Packages from UK delayed - anyone else having this problem?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by gillcup, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member Thread Starter

I have two orders from the UK from ebay which been very delayed. I contacted one of the sellers and they pointed me to an ebay notice that mail from the UK has been delayed due to weather conditions. It's been nearly 5 weeks on the oldest order and 3 weeks on the 2nd.

Is anyone else experiencing similar delays? Does anyone know how bad things really are in the UK? No mail leaving the country for over 4 weeks? I know they were having problems, but I didn't realize it was this bad.

Misery loves company so if anyone else is having similar problems, could you post here with how long you've been waiting.
    Thanks,

Mark

2. elvotix

elvotix Forum Resident

I have been waiting over a month for vinyl shipped November 17th, about a month for a cd from an Amazon.UK reseller, and a month for the 2-cd Goldfrapp live cd. Did receive something last Friday from RoughTrade - shipped week of November 25.

Only the Amazon.UK reseller has commented on the weather. They also offered to refund my purchase, should I not want to wait any longer.

Have ordered many many items from England & Europe over the years - usually takes about 7 to 10 days. Whatsaholdup ??

3. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

I get 45s from the UK frequently. Most take avg of 7 days from date of shipment. I just received a shipment that was mailed on Nov 29th and delivered Saturday Dec 18th--nearly 3 weeks.

4. paradiddl

paradiddl Forum Resident

The UK weather conditions are really bad at the moment. If I remember right it was Heathrow airport in London that had to cancel all the flights of the day because they don't have the equipment to sweep the snow off the airport.

Because of the conditions it doesn't take long for mail delivery to get delayed, and the ball goes rolling. It may take another few weeks until everything is back to normal.

Sorry I can't join the mourning crowd, as I don't have any orders from the UK right now. :rolleyes:

5. 926am

926am Senior Member

I had a package that arrived after 5 weeks from the uk....

6. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

I've ordered many items from the UK over the past 15 years and no order has taken longer than 11 days, with almost all coming in about 7-8 days.

I'll have to try and be patient. :(

7. ringosshed

ringosshed Forum Resident

I have never had a problem with anything my family and friends have sent from the UK.
    I have even had stuff that I received in 3 days!! Average time I would say is between 7-9 days. All of my family's xmas pressies arrived no problem.

8. Mr Wensleydale

Mr Wensleydale Forum Resident

There is a massive backlog of post in the UK at the moment owing to our complete inability to cope with a bit of snow. I've been waiting over 2 weeks for 3 Amazon packages posted with Amazon Prime that were supposed to arrive the following day.

So, I wouldn't worry too much. If you're lucky it will arrive for Christmas...

2011!

9. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I ususally receive cd's from the UK in about 5 days, but my most recent order is waiting on 4 weeks now. At least your thread has given me hope that it may actually arrive, even if it's a huge delay.

10. paradiddl

paradiddl Forum Resident

I've once waited a CD for over two months of dispatch from Hong Kong. I had given up hope and the seller had already given me a full refund after 1 month of waiting, but a few weeks later I found the Lynyrd Skynyrd CD in my mailbox. Don't know if the letter had flown around the world or if the customs decided to keep the great tunes for their office or what, but 2 months shipping was hilarious. I paid the seller back the same day, he was pleased too. :)

Some crooked minds wouldn't have said a word in that same situation, even some of my friends admitted that when I told them about it. I felt happier doing the right thing.

11. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I got an email from MOJO Magazine that my January issue would be delayed due to the weather. It arrived the next day.

12. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I am still waiting for a vinyl record from England that the seller says was mailed in mid November. This is a very reliable seller, from whom I've bought many LPs. So, this situation is unusual.

13. Ha ha.

Seriously - some flights are making it in and out of the UK/London but many more are not, due, so they tell us, to too much ice on the aircraft (& certain runways). The weather forecast ain't too good but the temperature is expected to lift above zero on Christmas day.

If it snows again though that could change the situation with even further delays.

I placed an Amazon.co.uk next day delivery order 6 days ago and am still waiting...........

14. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

This is interesting, all my sales have arrived in good time, as they usually do, but a DVD I sent to a friend back in November hasn't arrived yet, this was before we had bad weather, and all Royal Mail has to do is get it to the airport so I guess there is some sort of delay in the States, maybe due to the attempted bombings?

15. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

The Snow here in UK is holding everything up , Britain can't cope with Snow... Be patient, I sent a parcel over to family in America on the 15th of November to try and miss postal delays....it arrived this past Saturday, I'm just relieved they finally got it.

16. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Same here. I'm waiting for three packages (from three different sellers) which all shipped from the UK in November.

17. elvotix

elvotix Forum Resident

I received 2 of my 3 late shipments from England this afternoon, the cd from the Amazon UK reseller and the new Goldfrapp live 2xcd, both in good shape. Looks like they're finally getting the late mail delivered.

18. ringosshed

It wasn't snowing in Nov. Something else is a foot!!

19. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

Perhaps new Homeland Security rules regarding mailed packages not allowed on passenger jets (into US)?

20. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

I placed an order in early Nov. from UK that was shipped Nov. 8. Just received it today. Seller said they had delays on packages delivered in that time frame due to Homeland Security rules.

21. ringosshed

This sounds much more likely for the delays.

22. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Waiting for a CD ordered back in mid November. Awaiting patiently....Good to know it's not me.

23. jrice

jrice Senior Member

I get stuff from Amazon UK regularly. Some packages have been getting here only slightly slower than usual but right now I'm waiting on two that were shipped on Nov 15 & 16 even though more recent parcels have already arrived.

24. Jae

Jae Senior Member

That's what is causing delays here. Every package I've received from the US since December has had a yellow "CARGO" sticker on it...and all have taken over twice as long to get here (4-5 weeks instead of the usual 2), even from reliable sellers I've dealt with before.

Frustrating, but what can one do?

25. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

I think I might have all of you beat. Last year I won an LP (Kebnekaise album) on Ebay for a very good price. It didn't come for a month so I wrote the seller who said he had mailed it. I was a little suspicious, thinking perhaps he had not gotten as much money for it as he wanted and so had failed to send it. But what can you do, so he eventually refunded my money and I forgot about it.

About 8 months later the LP showed up in my mailbox! And the postmark was from 8 months before! I wanted to write him and let him know! But there was no return address on the box and the emails and etc had fallen off the list in Ebay, so I was never able to tell him or pay him again for the album. As it turned out, the LP had a fairly major fault to it, so I'm not sure it would have been worth returning or doing anything with, but it still amazed me and made me feel bad I had doubted the seller.

The question I then had was: what the hell had the US postal service been doing with it for the prior 8 months?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.