that were later dropped and remain locked up:

---"Revelation Mother Earth" "7:23 previously unreleased version", likely the full version with the RR solo at end (dropped from 2011 Blizzard reissue)

---"Tonight" - "6:09 long version" (dropped from 2011 Diary reissue)

---"You Can't Kill Rock n Roll" "7:11 long version" (dropped from 2011 Diary reissue)

---"Diary of a Madman" "6:08 2010 remix" (dropped from 2011 Diary reissue)

---Southampton Live (bonus CD dropped from the 2011 Blizzard reissue). This was going to be 10 tracks from CD Japan's original listing, so it likely would have excluded the 2 live Tribute tracks from the show and "You Said It All" from the soundcheck.

Southampton Live will likely never be released since Ozzy took the guitar solo from "Suicide Solution" (again) and the keyboard intro from "Mr. Crowley" and spliced them into the Ozzy Live show which was from 1981. At least we have some of the tracks from the show.

Montreal will likely never be released either since Ozzy spliced the solo from that too into Tribute and used "Flying High Again" for Ozzy Live. A shame, because many believe Montreal to be Randy's best professionally recorded show, myself included.

Where's all of the video like everyone mentioned? Ozzy and Sharon proved they have stuff with the recent doc - the ET footage. This would be incredible to see! The clips out there are unreal. And such massive guitar tone, it's huge. I would take that over all of the tracks I mentioned above.

And the Detroit show including the band jam/solo section would be awesome.

4. sandimascharvel

I met Kevin before a club gig shortly after QR the RR Years came out and talked to him about that. He said he wished he could find the master for "One In A Million".

VH3FAN, ceddy10165 and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

If they rereleased live and loud on bluray, perhaps they can make it sound like it wasn't mixed by a deaf guy, in a toilet, under the water

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  6. BourbonAndVinyl

BourbonAndVinyl Forum Resident

I have always considered 'Blizzard of Ozz' to be one of the most important metal albums ever... I think it's Ozzy's best LP, tho I do have a soft spot for 'Diary.' To have this be the "40th" anniversary edition is wildly disappointing. Half-*ssed to say the least. This is not the treatment this classic deserves. I guess we have to wait for the money-hungry vampire Sharon to shuffle off her mortal coil before we see the Osbourne camp do a deal with Daisley. Sigh.

7. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

yeah, they know that...but if you could just give them your money all the same, that would be fab. Sharon has a lifestyle for you to keep.

Purple, Sean, FVDnz and 2 others like this.
  8. Matthew Tate

Greenalishi, VH3FAN, Sean and 2 others like this.
  9. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Maybe we can just honor the anniversary the old fashioned way, by digging out our originals and playing them. I won’t be disappointed by that!

10. Matthew Tate

here is the QR song "one in a million" btw

11. sandimascharvel

Indeed! I was just playing my original Blizzard and B-sides.

I have the band known as the Blizzard Of Ozz in my avatar. Note that the rest are album covers, but I wanted to honor all 4 members of one of the greatest bands (not "session musicians", as the re-writers of history unfairly claim).

12. sandimascharvel

They have only been releasing tracks with Bob and Lee that were already out in 1980-81. "You Said It All" and the other 2 EP tracks were first released in 1980 in the UK. They won't release anything else with them. From what I read, new agreements would need to be made for anything not previously released.

13. sandimascharvel

True, and good for Bob for sticking to his guns. He didn't want them to re-write more history by editing out all of his and Lee's input, which they most certainly would have done like they always have. All the way back in 1981, they asked Tommy Aldridge to redo Lee's drums on Diary. He refused. Bob and Lee remain uncredited for their playing on Diary.

Purple, painted8, Sean and 4 others like this.
  14. sandimascharvel

Indeed, never before seen snippets from the 1982 Diary tour Entertainment Tonight footage that they have. 3 or 4 songs, including "Over the Mountain", "Crazy Train", and "Mr. Crowley" professionally recorded without an audience with the full castle stage with an unbelievable huge thick monster guitar tone that is not on any official Ozzy release because nothing Ozzy has released with Randy is from 1982. Other snippets are out there, but if they put out the whole thing, that would be amazing and help endure Randy's legacy, and Ozzy's for that matter.

15. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The potential contractual issues are interesting. If Daisley and Kerslake were salaried employees during their Blizzard of Ozz tenure, there is the possibility that they were paid for their work during that period and do not have any veto power over what is released. However, the issue could be related to royalty payments for unreleased work. It would be interesting to see the 1979/1980 era agreements to determine what autonomy the Osbourne camp has, and what potential rights Daisley and Kerslake have.

16. PacificOceanBlue

Thanks for condensing all of the various recordings that were previously released and the others that were planned and later cancelled into one post. The 2010 30th anniversary of Blizzard of Ozz had the potential of being quite significant -- even if Daisley's tapes couldn't be utilized, the entire Southampton concert would have been a tantalizing inclusion.

With respect to Ozzy taking pieces of Southampton and Montreal and inserting them into other releases, I don't think that in itself will prohibit the release of those complete tapes at a later date. It is easy enough to point out that a song or part of song was issued on a different release -- it should not bar the release of the same music as part of its original concert recording (artists and labels do it all the time).

17. PacificOceanBlue

Blizzard is a seminal metal album, one of the best in the genre. I think it is easy for people to forget the significance of that album, and the musical supremacy it offers. Metal evolved quite a bit after 1980, and to some, the album may sound less advanced and progressive compared to contemporary works. And it doesn't help that Ozzy became a bit of a punchline and a major piece like Crazy Train became a watered-down pop culture piece to some degree (i.e. being licensed in goofy commercials). But just imagine hearing that album for the first time circa 1980? Imagine hearing those songs and that guitar work; it was really quite extraordinary.

In terms of speculation of what could happen once Sharon is no longer involved, one suspects Jack Osbourne could ensure some of the archival tapes from Ozzy's legendary years are finally released.

18. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I disagree. Jack's loyalty is going to be to his mother and not to the fans. The release of Ozzy/Randy stuff may be good for our version of Ozzy's legacy but the Osbourne family has sold an entirely different version of that legacy that archival releases won't change.

Even assuming Jack becomes the decision maker you have to believe Sharon will have the legalities of Ozzy's work taken care of long before she passes.

If cutting Bob Daisley into the financial equation is the holdup it might be more likely that something would come out when Bob passes away. What are his wishes, who will control his estate? Maybe that person will just sell anything Ozzy related to the Osbournes for next to nothing if they don't want to deal with it.

The Osbournes have already cemented Ozzy's legacy to probably it's greatest financial degree. There's likely more money in a set of Prince of Darkness stuffed animals than anything music related.

joshm2286, fretter, slipkid and 3 others like this.
  19. dislocatedday

dislocatedday Senior Member

When I went off to 6th grade and middle school in the Fall of 1980, that is when I started getting exposed to all sorts of music, and when I first heard Blizzard of Ozz. That album along with Diary of a Madman, and the early Van Halen albums were the ones that really blew my mind from a guitar playing perspective as well as having the songs to go along with the great playing.

I vividly remember, that in my school at least, Eddie Van Halen and Randy Rhoads were the two top dogs in rock guitar at that time............and everybody else was a distant third.

bataclan2002, BobFever, Sean and 3 others like this.
  20. PacificOceanBlue

Well, that would be quite an estate planning document -- Sharon controlling what is released from the grave indefinitely. And yes, Jack is loyal to his parents, but he may have his own vision for his father's music and legacy. That said, I know very little about the guy, so I am just presenting a general theory. With respect to the Blizzard outtakes and live reels, a lot depends on who owns it. Has it ever been revealed who owns Ozzy's masters and session reels? Often it is the label (occasionally, ownership reverts to an artist, e.g. Bruce Springsteen). If Sony has an ownership interest and Sharon is no longer Ozzy's manager, it is unclear if she will be able to stop the release of certain recordings. And you are correct, once the principles are no longer alive (i.e. Ozzy, Sharon, and Bob), those estates, in conjunction with Sony, may be able to work much more freely.

joshm2286, Sean, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  21. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I’m sure a lot of us do remember what it was like hearing Blizzard and Diary when they came out. I was just a little kid, but thought that music was incredible - like something from another world. I saved up my little allowance for months to save up and buy those cassettes from Caldor’s. I still remember coming home excitedly the day my Mom picked up Diary for me and playing it for the first time. What seems like a hundred imaginary bedroom air guitar concerts followed. Randy has been one of my main heroes since then. My admiration for him and those records has only grown in the 40 years since.

some good guitar magazine scans here - Randy Rhoads Archive

cageyc, painted8, JSKC and 3 others like this.
  22. BourbonAndVinyl

BourbonAndVinyl Forum Resident

Great points one and all... I'm old enough I don't have to imagine hearing the album for the first time in 1980 I lived through it. I went over to my buddy Todd's house... his mom worked so no one was home. He'd just bought 'Blizzard' and after burning some local herbs for medicinal purposes we cranked it up and I was blown away. Randy Rhoads was a revelation. It was heavy but nimble. There was some sense of humor which was sorely lacking in metal outside of VH. It was a great experience.

cageyc, slipkid, painted8 and 3 others like this.
  23. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

When I was a kid, in the year after Randy died, I walked around the neighborhood and sold candy bars as a fundraiser for my little league team. As I approach one of the houses a teenage boy was in the driveway with a Randy t shirt on. “Cool shirt!” I said. “He’s my brother” was the reply. “Come on inside” he said.” Turns out it was one of Randy’s step brothers. I went inside and was given a short tour. A painting of Randy hung over the fireplace, and his baby, child, and school pictures hung on the walls. It was quick, but magical. I ran home, put the speakers in my window and cranked Blizzard in tribute. I was a very shy kid, and respectful, and I never went back and knocked on the door. I rode my bike by there all the time hoping it would happen again, but it never did. Would have loved to have met and talked to his Dad, who was a local teacher and instrument manufacturer. It meant a lot to me and still does.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    CBackley, daltieri, The Hud and 22 others like this.
  24. sandimascharvel

It will be interesting to see. It was so nice to see how much enthusiasm, respect, and awe Jack showed in that episode they filmed in Sony's Iron Mountain vault. He wanted to play the Southampton reel (which they showed the reel box clearly labeled) but Ozzy was sad about it. They then showed the master reel for "Crazy Train" and played the unmixed master reel with all of these extra guitar parts in it. It was unreal! All of these guitar sounds like a train in the beginning that were left out. This awesome pick scrape that leads into the solo (which I wish would have made it into the final mix, but did not, but appeared in the 2002 hatchet jobs). Amazing stuff.

So there's really cool stuff in those vaults. And true, who owns those masters? Who will have control? Certainly now, Sony, Ozzy, and Sharon have worked together in deciding what to let out. I guess time will tell.

25. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I'm also just presenting general theories as I'm not in the know about any of this.

To be clear I didn't suggest any estate planning would be for an indefinite period of time. But this isn't a standard artist/client relationship. And for that matter Ozzy isn't the standard client as for many years he's seemed barely able to function without a handler let alone make financial or career decisions.

This isn't the type of situation where I would expect the artist or the manager to pass away and have a radical turnaround in how the legacy is treated as far as musical releases.

And as far as indefinite, to begin with, I'm 49 years of age. So speaking selfishly my version of indefinite doesn't go for 50 years. And I may be slightly on the younger side of the fan base interested in a comprehensive Ozzy/Randy package. We're in the prime of when this would have it's best sales possibility. In 30 years (let alone really long term) nobody is going to remember You Said It All, You Looking At Me Looking At You or sadly even Randy Rhoads, they're going to remember Prince of Darkness and a guy screaming "SHARON" like a lunatic. Our lunatic is gone and their lunatic has replaced him.