Pacific Stereo - share your memories

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Socalguy, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

I remember that I thought those were one of the better speakers at the local Tech Hi Fi in Totowa N.J. Couldn't afford any of that stuff as a teenager of course.

Sal1950 likes this.
  2. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Just found this in the cupboard:
    upload_2020-5-4_8-32-9.png

3. Infinitybuff

Infinitybuff New Member

Howdy all. I just joined this wonderful discussion group to share a few of my fond memories of Pacific Stereo. I was involved with PS from the very beginning. I was a salesman for the Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill, and San Francisco stores, and regional stockman for the SF Bay area.

I lived in Berkeley and just happened to live next door to one of the founding partners of Pacific Stereo, Ted Bennett.

And here comes my most fondest memory of PS.

In 1962, when I was a teenager, Mr Bennett hired me to manufacture small 2 way bookshelf speakers in his basement. These speakers were inspirational: 8 in woofer and 2 in dome tweeter with an ElectroVoice crossover in a Walnut veneer cabinet. Mr. Bennett was planning to produce speakers to add to a component stereo section he had proposed for the original Berkeley Pacific Electronics store. Pacific Electronics at the time only sold electronic components, like tubes, transistors etc., and was a service and repair shop, but Mr. Bennett had the brilliant idea to add component stereo sales to the mix. With successful component sales PE subsequently transformed into the first Pacific Stereo store and thus was history.

And after we could not keep up with demand, the speaker production I was involved with as a teenager moved around, relocated, and ultimately became Quadraflex Industries.

After graduating from high school 1966, I went off to college, and then returned to become a salesman at the Walnut Creek Store. And thus was my history. I left PS in 1971 to attend graduate school, but just in time before CBS acquired PS and ultimately lead it down a fatal path to its demise.

As far as acquiring personal stereo equipment while working at PS, I utilized many options. Often, I would purchase the vintage stereo equipment from my customers trade-ins they would have been given credit towards their purchase. I used employee discount purchases. I won a few sales contests. And I purchased equipment from other salesmen.

As a result I amassed a fine stereo component system that I still have operating today. That includes two Infinity Servo-static I a speaker systems, a Harman Kardon Citation A pre-amp, a Harman Kardon Citation 15 tuner, and a Panasonic Technics direct drive turntable with Rabco arm. I recently replaced the Dynaco tube amps and Harman Kardon Citation 12 amps with Carver amps. And I still have a Spectrasonic 110 receiver.

Got a lot more memories to share.

Rodant Kapoor, VU Master, Ere and 7 others like this.
  4. Sal1950

Sal1950 Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing and opening a little window on the past. It's fun to kick around the stories and remember the days when HiFi was King. ;)
    Keep them coming please.
    Sal

Jerry likes this.
  5. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

I know.. RogerSound Labs revolutionized the golden years hifi system in the US.
    Southern CA. 80's in my teens. Only 3 things we do everyday after school. surf, go to tower records and hang out in RogerSound Labs. A lot of RSL speakers and systems, New olds tock Japanese hifi's, some trade ins, tube amps and speakers. That's where I met my love at first sight on hifi. The Rauna tower speakers and Marantz 8b. What a combination and all I do every night is to dream about it. Finally got my Rauna 7 years ago in impeccable shape. It felt like t was just waiting for me throughout the years. Running it with several kt88 amps. Its just a dream come true. It all started right there at that small shop in Torrance, CA. I wish Howard Rogers (founder) is still around. Just to thank him and hope to hear more about his ventures. The knowledge he gave us and shared is like an open flood gates and otherwise we would be lesser today.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Jerry likes this.
  6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

@Jerry or anybody else --

There's an episode of QUINCY, M.E., on TV right now,

"Quincy M.E." A Dead Man's Truth (TV Episode 1977) - IMDb

....and during the opening credits, there is a humongous "PACIFIC STEREO" sign visible, with a couple of scenes filmed inside a large stereo shop, with "Quadraflex" boxes visible. I think this is the Pacific Stereo shop in N. Hollywood, near Lankershim/Vineland/Camarillo deathtrap intersection, and I'm pretty sure the interior shots are of the actual store. Anybody able to confirm?

Matt Richardson and Jerry like this.
  7. MLutthans

s-l1600 (2)~2.jpg

VU Master, ggergm, oboogie and 2 others like this.
  8. MLutthans

9. Jerry

I only worked at the northern CA stores in Capitola and Monterey, sales, then management. Got to meet and chat up Stevie Wonder and Carlos Santana, who would regularly come into the Capitola store to gab while his wife shopped at Long’s.

10. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

there was another retailer like Pac Stereo in my home state called Jafco and they used carry all the latest from back in the day especially "phase Linear which was the brand they where pushing

Bubbamike likes this.
  11. MLutthans

Update: in the last 15 minutes of that Quincy episode, there is a lengthy scene in the shop, with the lights on. Bose speakers and an Advent Model 300 clearly visible.

Matt Richardson and Jerry like this.
  12. Jerry

I’ll have to see if that episode is on On Demand, thanks!

We sold a lot of Bose and Advents, and pushed Infinity speakers with their beautiful woodwork and plastic cones. I won a pair of Advent 6003’s, the lines first 3-way speaker. I later traded them in for a much better pair of Celestion Ditton 250’s.

Shawn and MLutthans like this.
  13. A Grain of Sand

A Grain of Sand Forum Resident

I bought my first stereo at the Pacific Stereo in Long Beach, CA., mid 70s. Boy, did they see me coming. For a little less money than a Pioneer I got me a SounDesign receiver with speakers and BSR turntable included. Luckily it got stolen and my parents had insurance. With that money I went to Walachs (sp) Music City and got me a used HR Scott receiver with AR4x speakers. My first lesson, I’m still learning.

14. Jerry

15. Ampexed

Ampexed Forum Resident

I worked in the service department of the Pacific Stereo in Canoga Park while I was studying music at Cal State Northridge. It was a very forgettable time.

Jerry likes this.
  16. jim249

jim249 Forum Resident

The only thing I remember buying from there was a Sony flat screen tube TV. All of my audio gear came from Roger Sound Labs stores (RSL).

quicksrt and Matt Richardson like this.
  17. Classic Car Guy

I bought my very first cassette deck with them. The manager gave me a student discount and lay away for 60 days which they weren't even doing at that time. He probably felt so sorry for me for I was always there watching those people buying those nice Marantz stereo brand new in the box while I was dropped jaw with a busted wallet college boy. Gotta start somewhere right..:-plnktn-:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
    TarnishedEars likes this.
  18. Classic Car Guy

Is its true that - fast times at ridgemont high- was in canoga park?

19. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

My dad purchased a pair of 3-way infinity bookshelf speakers at one of their sales back around 1982 or so. I never really cared for those speakers. They always sounded sterile to my ears.

20. Ampexed

Ampexed Forum Resident

Yes, I believe it was filmed at Canoga Park High School. It's on Tujunga Blvd. Had a girlfriend who went there, but she didn't know Jeff Spicoli.

21. Classic Car Guy

Pacific stereo in Torrance was really nice if I remember they were in Sepulveda and Crenshaw which is pretty cool for that was close to my moms house and school. Just like a good mile or 2 was Roger Sound Labs, Tower Records, The Wherehouse and right by Redondo beach was concert by the sea. Ive seen so many big Jazz player at that venue. Unbelievable I watched David Benoit, Russ Freeman like 15 feet away from me.
    On summer days we use to hang out at Pacific Stereo right after school or even after surfing. Sometimes Tower records were giving away promotions like singles and popcorns. I really enjoy those days.

22. Ampexed

Ampexed Forum Resident

Nah, everything you could buy at all those places you can get on Amazon today. See how much nicer and richer life is now? :yikes:

23. Classic Car Guy

Be that as it may, the biggest picture is the togetherness and life which I don't think any money can buy. I made a promise to my wife this year I would be spending more time being out and enjoying myself.
    Maybe I bit more than I could chew for it will never exempt me being slave-driven in my own house. Lets say, I wanna record some music, I have to plan it a day and it takes a lot of obstacles for me to reach to that plan including both jobs, cooking for my wife and my kitty, taking care of the house, then the last is the stereo. I guess that comes with the package.
    PS. My preference is more in the Silverface Retro Style. Its very hard for me to by something in the new market today. Nothing better or best but I prefer the craftsmanship of the old school.

24. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

We didn't have Pacific Stereo back in Jersey at the time, but we had Tech Hi Fi. The carpet in that place got crusty from all of the drool deposited over the years. Of course I could never afford most anything in the store. I'll never forget hearing Led Zep I through OHM Model As driven by a Phase Linear 700. Bonham's cymbals just floated above the speakers. OMG!

Matt Richardson likes this.
  25. mjcmt

mjcmt Forum Resident

Bought my Sony TA3200 power amp and Thorens TD124 turntable from them in the early '70s. I miss great stereo shops from those days. It's not the same drooling over gear on-line.