Parametric Equalizer

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chuck, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck

Chuck Senior Member Thread Starter

Looking for a good parametric equalizer for my home stereo system. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Chuck

2. GMav

GMav Senior Member

Avalon Designs AD 2055. I have one in my system and it is amazing. Good hunting Chuck.

Greg

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

How much $$$ do you have to spend?

4. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

[​IMG]

Gulp! Wow... that things gorgeous! $3700+ though!

5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Is this for use with pro or consumer gear?

Some companies like Aphex Tube EQ and Rane make some more reasonable EQs that may be able to interface with your stereo easier than some high end pro box with +4 XLRs. I was going to suggest a GML or Avalon but didn't because you'd need bump boxes and it would just get messy. Lots of extra electronic amps to run through.

There's tons of companies making similar boxes. These two are just the first ones I thought of.

6. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Here's a list of all the products Rane has designed specifically for home theaters. I've never used Rane gear (ha, pun unintentional ;)) but I know a lot of very good engineers do use it. Bill Vorndick is one that comes to mind. He does a lot of bluegrass and is Belle (Bela? Heck, I have no idea) Fleck's engineer and producer.

Check the stuff out. If it's not what you're looking for I'm sure it'll give you some ideas of what's out there.

7. Steve Hoffman

Some of this cheaper stuff can be dangerous folks. If you have a great sounding system, a little transistor EQ unit is going to do more harm than good to the overall sound. Why degrade your system? The only good sounding EQ is a good sounding EQ.

8. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Yup, you're right. But like I said, I've never used this stuff. I have GMLs, Neves, Focusrites, Tridents, Universal Audio, etc... EQs. The good stuff is, realistically, a little out of reach for home stereo enthusiasts, especially the ones with families. Not everyone can afford a $4000 equalizer.

Several mix engineers in town use that Aphex EQ for lead vocals and across their drum sub mixes. Not that it's an endorsement either. Never used one.

9. Steve Hoffman

This is the good stuff, but still, this disclaimer: It takes training and experience to operate one of these correctly! I've been working with them since High School and don't have it down yet...

10. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

You sure have most of us fooled.:)

You know, with age and experience you begin to realize that if you leave things alone they will have a better chance of sounding better.

I think a big lesson can be learned from your Pet Sounds mastering. Sure, the original recordings aren't pristine, which is why everyone else who's tackled that project has distorted the sonics in some way, add a little top, suck some bottom out, no-noise it, etc. You let it go as it was, not feeling that it was necessary to emphasize the high in high-fidelity or "clean up" the low end or destroy the tape hiss and it came out sounding beautiful... warts and all. Take a look on eBay and tell me how the untinkered version stacks up to all the others. The DCC goes for $100+ and the others are $10. I know that may seem like a poor comparison but I think it says volumes.

Just a few things to think about.:)

11. Chuck

Chuck Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm looking for something that's consumer quality , relatively easy to use, but not totally outrageous in price (but that AD 2055 is really beautiful). Thanks for the feedback.
    Chuck

P.S. One of the lessons that I've learned from this forum is that my wife may think I'm obsessive about music and HIFI equipment, but I'm beginning to realize that I'm not really THAT obsessive :)

12. vex

vex New Member

Unless you've got an amazing ear, to get the most out of a parametric EQ, you really need to use a spectrum analyzer. I've tried setting EQ myself and then checking it with a spectrum analyzer. I'm embarrassed to think how far off I was. After "dialing it in" with a spectrum analyzer, I was amazed at how much better my system sounded.

This was done with my car's sound system. I don't have an EQ in my home system but I'm sure the idea is the same. I have checked my home system with a spectrum analyzer and I was quite pleased to find that I don't really need any EQ (okay, some wouldn't hurt, but there isn't enough room for improvement to justify the extra expenditure).

Anyway, I highly recommend borrowing or renting a spectrum analyzer just to see where you're at. It was a very useful and informative exercise for me.

13. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I'd have to agree the only place they really work unless your a pro is in the car environment.
    The car environment needs all the help it can get.

JohnG

14. GMav

GMav Senior Member

Chuck,

I am sorry. Money can be a huge concern. I have spent a large amount of money (much to my wife's utter dis-belief), on my audio system, which is a totally seperate and dedicated system, from my video system. I have been collecting music since 1963, and have aquired a large amount of vinyl, tape and CD. I wanted to build a system which I thought would be worthy of my long term (and ongoing) investment in music. Thank goodness I have a understanding wife.

I hope you find what you are looking for. Good luck.

Greg

15. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Aren't Sontec's like 8 or 9 grand?

16. Steve Hoffman

They are expensive. All hand wired.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.