Parasite (2019)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by humanbeing, Sep 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I watch everything with subtitles now. The decline in my hearing over the years makes it hard to make out dialogue in most things I watch at home. Just part of it for me.

2. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

Yeah, it's definitely a uniquely American phenomenon - I have a VHS of 8 1⁄2 that's dubbed. Dubbed Fellini!
    We're so used to most of the media available to us being made for our market that many folks (outside of film buffs and those into niche subcultures like anime) never had the opportunity to get used to it as a regular part of the viewing experience. For most in my generation however (I'm 23) subtitles have finally stopped being a hurdle when it comes to watching films for those who are engaged with the medium, as the accessibility of digital has made international movies much more available, compared to a strictly regulated studio system convinced that outside of art theaters in large cities no one would be interested in content that's not in English.

KT88 and Black Magic Woman like this.
  3. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

It's not unique to the US. They dub eberything in Germany for the german speaking market (Germany, Austria, Switzerland). They use good voice actors and try to lipsync and all, but most people are so used to it that I don't get to see all the original versions in the cinema here in Austria. There are few english cinemas in the bigger cities, and orignal versions with subtitles are only shown in small arthouse cinemas. And when they show something in english with subtitles it's usually tuesday nights or some other slow evening. And that's just english with subtitles. Undubbed french, korean or whatever is very rare.

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Dub?​
    Also ..Italy ..France .. Spain

I watch all non English films in their original language ( w/subtitles) have done for decades.

But dubbed English films country’s loath subtitles.

Black Magic Woman likes this.
  5. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

i'm very impressed by this director Bong this awards season...this guy is cool as he comes despite not looking remotely cool ;)

someone replied to my original post on page 1 few months back saying, winning the best foreign film would only be distinct consolation prize, he was right and i was wrong :righton:
    this is a very layered movie with deep thought provoking intent from mr. Bong. i see lot of people categorized this movie as simple social class system type...that is too one dimensional for my liking. i believe what Bong really wants to say is about what the true value is in life...regardless of class. how so many are led rather blindly to value what is less important over what truly should be :shh:

in any case, congrats to the whole Parasite team and glad for their win.

davenav and alexpop like this.
  6. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Bong made a lot of good movies. I am sure his back catalog is now getting some notice. Well deserved.

davenav likes this.
  7. alexpop

Country’s that produced quality films in the past ?

USA 1930s: 1940s : 1950s
    Italy 1950s
    France 1950s
    Japan 1970s
    Spain 1950s
    S Korea 2010s

8. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

USA 70s? USA 90s?

Grootna likes this.
  9. townsend

townsend Senior Member

10. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Those are weird delineations. Many countries around the world have been producing great films in every decade since the 20s.

Black Magic Woman and BeatleJWOL like this.
  11. alexpop

Yeah ...not perfect. Just a example!

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

2 weeks ago, Kiss added "Parasite" to their setlist for the 1st time in years.

Then "Parasite" wins Best Picture.

Coincidence??? :whistle:

EVOLVIST, GodShifter and Mazzy like this.
  13. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Results of the "peaches allergy" sabotage?

Black Magic Woman likes this.
  14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

A good movie but I still don’t think it deserved the “best picture” award.

Whatever, though.

PH416156 and CraigBic like this.
  15. humanbeing

humanbeing Forum Resident Thread Starter

16. alexpop

With the new foreign films acceptance globally maybe a Danish best picture Oscar award next.

17. alexpop

Great enthusiastic astute review.

18. alexpop

American filmmakers will have to up their game.

Johnny Action likes this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

20. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I thought it was pretty good but I couldn't help but think it was a tiny bit overrated. Maybe it's just a product of the times we live in that everyone hyped the film to extreme levels. The "twist" was an interesting turn of events but in the end, it wasn't a "twist" so much as a monkey wrench is thrown into the picture which changes everything for the protagonists leading inevitably to events of the end of the film. It felt like there were maybe 3 different places they could have ended the film as well but they kept going because they felt the need to wrap up this or that.

21. alexpop

Parasite ?
    Well I went in not premeditated. That helped, I somehow expected it to be good( folk in the street raving about it), but I didn’t realise it would be that great!!! Hype can destroy one’s expectations. I over did it with QT: Once... mainly here in anticipation. But, even with seeing numerous trailers+ yacking about it here, I enjoyed the film immensely.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    johnnyyen and Brenald79 like this.
  22. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Don’t go see a movie because of the ‘hype.’

I’m reminded of Lost In Translation - a great, quiet little film that suddenly was “hyped” and folks walked out disappointed thinking it was going to be Star Wars or something.

Parasite is a great film done with style and a unique perspective. Don’t expect Lawrence of Arabia. Let it be what it is, and don’t walk in with unreasonable expectations for this, or any film.

Stormrider77 and brownie61 like this.
  23. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Parasite is a great movie, better as the boring 1917 ... or Once Upon... or the Irishman.

sberger likes this.
  24. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

As a HUGE fan of Korean cinema, I thought Parasite was a great movie. I'm glad it won 4 Oscars. Hopefully the glow will shine on other Korean movies. Here's a list of my favorite Korean movies through the end 2017.
    Best Korean Movies Ever Made - IMDb
    Enjoy!

25. George P

George P Notable Member

Spring Summer Fall Winter and Spring is an amazing movie. Glad to see it on your list.

Bruce Racket likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.